Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua5 right angle spdif problems?  (Read 6786 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
ua5 right angle spdif problems?
« on: November 26, 2003, 01:34:57 AM »
i was talking to Ed at Kindkables and he said he has had alot of problems with using right angle coax cables out of the ua5

anyone have any experience?

il be running my ua5 vertically so i wanted to buy or make a right angle spdif cable. and i was getting a custom order from ed so i thought i would go ahead and get it made up to

he suggested i have him make me a low profile spdif cable that will aloow alot of give and still be sturdy

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
Re:ua5 right angle spdif problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 08:47:56 PM »
I've been using right-angle adapters for both spdif and optical on my UA-5 w/ no problems that I can tell.  The adapter is like this:

http://www.connectworld.net/iec/phonom-f90.html

I wonder what the problem is that Ed has been seeing?  Maybe they got them from the same place Apogee did?   ;)

Drew

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 03:28:48 AM »
he was using an actual right angle end on his cables, bot an adapter

if those work fine il probably get one of those instead

allready ordered a right angle optical from sound pros

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 05:59:40 AM »
Kind of funny experience I had the first time I used the optical right-angle adapter... Basically I bought a splitter and right-angle adapter for my UA-5 so I can still give md'ers an optical patch and have one for my JB3.  I listen to the show later on that night and it sounded like digicrap!  I thought it was either the splitter or the right-angle plug that was bad so I told my patcher that he'd have to get an analog patch cuz something was wrong w/ splitting the signal.  He said his copy came out perfect from the night before.  Weird, I thought, and after some investigating I found out that my 1/8" adapter that goes into the JB3 had a crack in it!  Replaced that puppy and haven't had any problems since.  And there was much rejoicing. Yea.

Drew

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 06:06:15 AM »
are you using just a regular 7$ optical splitter with that jb3? or an actual digital one?

i bought one, but people told me that it would work fine with md, but wouldnt work with a jb3

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 02:00:23 AM »
Yup, just the regular ratshack optical splitter. I should point out that I haven't actually used it sucessfully going to both the JB3 and MD, so there might be a problem there that I don't know about yet.

Drew

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 05:27:52 AM »
from what i hear, those splitters just split the light, and a md can handle half the amount of signal, but a jb3 needs all the signal to perform fully

i bought one and never used it

i would just get a midiman co2 or something and convert your coax out to optical for the patchers, and you would still also have the coax output on the co2 still for a dat or something

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 07:02:58 PM »
No knock on ED here. But I think it's the way he makes his right angle coax cables that's the problem.

Mine that I bought from him did not work. I know I'm not the only one that had the same problem. The post in the connection was too long.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 07:24:13 PM »
from what i hear, those splitters just split the light, and a md can handle half the amount of signal, but a jb3 needs all the signal to perform fully

i bought one and never used it

i would just get a midiman co2 or something and convert your coax out to optical for the patchers, and you would still also have the coax output on the co2 still for a dat or something

Cool, that's good to know.  Oh, well, if it doesn't work then it's analog-city for the patchers I guess.

Drew

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com