Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixpre 6 Question  (Read 4280 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Mixpre 6 Question
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:06:23 AM »
I've never encountered this issue yet with the Mixpre 6.

All is normal on channels 1/2 (Nak 700's P48 mod) and 3/4 (dpa4022's)

Channel 5/6 (Aux "Line In" on Mixpre 6) was AKGck63 > Naiant Tinybox > Line In on Mixpre 6 .

Gain was set to medium on Tinybox and 6db for channels 5/6 on Mixpre 6.

To the best of my knowledge limiters were Off.

So channel 5/6 is where the issue occurs.

Why is the wave form chopped off abruptly and no peaks above -6db on channel 5/6 ?  The levels did seem a little hot but nothing too crazy, however I did kick them down to 3db after the 3rd song.

Does anyone no why this would appear to be brick walled?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Mixpre 6 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
I'd start looking here:

Gain was set to medium on Tinybox

I brickwalled a few recordings with my TB set to medium gain in not so loud situations.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
I'd start looking here:

I brickwalled a few recordings with my TB set to medium gain in not so loud situations.
I'd tend to agree. I have used the TB on low and had the gain higher on my 5/6 Mixpre6 settings.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »
I'd start looking here:

I'd tend to agree. I have used the TB on low and had the gain higher on my 5/6 Mixpre6 settings.

The Tinybox setting does make sense as the culprit.
. I’m curious however. Why does it cut off at exactly -6db?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

I agree on the Tinybox being the culprit. I used MED on a show that I didn't think was that loud and my DR60d showed good levels but the recording was toast. I used low every time other than that and it was perfect.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »
I'd start looking here:

The Tinybox setting does make sense as the culprit.
. I’m curious however. Why does it cut off at exactly -6db?
I honestly do not know the answer to that question but if I had to guess, I'd say that when the deck (any deck for that matter) is recording a brick-walled preamp's sound, it seems the preamp goes into some sort of distorted sound loop characterized by a bunch of distorted noise and that noise has a range that peaks at "X". I cannot say what determines "X" though and it is probably different on different preamps. It "feels like" some sort of "feedback loop". Quotes being used because I am unscientifically talking out of the side of my uninformed mouth on what is more based on "feeling" than "fact".  ;D :help: ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:14 PM »
It looks like the limiter may have been on. What do the suspect channels sound like if played in solo? If they sound reasonably OK-not distorted-then the limiter was likely on. If they sound distorted, then the signal is likely clipped. Tinybox mid-gain is +18 dB, which should be fine if in fact the LINE was selected for the input.
When I use my tinybox I almost always use mid gain and never have clipping problems, but I  set the input to LINE IN and low gain, as my dr-680  dr-70 both have HI/LOW gain settings.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »
Tinybox mid-gain is +18 dB, which should be fine if in fact the LINE was selected for the input.
When I use my tinybox I almost always use mid gain and never have clipping problems, but I  set the input to LINE IN and low gain, as my dr-680  dr-70 both have HI/LOW gain settings.

You're playing with fire.  The recorder's input isn't being overloaded, the TB pre is, so it's sending a brickwalled signal to the recorder.  I think the lack of headroom becomes more an issue when the battery ages and weakens.  I ran at mid gain for awhile before getting burned back-to-back.  Ran the TB at low gain without issues for awhile longer, then the battery croaked.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Tinybox mid-gain is +18 dB, which should be fine if in fact the LINE was selected for the input.

You're playing with fire.  The recorder's input isn't being overloaded, the TB pre is, so it's sending a brickwalled signal to the recorder.  I think the lack of headroom becomes more an issue when the battery ages and weakens.  I ran at mid gain for awhile before getting burned back-to-back.  Ran the TB at low gain without issues for awhile longer, then the battery croaked.

Interesting. My tinybox is custom.  I specified an impedance balanced output instead of the internal battery. I use only external power, so I never have low battery issues. Certainly low battery would have a large effect on the gain structure of the tinybox. The DC rail voltage being low would compromise the performance of the Op-amps greatly. So yes, if the internal battery is not at full charge, as the DC rail voltage drops, the Tinybox performance will also diminish.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:44:11 PM by Walstib62 »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
I have recorded a ton of stuff with akg > tb at medium and never had an issue
If you brickwalled the pre the source was loudddddd as hell imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 05:24:08 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I suspect that limiters may have been on although I cannot verify that, as I upgraded the firmware before discovering the issue.
I did record Mule a few days ago with 5/6 gain at 0db and tiny box at medium and my levels didn't get anywhere near a danger zone (and this was a loud show).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com