Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mic placement for mbhos?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best mic placement for mbhos?
« on: July 11, 2003, 09:34:01 PM »
Here's my dilemma...I've taped 2 shows with my current rig so far, mbho 603/ka200>mp2>sbm1>d8. The 1st show I ran ORTF on the Shure bar, the 2nd I ran DIN on the AKG t-bar.

The 1st show had a bit too much bottom end, the highs the mbhos are known for (and one of the reasons I love 'em) just weren't present. Some may actually like this sound, but it's just too boomy for me.

The 2nd show had literally no bass at all. It's like listening to a stereo with the treble all the way up...very "tinny" sounding.

I always thought DIN gave you more bass...this certainly wasn't the case the other night. Although it was 2 different bands in 2 different venues, I was basically the same distance from the stacks (FOB in a small club), and at the time there was no noticeable abundance or lack of bottom end.

Any suggestions from present or former mbho owners? Obviously a +T to anyone who can help...

Nick
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
Re:Best mic placement for mbhos?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 11:54:50 AM »
Hi Nick,

While there are numerous possibilities for why your tapes turned out as tey did, I would suggest the following:

First and foremost, make sure you didn't accidentally engage the HPF (high-pass filter/Bass Roll-off) on the MP-2 at the second show.   I have never heard and MBHO tape that was tinny--pronounced top-end and clear, tight bottom-end is what I consistently hear with them.

As for the first show, while you will hear lots of varying opinion on technique, an overly bassy recording usually indicates to me that the mics were under the coverage pattern of the P.A.  While I often suggest head level or slightly above (up to about 9 feet), you may find it necessary to get the mics up higher if the P.A. is significantly over your head and you aren't able to look directly into the face of any one speaker from where you are positioned.

Please keep us posted as to your results as you continue with this rig.  I have made quite a few really nice recordings with the MBHO>MP-2 combination.  

Happy Recording,

Marc

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Best mic placement for mbhos?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 09:10:30 AM »
I have heard from various people that ortf tends to roll off the high end naturally.  I don't agree, but who know's.  I always ran my mbho's din, and generally found the results as far as all of the things you mentioned to be very venue dependant.  Keep trying out different things until you find what you lke.  I don't know if this would work, but you could try to run somewhere in the middle of ortf and din....say 18.5 cm, 100 degrees.

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com