Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question about soundboard recording  (Read 2192 times)

Offline willyjbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Question about soundboard recording
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:58:14 AM »
Obviously if I have the chance to get a soundboard recording at a big show, I go for it (I assume). However, I want to tape some local bands at a few bars and clubs where I'm from, and I'm curious if I should go for the soundboard (which wouldn't be a problem) or if I should just go for a normal recording. Reason I'm questioning it is because most of these places are so small that only the guitars and vocals are run through the PA. If the place has a decent house PA then they'll run the bass through it and mic the kick drum, toms, and snare but leave out cymbals since they usually sound fine. If I'm in one of these places where everything is not mic'd, should I still go for the soundboard and just assume it will turn better quality or should I just tape from somewhere on the floor so it's a better mix.

Also, are there any situations where it's NOT better to get a soundboard recording? Thanks in advance.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Question about soundboard recording
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:51:22 AM »
IMHO, soundboards in bars/clubs SUCK!!!.  Tape with your mics or mix the soundboard and mics together.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »
I would tape audience.  The soundman is running the sound so it sounds good in the room.  This may mean some stuff is miced, others not. 

You can bolster your audience recording by doing a matrix, where you add a little of the SBD signal to your recording. 

But overall, I don't think a SBD gives an accurate representation of the live sound.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline mikeincharleston

• Look At All These Short Hairy Men...I Feel Like I'm On The Forest Moon Of Endor
  • Too Cool For School!
    • Andolini's Pizza
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:34:59 AM »
i agree.  go audience if you have the means.  i've got lots of boards cause i don't own any mics and i'd say 1 in 10 is really worth listening too.  almost always the mix is way off
"I'm not bustin' out a boat oar sober" - Scott 9/21/07

My Trade List  

Upcoming Shows/Events!!!
Phish - N. Charleston Coliseum, Charleston, SC 10/16/10 (First Show In 7.5 Years & Show #33)
The Avett Brothers - S.C. State Fair, Columbia, SC 10/20/10
Dale Waton - Broken Spoke, Austin, TX 10/27/10

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:20:11 PM »
would it be worth it to a matrix and mix both? if so, i've never done that before and i would need some advice for that. i think my iriver h120 will only record from one source at a time. how would i rig this up exactly?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 02:05:13 PM »
how would i rig this up exactly?

You'll need 2 recording devices and mix them in post, or a 4 channel recorder (Edirol R4, Sound Devices 744, etc.).
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline willyjbrown

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 02:09:03 PM »
all i've got is my iriver h120, so it looks like i'll be taping from the floor if thats what you guys recommend. if anyone has any other comments or what not, please keep 'em comin

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 02:11:58 PM »
how would i rig this up exactly?

You'll need 2 recording devices and mix them in post, or a 4 channel recorder (Edirol R4, Sound Devices 744, etc.).

Or a mixer, or a UA5... 
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »
A matrix is usually very helpful, in my experience in bars and clubs, since as others have pointed out the board feed isn't usually very accurate, but in the room the bass and guitars can be overpowering when you have monitors and the PA combined in a small space. So the vocals from the sbd have really made a huge difference in the two-source mixes I've made.

I usually try to "team up" with another taper that can do a sbd feed, but now I have a UA-5 and will give matrixing on the fly a shot.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com