Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reasons to keep MixPre (original)?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
Reasons to keep MixPre (original)?
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »
In an effort to simplify, I bought one of the new MixPre-3 recorders. The new recorder does everything my existing m10/MixPre combo did and more, and conveniently in a single unit. I've only had a chance to play with it briefly and am already enthralled.

I am going to sell the m10, but I'm having a harder time getting my head around selling the MixPre. Much as I like the simplicity of its user interface and the idea of its Lundahl transformers, I don't really see that it provides me any utility that I can't get with the new MP-3.

Are there any good reasons for keeping it around? Will I regret selling it?
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Reasons to keep MixPre (original)?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
In an effort to simplify, I bought one of the new MixPre-3 recorders. The new recorder does everything my existing m10/MixPre combo did and more, and conveniently in a single unit. I've only had a chance to play with it briefly and am already enthralled.

I am going to sell the m10, but I'm having a harder time getting my head around selling the MixPre. Much as I like the simplicity of its user interface and the idea of its Lundahl transformers, I don't really see that it provides me any utility that I can't get with the new MP-3.

Are there any good reasons for keeping it around? Will I regret selling it?

I have one (Shure FP-24 branded) and every time I think I'm going to sell it (and my M10), I'm in a situation where I need another 2 channels as a separate rig.  It's also the only piece of audio equipment I own that I know I could literally drive over with a truck and it would probably still work fine.

If you are sure you're never going to need more than the 3 channels of P48 mic inputs your MixPre-3 provides, then you'll make an easy sale here on the YS.  But it would come in handy for another pair of mics to go into your aux input on the occasion you'd need it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »
But it would come in handy for another pair of mics to go into your aux input on the occasion you'd need it.

I think there is a maximum of three mic inputs with the MixPre-3.  As I understand it, if you put a stereo pair into the 1/8" input, you "lose" two of the XLRs (unlike the MixPre-6).  So, really, the only reason to keep the MixPre would be that you prefer the sound of the pre-amps (or that you want to keep the M10 for an extra pair of channels when/if needed)...

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
I was hoping someone would give me a ringing endorsement for keeping it, but it seems you've done the opposite! Thanks, I think.

aaronji is correct in that there are only three input channels available on the MixPre3. The aux-in can be routed to one or two of the three input channels but in doing so you're replacing the XLR input on that channel. So you cannot run three mics straight into the recorder's XLR jacks and then two additional in via the aux-in. You only get three channels. I haven't tested as a USB interface, but it may be possible in that capacity to send all five channels (three XLRs and two aux-in) to the computer.

// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
^ ^^ I see, I didn't realize the MixPre-3 didn't have the capability to use the AUX inputs as additional channels.  I believe the Mixpre-6 will do that, and I just assumed the 3 did also.

With that in mind, if you're selling the M10, I now would say sell the MixPre also.  You'll make someone looking for 2-channel pre very happy.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »
if you sell the M10 let me know. Also might grab the mixpre from ya.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com