Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: duplicating shows on lma  (Read 4887 times)

Online admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
duplicating shows on lma
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:36:09 AM »
i'm sure this had been covered before but this is a little different circumstance.

generally, if someone else uploaded a show before me i didn't bother uploading mine. after a few hdd failures and other problems, i'd like to use lma for backing up what i have left before i loose it completely. most shows are ~5 tears old give or take. several taped to DAT are patched from shows currently on lma.

basically, is it ok to use the space lma provides for my personal archive?   
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: duplicating shows on lma
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »
i'm sure this had been covered before but this is a little different circumstance.

generally, if someone else uploaded a show before me i didn't bother uploading mine. after a few hdd failures and other problems, i'd like to use lma for backing up what i have left before i loose it completely. most shows are ~5 tears old give or take. several taped to DAT are patched from shows currently on lma.

basically, is it ok to use the space lma provides for my personal archive?   

sure, have at as long as the source is unique; your patch source isn't already on the archive via a DAT clone or somewhere upstream. You'll most likely need to tack on a unique identifier for a couple of shows. (e.g. instead of gd92-04-03.flac16 you'll have to use gd92-04-03.nak300.flac16 or something like that) A couple of them have talked about this before as being perfectly acceptable, and in many cases, encouraged.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:23:55 AM »
well i'm not talking gd tapes. for example, i'm listening to max creek from the first wanee atm. i patched the beginning, first 4 min according to my notes, from jesse's source  that's already up on lma. can't remember if i got it from him or lma? i can't say if the others have more or less, or any patches at all. i just don't want to hog the storage from others. i might even find some unique ones as i go through old files? 

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
well i'm not talking gd tapes. for example, i'm listening to max creek from the first wanee atm. i patched the beginning, first 4 min according to my notes, from jesse's source  that's already up on lma. can't remember if i got it from him or lma? i can't say if the others have more or less, or any patches at all. i just don't want to hog the storage from others. i might even find some unique ones as i go through old files?
I guess I don't understand the question.
Most of us use the archive for............ archiving.
It doesn't matter if yours is patched with source that's already up. Yours in itself is a different source for the same show.
Always put it up.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »
Unique source with some portion patched from another source? Yes, upload it, definitely.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Don't worry about hogging storage space. I did a generous estimate once and figured out that the LMA occupies about one-half of one percent of archive.org's storage space. The Wayback Machine and the Moving Pictures archive are way, way, WAY bigger than anything we'll ever generate. Don't worry about "hogging the storage".
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »
Don't worry about "hogging the storage".

ok, thanks! that makes me feel a lot better.

and thanks to the rest of you for your support. one of these days i'll have some new show to upload again for a change.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »
Awesome! Never feel that there is no need to put yours up just because there is a different source up.
Me personall, for the two bands I currently archive, I grab every source for MMW and the Wood Brothers.
I know there are other fruitcakes out there like me too. I know a few people who will only go after a Schoeps source.
Not sure what you run but maybe your mics and gear chain is someones flavor that they look for.
For other bands I that have multiples I usually grab AKG, DPA, or Nuemanns. Just a quirk perhaps.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
lol, i'm not sure how many nak fans there any more, which is what i was running back in '05. several of the bands aren't even together anymore, but i guess in those cases it's a good thing if get them uploaded. i did notice that in one case anyway, they have a spot on lma that wasn't there before. altho i'll be duping in this case, maybe i'll find more that will be original? maybe i can at least make not being able to go to shows atm a good thing?

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »
I think there is one exception to the above...which would be if there's already a complete show uploaded to the archive now and what you'd be uploading is a different source, but is not the complete show. 

I indeed use the LMA as both an archive, but also as a supplemental backup for shows that I've uploaded.  With that in mind, I recently uploaded a moe recording that was the second set from Summercamp where I didn't record the first set because I was at a different stage recording someone else.  Apparently, that doesn't fly because my uploaded files have been deleted, presumably since what I uploaded was considered incomplete and there were other sources that had both sets.

That said, if your source is the ONLY source of a show and it's an incomplete show, I'm pretty sure that it's encouraged to upload it under the 'better than nothing' concept.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »
I think there is one exception to the above...which would be if there's already a complete show uploaded to the archive now and what you'd be uploading is a different source, but is not the complete show. 

I indeed use the LMA as both an archive, but also as a supplemental backup for shows that I've uploaded.  With that in mind, I recently uploaded a moe recording that was the second set from Summercamp where I didn't record the first set because I was at a different stage recording someone else.  Apparently, that doesn't fly because my uploaded files have been deleted, presumably since what I uploaded was considered incomplete and there were other sources that had both sets.

That said, if your source is the ONLY source of a show and it's an incomplete show, I'm pretty sure that it's encouraged to upload it under the 'better than nothing' concept.

I would think that is a personal decision by the moe. archivist, not the LMA.  If someone did that to a North Miss. Allstars show, I wouldn't have it pulled.  In fact, I would welcome it.  More the merrier. 

Also, if that is the moe. archivist's personal decision, they should have communicated it directly to you, not have you presuming what the issue might have been.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
I would think that is a personal decision by the moe. archivist, not the LMA.  If someone did that to a North Miss. Allstars show, I wouldn't have it pulled.  In fact, I would welcome it.  More the merrier. 

Also, if that is the moe. archivist's personal decision, they should have communicated it directly to you, not have you presuming what the issue might have been.

OK, that's good to know.  Perhaps my previous comment isn't valid then. 

I'm not sure why that show was pulled.  All I know is that I uploaded my source in both 16 and 24bit, but then a week or so later they were both gone.  :(

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »
^  Yeah, that's weird Steve.  I've uploaded single sets and incomplete sources where complete ones also existed and they are still there.  Even if it were a decision by the band/archivist, it seems odd that they wouldn't want it archived.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline fleish

• I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
Steve: check out the catalog history for the item in question. That would at least tell you who pulled it and you could then ask them. Of course you could also ping Dave or Tyler directly and of course the wider etree@archive.org.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
Yep...that doesn't sound right. Send a link to the show (if you happen to know it) and I'll look into it.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com