Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126457 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
Has anyone found a protector for the touch screen?  That could be useful.

When I bought mine from SOS he had one on it.  Maybe he can chime in with what he used.
The screen is a little bit curved, so it is slightly convex. Regular screen protectors from mobile phones work fine if you cut them to size. They will only stick in the middle but you can click the screen right through them out to the corners.
I have found a three-pack of screen protectors from discontinued units like iPhone 3 or 4 for $1, shipped, on ebay. Cut to size and apply to the MP screen.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline zorba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »
Is it possible to record a standard stereo wav file? Recording with 2 mics and disabling the stereo mix (or disabling iso tracks) the result is a stereo wave file?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
Is it possible to record a standard stereo wav file? Recording with 2 mics and disabling the stereo mix (or disabling iso tracks) the result is a stereo wave file?

Yes.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »

If you disable all but 1 pair of tracks you will get a standard WAV file so you won't have to use WaveAgent to split your files.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »
Mine also vary by a bit

What I meant was that they do not have the same physical position although they are set to the same numerical value.
They all have a slightly different position at any given value except at lowest or highest.

They are off a hair.
Which means I can not look at them and trust their physical relationship to each other. And is forced to nudge them to get the true numerical relationship.

It’s annoying and I believe they should not be that way. :)

Does anybody know the reason yet? As this seems odd, is it just poor quality control on their cheaper units?

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2018, 05:23:44 AM »
Does anybody know the reason yet? As this seems odd, is it just poor quality control on their cheaper units?
My Mixpre 3 aligns pretty well, although I keep gain in "basic" mode (which means the dB range is in the 90's) and there can be a 2 dB variation between apparently, almost equal positions. The faders are physically very small anyway which doesn't help accuracy.

Can it be some variation in one encoder? I think the knobs are not potentiometers, but encoders. I would be worried if there were "jumps" in the dB range. But as long as it's continuous it shouldn't matter much.

That said: if you need perfect alignment between two tracks you must link them so that a single knob will do the job ang guarantee matched gains. And if you are mixing on the spot your ears and maybe metering will tell you what you are doing, not the numerical dB levels.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
The Plug In Power provided by 3.5mm input 5/6 on MP-6. Is that robust enough to power electrets like the Church, Audix CPS-MICRO and Nakamichi mics without distortion at loud concerts? I've successfully used that 1/8" input with PIP turn off and a 9v battery box powering the mics.

The spec on the MP-6 is:

Mic 3.5mm: 3V @ 3k source Z

I assume 3v isn't enough?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »

Chris confirmed its not enough for his mics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:58:15 PM by checht »
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Chuck

« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2018, 02:55:02 PM »

Chris confirmed it's not enough for his mics.

Thank you checht.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
yeah, not sure why they bothered adding 3v PIP to the aux in jack. seems like given how much power the unit requires in the first place and the fact that it can do 48v phantom on 4 channels, it wouldn't have been a big deal to make the aux in jack capable of 9v PIP, which would've been much more useful for many different types of mics. i've just been using it with PIP turned off and using my 9v batt box.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
had the mixpre-6 running in my closed camera bag at an outdoor show last night on a really hot, humid night. was recording 4 channels and phantom powering 2. between sets i checked and the mixpre seemed unreasonably hot. like, almost so hot i didn't want to hold it for extended periods. changed the arrangement of the top cover of my bag so that everything was still mostly covered in case of people sloshing beer but that air could now vent a little to let some heat escape, and it didn't get nearly as hot in the next set. could just be a one-off problem i won't encounter again that the ambient air temp on such a hot, humid night was much hotter than at an average indoor show. still, has anyone else encountered this?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »
had the mixpre-6 running in my closed camera bag at an outdoor show last night on a really hot, humid night. was recording 4 channels and phantom powering 2. between sets i checked and the mixpre seemed unreasonably hot. like, almost so hot i didn't want to hold it for extended periods. changed the arrangement of the top cover of my bag so that everything was still mostly covered in case of people sloshing beer but that air could now vent a little to let some heat escape, and it didn't get nearly as hot in the next set. could just be a one-off problem i won't encounter again that the ambient air temp on such a hot, humid night was much hotter than at an average indoor show. still, has anyone else encountered this?

I did with my DR-680! :( Not with the MixPre though.

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »
I have noticed mine (MixPre-3) getting quite hot while recording birds in Summer, of course with the recorder in a camera bag.

Anyway I wouldn't worry much, I imagine that Sound Devices design their equipment considering that it will be inside a bag.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

jcable77

« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
Just got my mix pre 6 today. Only had a few minutes before work to mess with it. Im guessing Ill have a few questions. Just ordered this for pickup tomorrow with an A>C cable. Anyone use this?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-powercore-20000-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-enabled-devices-black/5948567.p?skuId=5948567&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=536&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1255843&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a7DpqqShnIKRCBHyDEjbYb79cGtdsukqFNVSFF3JgnZd0Anb9nRl2gaAuIGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Also was going to go with my lowe pro nova 140 bag but that seem a bit big, although with 4 channels of cables and mics it will probably be a good fit. I dont want to be the lazy one, as ive already got a great deal of info from these threads, but has anyone put together a settings link or spreadsheet of some sort for situational presets for this thing yet? The thing is tiny! Im excited to try it out friday.

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
Just got my mix pre 6 today. Only had a few minutes before work to mess with it. Im guessing Ill have a few questions. Just ordered this for pickup tomorrow with an A>C cable. Anyone use this?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-powercore-20000-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-enabled-devices-black/5948567.p?skuId=5948567&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=536&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1255843&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a7DpqqShnIKRCBHyDEjbYb79cGtdsukqFNVSFF3JgnZd0Anb9nRl2gaAuIGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Also was going to go with my lowe pro nova 140 bag but that seem a bit big, although with 4 channels of cables and mics it will probably be a good fit. I dont want to be the lazy one, as ive already got a great deal of info from these threads, but has anyone put together a settings link or spreadsheet of some sort for situational presets for this thing yet? The thing is tiny! Im excited to try it out friday.

I’m not an expert, but I have read a LOT of posts in these threads about people having problems with powering their MixPre3-6’s with various USB-A batteries. The last I looked, Sound Devices was very particular about which batteries these units can utilize so I bought the exact USB-C portable battery which Sound Devices recommends on their website. I personally did not want to take a chance, despite there seeming to be some people who said their battery worked.

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-powering-options
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com