Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best gear backpack?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best gear backpack?
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:58:31 AM »
Going to hopefully start going to some shows using environmentally friendly bike transportation, but I'm going to need a different way to carry stuff.

Right now my rig goes in a Lowepro 180 (R-44, DVD battery, mics, cables, etc).  I wouldn't mind a bag that I could just stick that in the bottom of and then add clamps and stuff as well.  But I realize it may make more sense to get a backpack that already has the necessary slots to be a gear bag. 

I don't know if many here do this, but if you ride a bike with your gear, what's the best way to carry your stand?  Do you tie it to the bottom of the backpack a la camping equipment, or maybe to the bike frame so it's parallel? 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Best gear backpack?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
That's a question I've been thinking about as well, mostly for photography.  My tripod is crazy expensive, so I'm pretty cautious about it.  I'd be a lot less worried about a mic stand.  Here is one example...

I have a lowepro backpack for photo gear.  It has provisions for carrying a tripod vertically.  Basically, there is a pocket that flips open, exposing a pouch.  The head of the tripod generally goes in there.  And then there are adjustable elastic cords, with snap clips, on the top and bottom of the pack that wrap around the tripod.

It works reasonably well for carring a tripod, though it is optimized for walking, not being hunched over on a bike (since larger tripods will be at head level or higher).  My tripod is larger than the pack is intended to carry, so the combo is a bit much..

You might hit a high end photo store to see what they've got.  You might adapt something like that to another bag.   Ultimately, you just need a solution to bear the weight of the tripod and transfer it to the pack in a reliable way.  That could be a piece of webbing that wraps around the head, etc.  Once you've got that, you just need to keep the tripod centered on the pack.

I've been at shows that allowed recording, but would not allow carabiners.  So keep that in mind..

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »
I have a few bags that I have ridden with on my back with gear but never a stand.

The primary bag I have ridden with has been a low pro nova 4 which has my church mics, cables, batteries, and the 09hr recorder. The bag actually holds quite a bit so I'm assuming it can also hold the r44...I just haven't tried that yet. When riding, I just wear across my shoulders and re-adjust it as necessary and sometimes it gets in the way but its easy to fix.

For backpacks, I got one from my company that's a well padded laptop bag with plenty of storage space but still no room to attach a stand. I also picked up a fairly good size padded backpack from guitar center a couple years ago for $20. It seems like it would be the kind of bag to hold DJ stuff since it has one big cover on the front as opposed to the traditional zippered bags, but it still has a good number of smaller pockets to hold extra stuff.

Actually, I have taken a stand and gear on my bike. The bag was a blue and yellow hiking bag with straps on the bottom to connect around your waste and one to put over your shoulders. Its mount something or other, mount smith...I'll try search later. Its nice because on the outside there's a place to loop a small stand through some bungees. I was planning on riding 10-15 miles but the road was too dangerous and my bag was way too heavy to go all the way there and back BUT I was smart and packed a spare tube because later on in my ride I got a flat.

I don't know if your city has a bus system but taking your bike and the bus (if possible) would probably be the best thing so you don't get too worn out.

If you can avoid it, don't take a stand and just find a place to clamp. That is, unless you take a small stand like mine which is just a little over two feet closed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:34:48 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
I just read freelunch's reply and something came to mind when he mentioned tripods.

I have also carried those on my back while ridding my bike. I found going to thrift store an excellent place to buy collapsible chair bags and using those to carry tripods and I suppose mic/light stands. I have a long cloth chair bag that works great but of course there's no protection from the tripod/light stand resting on your back. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
You need a Targus Rakgear Deluxe. Mine holds everything and then some. It also has room for my stand(bogen 3373). It has a waste belt which would be good for biking.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
^^ The Rakgear looks more like what I'm talking about, I think.   I would probably only be riding 2-10 miles at most, pretty short distances within NYC.  For longer trips, there is the subway, but in my neighborhood there are some venues that are far enough that it would be nice to be able to bike instead of walk while carrying tons of gear.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline tungarbulb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
You need a Targus Rakgear Deluxe. Mine holds everything and then some. It also has room for my stand(bogen 3373). It has a waste belt which would be good for biking.

Where does one find this product? Google (as usual) is giving me little usable info. Even the Targus site  comes up blank when I search under "Rakgear". I guess this must be a discontinued product.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
Looks like Porta Brace has a new backpack

http://www.portabrace.com/productA-BK-2NR
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
^^ The Rakgear looks more like what I'm talking about, I think.   I would probably only be riding 2-10 miles at most, pretty short distances within NYC.  For longer trips, there is the subway, but in my neighborhood there are some venues that are far enough that it would be nice to be able to bike instead of walk while carrying tons of gear.

oh you're in nYc. thats a huge city so I think you wouldn't want bike ride across the entire city to see a show.

That tagus bag looks nice but its more than any bag I have paid for.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
I carry a small complete rig with compact stand (bogen/manfroto 001 in it's own mini chair bag) inside a daypack.  It's a tight fit to zip, but fits on a bit of a diagonal.  That stand is only a 6'er but I've made extentions out of all-thread rod, nuts and heat shrink and adding one of those that extends it to 8'.  Depends on the weight of mics and the stability required but at that height it's best if you can tie or clamp the stand to something.  The smaller stand is also light and less wieldy, so a win if it works. If tying to the outside of a pack, I'd orient it vertically, not horizontally because of the snag danger to yourself and others. 

For a large stand, tying to the frame might work better but stay away from the center triangle since anything there interferes with your legs.  Attaching to a typical 'behind the seat over the tire' style rack could work- either horizontally facing fore/aft on the rack top or tied vertically to a support leg on one side.  Make sure it's well secured since it's out of sight while riding back there.  I often prefer attaching other longish, bulky things to one front fork.  Easy to secure with great stability by strapping down-low by the hub and up-top to the handlebar.  That can be more secure, is easy to keep and eye on as you ride and balances the load better.  Just make sure it's secured so that it can't slip into the spokes for a suprise endo.  If the stand has tubular legs, you might consider popping off one foot and slipping the leg over the front wheel's quick-release squewer handle, with the handle oriented so it points upwards.  Sort of like a locating pin.  Still need to strap the stand to the fork and bar well, but that would keep it from slipping down or moving around much at the bottom.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:29:25 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »

oh you're in nYc. thats a huge city so I think you wouldn't want bike ride across the entire city to see a show.

That tagus bag looks nice but its more than any bag I have paid for.
They are much cheaper than a portabrace/pega bag. Here's one you should look at:This one is the standard model. My deluxe has a beefier handle on top. The differences in the standard and deluxe are few. The new ones have different racks than the old model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Black-Rakgear-BackPack-endorsed-Global-Health-/130412590378?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d32352a
J. Spicoli

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »

They are much cheaper than a portabrace/pega bag. Here's one you should look at:This one is the standard model. My deluxe has a beefier handle on top. The differences in the standard and deluxe are few. The new ones have different racks than the old model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Black-Rakgear-BackPack-endorsed-Global-Health-/130412590378?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d32352a

dude that's still a lotta money. ;)  That's actually a really great price!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
My vote goes to the RakGear Deluxe (or the new equivalent), as well.  There are other RakGear options, but I don't think they're as suitable -- smaller / oddly shaped shelves, fewer pockets, etc.  Bogen 3373 slots in one of the outer side mesh pockets, secured near its top with a strap.  I also carried a Bogen 18" Heavy Duty Flex Arm for a little extra height (or flexibility clamping to objects).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06:21 PM »
Well if you really want to get serious about hauling your gear on a bike, consider this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CC307B02-Xtracycle+Longtail+Hitchless+Trailer+Kit.aspx?sc=FRGL

The Xtracycle attaches to your bike and moves your rear wheel back.  It makes your bike longer and allows you to carry large & long loads.  I can get my entire recording kit in this thing (and I have WAY too much gear) including 3 mic stands (one 13' and two 8' stands).

I have had one of these for about 5 years now and I use it all the time.  When I bought it I thought I'd never get my money out of it, but I'm sure it paid back in the first year.  For example, I bought a truck in 2005 and have put only 15000 miles on the truck since then (that's only 3000 miles/year) because I use the Xtracycle so much.

Or you could get one of those single wheel trailers like this:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171080_-1_201521_10000_200508

I've owned a trailer similar to the one above; it's less expensive than the Xtracycle but does not work nearly as well.

And good on ya for riding you bike!

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
Does anyone know of a source for a RakGear Deluxe (new or used)?  I missed out on the one in the YS recently and have been trying to find one ever since...they must be discontinued and as noted by others, the newer RakGear version is not the same.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »

i love this bag.  I've thought about picking up a second one if this thing ever rips

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
I bought one of these a few years ago and it ripped up within a few months.   All the internal separations ripped and its one big compartment now.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
I bought one of these a few years ago and it ripped up within a few months.   All the internal separations ripped and its one big compartment now.
My regular one ripped at the seams in a couple spots. I reinforced the rak with duct tape. The deluxe has beefier stitching and  more support so it doesn't tug at the stitches as much.

The rakgear on ebay just sold for 5.70 brand new! I hope the OP bought it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:20:21 AM by Kevin Straker »
J. Spicoli

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Does anyone know of a source for a RakGear Deluxe (new or used)?  I missed out on the one in the YS recently and have been trying to find one ever since...they must be discontinued and as noted by others, the newer RakGear version is not the same.

Just watch ebay. This bag is worth the wait. Love the Rakgear.

Offline goatfarmer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »
I've been using this Canon bag for several years and find it very reliable. Sturdy construction, changeable dividers, lots of pockets (sometimes too many when you're looking for a cable) and my stand straps to it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html#

~Doug
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »
I've been using this Canon bag for several years and find it very reliable. Sturdy construction, changeable dividers, lots of pockets (sometimes too many when you're looking for a cable) and my stand straps to it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html#

~Doug

I've got this Canon bag as well and have been very happy with it. Lotsa interior space, lotsa dividers and lotsa pockets.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »

~Doug

I've got this Canon bag as well and have been very happy with it. Lotsa interior space, lotsa dividers and lotsa pockets.

Anyone have pics of the bag with gear in it.  I need some inspiration on how to set mine up.  I've got my gear transferred over but I think I can do a better job arranging stuff.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline goatfarmer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »

~Doug

Anyone have pics of the bag with gear in it.  I need some inspiration on how to set mine up.  I've got my gear transferred over but I think I can do a better job arranging stuff.

I don't have any pics but will try and get around to it. My bag's currently a bit of an embarrassment...way overstuffed. Ya know, with all the "I may need that" or "I'll pack it as a backup" type of stuff. I used to even carry the UA5 wallwart around with me just in case I was close to an outlet and could save battery juice. I finally wised up and bumped the wallwart. Good thing...that sucka must weigh a couple pounds by itself.

~Doug
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
When I'm hauling across a hefty parking lot, I use one of the bags that comes with those $10 outdoor chairs to host my tripod.  The field recorder and preamps are also on an over one shoulder type strapped rig.  And a man purse / day bag for extra batteries and media cards that goes over one shoulder.  Not that any of those will host most mic stands.  And not ideal for a long haul.  I've thought about going with a golf bag that has back pack straps.  If only to have a weather proof full coverage carry bag.  Not that I've found any suitable yet.  And with that much weight, you kind of have to ride slower than you otherwise might.  If you're not crunched for space, you could go with one of those trailers.  I just don't like having sensitive gear hardwired to the frame.  Plus the extra weight gives you a little boost on your power strokes.  And downhill inclines.

When I was a kid, I put my trombone between my person on my backpack.  The bell kept it from sliding out and the weight kept it diagonal.  And still a few gates and the likes (to the bike rack) that were tricky to traverse while riding the bicycle in that configuration.  Suffice to say that you want more of a vertical carry than a horizontal one.  Perhaps a BSA style hiking backpack.  They had some pretty huge ones BITD that were super light by themselves.  I generally avoid anything that stays with the bike as thiefs will be thiefs.  I couldn't even go into a church without someone ripping open the zipper on my seat pack.  Even though there was nothing in that pack.  A royal PITB to rezip it to a functional mode after the fact.  Not an issue in my current region since you don't know if there's a baby rattler in that bag, and are hesitant to find out.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »

~Doug

I still haven't figured out a good way to pack my gear in the Canon camera back pack. I feel like I've just dumped everything in there.  I've only had a few shows, so not a huge deal to work with it, but it does drive my organized mind a tad crazy ...  ;D  Anyone have some inspiration?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
Sometimes I feel like a guy pushing a cart.  perhaps put all of your trinkets on hooks and hang them like you would a curtain.  More or less for on location work than in route though.  I've been toying with the ideal of rigging up one of those wheel things (fig rig) to put everything in one rig.  In the shape of the outline of a stop sign if you use PVC parts.  Not that you want to travel that way, but having all the things in one package (i.e. single hand carry) has it's advantages.  For those of us who have gone a bit beyond soccer mom on steroids in terms of gear count and size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1klQgaRvSc

Offline Barry Shoop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
As to the backpack, I use a Jansport. They make the things with tons of pockets and zippers and I find everything and the kitchen sink is held nicely with a spot for everything. Plus the straps have gel pads for extra comfort. As to the mic stand you may laugh but the best thing I have found is to buy a realtively cheap six foot beach umbrella with a cloth carrying bag. Since the umbrella breaks in half the bag is a nice cloth tube about 3 feet in length with a shoulder strap and a draw string at the top. Had mine for years and it works great. Just put on the backpack and the "stand bag" with the strap across your chest. The stand will ride high enough on the pack as to not interfere with biking and stay nice and steady. Happy Taping!  :D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
And I carry my Portabrace AR-7(Meant for the 722) inside of my Mountainsmith lumbar bag for extra protection. I just zip up the Mountainsmith at shows in case something spills on it 8) You might want to do that w/ your r-44
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com