Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What I've been up to...  (Read 12511 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: What I've been up to...
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2004, 01:50:46 PM »
matt, the arsenal hasn't so much grown as changed.  i sold the 17-40 and am looking to sell the 28-105 on ebay.  picked up the 24-70 which is just an awesome piece of glass.  so i have the 24-70/f2.8L, the 50mm/f1.4 and the 70-200/f4L.  the next lens purchase will not be for a while, but it will be the 135mm/f2L.

if you're doing any night shooting whatsoever, you need a tripod. the monopod will not get it done for exposures slower than 1/15 or so.  you'll get all sorts of blur from trying to keep it steady.  sorry, don't know anything about the vivitar tripods.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2004, 01:55:14 PM »
good point damon, i wasn't even thinking night work.  i was thinking mainly day exposure stuff.  i hate shooting with a tripod, i just hate it. 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2004, 02:04:34 PM »
no doubt they are a pain in the ass.  but for shots at sunrise, dusk, sunset, night or for landscapes where you want a very small aperture, they are essential.  i've gotten over the geek factor of shooting with them and don't have a problem with them now.

jpschust

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2004, 02:08:18 PM »
ive shot on and off for probably 12 years now and i still cant bring myself to use one.  just kills me every time.  took me years to get to a monopod.  my hands are pretty steady when it comes to shooting tho

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 07:25:25 AM »
No tripod?!?!?    :P   I shoot with a tripod AND using a remote shutter release about 90%  of the time. I shoot mostly landscapes so I quite often am using large aperatures and slow shutter speeds.  I also find the tripod forces me to really think about what I'm capturing instead of just lifting the camera and shooting.  If I take the time to set up the tripod I  take the time to fully consider the composition, lighting, speed, aperature, etc.....something that I wouldn't do as fully without the tripod.

Geek factor?  We should all be used to being geeks by now.  ;) 
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 09:08:30 AM »
No tripod?!?!?    :P   I shoot with a tripod AND using a remote shutter release about 90%  of the time. I shoot mostly landscapes so I quite often am using large aperatures and slow shutter speeds.  I also find the tripod forces me to really think about what I'm capturing instead of just lifting the camera and shooting.  If I take the time to set up the tripod I  take the time to fully consider the composition, lighting, speed, aperature, etc.....something that I wouldn't do as fully without the tripod.

Geek factor?  We should all be used to being geeks by now.  ;) 

you wanna talk composition?  try going back to a camera without auto focus and that has no digital controls on it whatsoever :)

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2004, 04:52:34 PM »
No problem....I shoot fully manual anyway. 8)   I have recntly discovered the world of hyperfocal charts so now I manually fucus without looking through the lens and have always used manual shutter speeds and aperatures.  Jonny....a DSLR can be just as "manual" as a film camera...even a Leica film camera.  :P

I know you really prefer film to digi but unless you're gonna get into medium or large format a DSLR is the way to go.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2004, 04:59:50 PM »
No problem....I shoot fully manual anyway. 8)   I have recntly discovered the world of hyperfocal charts so now I manually fucus without looking through the lens and have always used manual shutter speeds and aperatures.  Jonny....a DSLR can be just as "manual" as a film camera...even a Leica film camera.  :P

I know you really prefer film to digi but unless you're gonna get into medium or large format a DSLR is the way to go.

ill make the jump to digital when leica releases the digital back. 

learning this rangefinder has been a challenge to say the least- you don't look through the lens as you do with an slr, you look through a view window with excellent bracketing.  it's very very strange.  i like it though.  i plan on processing and scanning this weekend so ill show you all what i've got so far in the coming week or two.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 10:39:47 PM »
Nice....I'm looking forward to seeing some pics from ya! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com