Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Two Energizer XP8000 or XP 18000 or Tekkeon combo for MME>Dr680  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Marcoscine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Two Energizer XP8000 or XP 18000 or Tekkeon combo for MME>Dr680
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
Hi Folks.
First sorry for my poor english, I'm from Brazil. I work with cinema and use MINI-ME>DR680, for about 6 or 8 hours a day.
I need some advice on which battery to buy.
By my calculations the Dr680 consumes 9w, and MINI-ME 5.5W, totaling 14.5 w. For a battery life of 8 hours, I would need 116Wh, or at least 100wh. I'm in doubt between Two Energizer XP8000 connected in series, or Tekkeon 3450 combo, or Energizer XP 18000 with a cable to both drives at 12v (this would be possible?). Has anyone had any experience with these batteries? And of course, by living in a third world country, I need the best cost-benefit with international shipping.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Two Energizer XP8000 or XP 18000 or Tekkeon combo for MME>Dr680
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:54:18 AM »
I'm not sure how these behave when wired in parallel (or series).  I don't see why it sould be a problem but look into it.  I do parallel Lenmar type 9V DVD batteries without any problem.

I'm now using a single XP8000 in one of my rigs which works well, but be aware that you must power on the battery pack before the equiment.  Not sure if the Tekkeon works the same way.

Advantage of a single battery is simpler monitoring/charging and less components in the rig.
Advantage of parallel batteries is some redundancy- an intermittant connection to one is covered by the other.*
Dissadvantage of parallel batteries is more wires and connections to potentially tangle or fail.

Another option is separate batteries for preamp and recorder.  Advantage- simple hookup, possibly less wires. Dissadvantage- more components, need to monitor both, one lasts longer than the other.

*keep charged AA's in the recorder to cover any power intermittancy from any external battery.  Intermittant power to the preamp might cause a short dropout/thump, but intermittant power to the recorder will stop the recording and require rebooting to resuming recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com