Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping n00b here  (Read 4426 times)

Offline wolfgang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
taping n00b here
« on: February 21, 2006, 05:04:31 PM »
i have read through pages and pages on this site. i have never recorded a show before, and i want to get some equipment to start taping. working with a limited budget, which of the following should i get?  (pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated)

recorder: 
- minidisc  (a lot cheaper)
- nomad jukebox 3

mics:
- Low Cost Stealthy Cardioid (LCSC) microphone set from core sound for $75 + battery box for $59
- something else??

i'm standing at the gate and i dont know how to begin to enter.  :o

spreadheadtom

Re: taping n00b here
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:11:53 PM »
cue Skalinder in 3.......2......1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
i have read through pages and pages on this site. i have never recorded a show before, and i want to get some equipment to start taping. working with a limited budget, which of the following should i get?  (pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=29057.0

mics:
- Low Cost Stealthy Cardioid (LCSC) microphone set from core sound for $75 + battery box for $59
- something else??

Depends on your budget.  Assuming your budget is reflected in the mics listed, other options include DIY, Giant Squid, Microphone Madness, or Sound Professionals.  Sorry, can't provide any input on which is preferable.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wolfgang

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:33 PM »
are recordings made with the mics listed and either a minidisc or jukebox 3 going to be absolute crap?  like so bad its not worth doing?

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »
are recordings made with the mics listed and either a minidisc or jukebox 3 going to be absolute crap?  like so bad its not worth doing?

not absolute crap, but you will thank yourself in the long run if you get a jb3 now, before they get even harder to find.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:10:40 PM »
I agree with O-Canis. For many years I recorded with a Sony pro walkman, and the little stereo mic it came with. The recordings usually ranged from good, to ok. Eventually I got a sharp MD which was very good for live recordings. I started to meet other tapers, and learned a lot of useful information. I then bought a battery box with a pair of AT 853 mics from a friend. That alone made a huge difference, and many of my recordings now were excellent. What I started to notice at that point, was I now found myself moving my focus from recording quality to sound and tonal quality. In many ways my recordings were just as nice as other's who had much more expensive equipment, but tonally, theirs might be crisper, or have fuller bass, or more dynamic range. I still loved the improvement in my recordings and their "listenability". So I have continued to progress slowly. I added a JB3 which after a MD was fantastic. I added some external battery power. Then I added a Microtrack 24/96, which I really like, and just recently have purchased (here on the yard sale) a modified UA-5, which I always wanted, but was in no hurry to get. I also added a SVU2 for metering, but this was all over a 2-3 year period, not so much because of the money, but because it took me a while to figure out what was what, what I liked, what I liked a lot, etc. I still have much to learn about mics, and positioning, but I have been happy with my recordings ever since I got the better mics. I am sure there are more purchases ahead of me, but what I have found, is that you can get great recordings with a limited budget, and this is a great place to ask a lot of questions. Then it is up to you and your ears to find what makes you happy. I made my first field concert recording in 1971, and it was on a Concord Cassette recorder with a pencil mic. The cassette was a type one, no Dolby, because those things were just about to hit the market. I recently transferred that show to CD, and I can safely say that good mics to a battery box to a jb3 (or even a MD recorder) is light years ahead.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline poppag76

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:18:51 PM »
I am also a noob to the audience taping but gaining ground.  I started taping in '97 but only board taping.  I started audience taping with a single point sony mic which I still have.  I pulled some decent shows that were listenable but nothing spectacular.  If you are looking for low budget, I suggest a DAT or JB3 since both are cheap and single point with stand to see if you are really in it for the long haul.  Some people may disagree but it takes a bit of dedication to the equipment as well as money to pull a good show.  That single point made my mind up. 
Berliner CM33->USBPre2->HD-P2(busman modded)

Offline wolfgang

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 03:21:12 PM »
does anybody know anything about these mics?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5861925266&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

I don't know if anyone on this board buys Church Audio gear but his stuff does come up a lot as a budget option.  He has posted on this board in the past and he seems to know what he's talking about... might not be a bad choice if you need something cheap.

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:04:02 PM »
I would love to send someone for FREE a pair of these mics to listen too I guarentee once they do they will buy them. I am looking for someone who will give it a fair and unbiased review.  I will send a pair out I would like to have it be someone that has been on here a long time and has respect of the users here.  I really do get offended when people say a cheap alternative these mics are as good as any out there for under $300 and I will refund anyone that purchases these mics and does not agree.

Chris Church
Church Audio
I have been a sound engineer for 20 years and worked with the best condenser mics in the industry these mics stand up
on there own

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »
I would love to send someone for FREE a pair of these mics to listen too I guarentee once they do they will buy them. I am looking for someone who will give it a fair and unbiased review.  I will send a pair out I would like to have it be someone that has been on here a long time and has respect of the users here.  I really do get offended when people say a cheap alternative these mics are as good as any out there for under $300 and I will refund anyone that purchases these mics and does not agree.

Chris Church
Church Audio
I have been a sound engineer for 20 years and worked with the best condenser mics in the industry these mics stand up
on there own

Nice offer, Chris.
Someone should definitely take him up on it.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 10:45:37 PM »

Chris Church
Church Audio
on there own

I'm not saying your stuff is cheap in the "this shit sucks" sense of the word.  More in the "this doesn't make me broke" sense.  I'm not really a veteran of this board nor am I what you could call a veteran taper but maybe there are some other folks here who are more qualified to take up the offer.

If not, I'll do it and report back with recording samples.  I could probably set up a comp running SP's CMC-8's against your mics if I could get a second recording device.

Offline wolfgang

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 11:16:22 AM »
so if you had to choose between these three choices, which would you choose?

a) getting a good recorder(jb3) and cheap mics

b) getting good mics and a cheap recorder (minidisc)

c) waiting and getting both good mics and good recorder

i'm thinking choice B because it seems from what i've read on here that good mics can make a world of difference.

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »
so if you had to choose between these three choices, which would you choose?

a) getting a good recorder(jb3) and cheap mics

b) getting good mics and a cheap recorder (minidisc)

c) waiting and getting both good mics and good recorder

i'm thinking choice B because it seems from what i've read on here that good mics can make a world of difference.

I would go w/ choice (c)...

You can usually find a JB3 for not much more than you can pick up a md... It shouldn't take long for you to save up the difference... It would save you upgrading to the jb3 in a mnth or 2...

But that's just me...

There's lots of md tapers who are really happy running their md's, I just personally prefer the jb3...
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com