Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mounting AT853s in a Kwon bar/Donut set up?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Mounting AT853s in a Kwon bar/Donut set up?
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
Is this feasible? I haven't taped much since I sold my Schoeps, but I do have a pair of XLR terminated 853's in the closet, but I realized the other night I have no way to mount them (ended up running 414's instead). Would love to go back to a Kwon/Shure donut set up with the 853s if it's possible. I can't justify keeping expensive mics around with the limited use they get, so I am planning on keeping 2 sets of 853s, one XLR powered for open taping running  into a V3>671, and one set I can run directly into my PMD620 for low profile jobs. Then I can get all the 853 caps & have pretty much every situation covered without breaking the bank.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Mounting AT853s in a Kwon bar/Donut set up?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Another really cheap option, if you're willing to fuss a little with a stereo bar, is this:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Audix+MC-MICRO&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Nicely built for the price and very low profile.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »
Is this feasible? I haven't taped much since I sold my Schoeps, but I do have a pair of XLR terminated 853's in the closet, but I realized the other night I have no way to mount them (ended up running 414's instead). Would love to go back to a Kwon/Shure donut set up with the 853s if it's possible. I can't justify keeping expensive mics around with the limited use they get, so I am planning on keeping 2 sets of 853s, one XLR powered for open taping running  into a V3>671, and one set I can run directly into my PMD620 for low profile jobs. Then I can get all the 853 caps & have pretty much every situation covered without breaking the bank.

Personally when I had AT853's I liked the SP setup.  But get the screens that fit the mount.  They act not only as screens but also as shock mounts since they don't transmit vibration. They make various lenghts and it is nice becuase you can bend it in just about any shape you need...  I had the 24" bar but was torn between the 6" and 12" bar as well...  as for heavy wind situations it was simple to just put a pair of baby socks over the screens and that took care of the bad weather situations.... You can't go wrong with AT853's for the money..   

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »

Personally when I had AT853's I liked the SP setup.  But get the screens that fit the mount.  They act not only as screens but also as shock mounts since they don't transmit vibration. They make various lenghts and it is nice becuase you can bend it in just about any shape you need...  I had the 24" bar but was torn between the 6" and 12" bar as well...  as for heavy wind situations it was simple to just put a pair of baby socks over the screens and that took care of the bad weather situations.... You can't go wrong with AT853's for the money..   

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3

I second the GNA-3.  I've had one for several years and love it.  I will second the baby-socks (or just thin/girl socks in general)... though 20~30mph winds still defeat that setup.

Also, I really need to review my Brave Combo tape and see how it bad the beachball hit is/was for shocking.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
A Lowe's Bar/Windtech mic clip works great for AT853's...this is how I run them all the time they are not in a 1M Omni Bar

I ditched the old Tensimount and just put the bar in the Windtech the Tensimount is in...you go to Lowes Plumbing Section and buy a stick of 1/2" and 3/4" PVC and two 1/2 45 degree Street connectors...glue one Street connector to the 1/2" PVC...slide the 3/4"  PVC that is shorter by 1" or so Over the 1/2" PVC pipe - Glue - Glue second Street connector to 1/2" pipe...paint black

Oh forgot that I ran the back side into a table saw kerf to make a cable relief...you can see it on the outside edge of the mounts in the photo's
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:47:24 PM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com