Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 for small clubs and loud metal music?  (Read 10989 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps MK41 for small clubs and loud metal music?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
for small clubs you don't want to run hypercards. your best bet for small clubs (or anywhere where you are close to the sound source) is subcards, then cards, then hypercards. you might want to run hypers in an arena situation.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
for small clubs you don't want to run hypercards. your best bet for small clubs (or anywhere where you are close to the sound source) is subcards, then cards, then hypercards. you might want to run hypers in an arena situation.

Everyone has their opinion but I disagree in general with this statement. You stated that you sometimes record in large venues so more narrow patterns would often be useful. I find that better quality narrow pattern mics perform better whether up close or at a distance. I like my subcard mics but they pick up a lot more chatter and room to make them useful for recording anything other than good sounding rooms with respectful audiences.

You might also consider the Gefell line of microphones. They are - like MBHO -on the brighter side of the European mics that are detailed and full. Nick makes active cables for them as well so you could use your Nbox. I would say the M21 hypercards are second only to the MK41.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »
Vertical meaning the MK41V.  Think of the capsule sitting on its side...

Ok. I get it now. I like that. Great for stealth as said before.

HO = MBHO
"Goldilocks" - the bears porridge is too hot or too cold, or in between is just right. He's saying the MBHO are in between the AKG (too hot) and Schoeps (too cold), and may be "just right" for your taste buds.

Thanks for explaining. I really have to find out more about MBHO. Seems like some here like them a lot.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:17 AM »

I have to disagree with you here. For what I do my hypers are great. I usually go for the stacks and I love the presence and "in your face" kind of sound they achive in clubs. Especially when recording metal bands. They also remove some annoying chatters and clappers around me.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
Well, I ran AKG 480s -> MBHO's -> Schoeps, and I can say without a doubt, the Schoeps are my favorite mics I've EVER owned! The AKGs AND MBHO's were too fatiguing in the highend with their presence peak, and the Schoeps are right where I like my mics to be! I know people say that they're dark, but to me they're very neutral, especially the MK41's! I just think that 90% of the other mics we use are too fatiguing in the highend, and have too much presence, but that's what we're accustomed to running most of the mics out there!

That said, I've NEVER recorded metal. The closest thing to that I did, was some Skerik stuff back in 2011 with my MBHO's, and they came out great, but I was almost onstage for that one. I'd look around and find some samples online before you go spending $2k in mics though. But IMHO, if you can afford the Schoeps, then go for it. My only regret is NOT buying the Schoeps in 1999, when I bought my first "real" setup with my HS graduation $$ to tape Phish, some AKG 481's and a Graham Patten DMIC-20 to go along with my Sony D8 Dat I got back in 1997! If only I'd had the extra $600 at the time and bought the Schoeps from the get go! Oh well, lesson learned and I'm extremely grateful for having [2] Schoeps rigs now ;D 8) ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
I'd look around and find some samples online before you go spending $2k in mics though. But IMHO, if you can afford the Schoeps, then go for it.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately it is difficult to find samples within that genre. I have heard a few but they didn't sound very good.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 09:01:00 PM »
I'd look around and find some samples online before you go spending $2k in mics though. But IMHO, if you can afford the Schoeps, then go for it.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately it is difficult to find samples within that genre. I have heard a few but they didn't sound very good.
Darktrain has several mk41 shows on Dime http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=139519

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 01:27:01 AM »

I was going to say the same things.  I generally use my MK41's in stadiums, arenas and festivals while I run MK4's in smaller venues or if I am very close in an arena or festival.  If you are on Dime I have a few hundred shows up there and everything  from the last 26 years are recorded with MK4's or MK41's.  There are a few metal shows and lots of rock shows.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 04:08:09 AM »
i was going to recommend this

i only have 4v and 41v for this very reason (and also because in general they are better caps with smoother off axis response, and the 4Vs have a nice HF bump that brings out vocals)

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 05:21:35 AM »
I was going to say the same things.  I generally use my MK41's in stadiums, arenas and festivals while I run MK4's in smaller venues or if I am very close in an arena or festival.  If you are on Dime I have a few hundred shows up there and everything  from the last 26 years are recorded with MK4's or MK41's.  There are a few metal shows and lots of rock shows.

Thanks for your input. As I mentioned I like hypers in clubs. I have tried omni and cards but they both have too much room sound for my liking (and screaming metal fans). I want to hit the stacks, not the room. It's just a matter of taste. This is my taste.

It's much possible that the MK4's has a better room response than my CK61's. I will listen to your recordings later today. Perhaps I will change my mind. :)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

Thanks for your input. As I mentioned I like hypers in clubs. I have tried omni and cards but they both have too much room sound for my liking (and screaming metal fans). I want to hit the stacks, not the room. It's just a matter of taste. This is my taste.

It's much possible that the MK4's has a better room response than my CK61's. I will listen to your recordings later today. Perhaps I will change my mind. :)

MK4 over CK61 101 times out of 100. Always found the CK61s in the mud.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
i was going to recommend this

i only have 4v and 41v for this very reason (and also because in general they are better caps with smoother off axis response, and the 4Vs have a nice HF bump that brings out vocals)

Ditto I have these caps and love them. Dropped on a din bar in a cap a pair of nbobs a baby nbox or IPA into an m10. Not that tough to find the Sony or could substitute an Edirol R07. 1300 or so for a set of capsules, 600 for the actives, 250 for the baby nbox or 120 for an IPA and 200 or so for the deck. Hell of a lo pro rig for a decent price.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
I actually taped Metallica twice a few weeks ago with MK41V's. However, their live sound was really, really, really bad. The mics gladly reproduced it perfectly. ;-)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
Ditto I have these caps and love them. Dropped on a din bar in a cap a pair of nbobs a baby nbox or IPA into an m10. Not that tough to find the Sony or could substitute an Edirol R07. 1300 or so for a set of capsules, 600 for the actives, 250 for the baby nbox or 120 for an IPA and 200 or so for the deck. Hell of a lo pro rig for a decent price.

Seems like the V's are very popular here. :)

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »

I've listened to a few of your recordings now. Both MK4's and MK41's. Great recordings indeed.

I still prefer the hypers though. The MK4's are a bit diffuse and capture too much of the room sound for my liking. As I said, only a matter of taste. I love your Tom Petty 2017-05-27 Bottlerock recording made with MK41's. Truly magnificent.

It sure makes me crave for Schoeps. Not sure about MK41 vs MK41v though?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com