Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dbx cassette masters ?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline hotdog

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Dbx cassette masters ?
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
How does one decode a cassette master that was recorded on a tascam cassette deck with dbx  ? If a tascam cassette deck is needed which model ? And the best place to find one and thank ahead of time
Duncan
Schoeps MK4/ MK41vs//active /Nbox
> 702> 744t

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Dbx cassette masters ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
There were home units made with DBX as well.  I assume it's always best to use the same model for playback where systems like that were used (though not sure that holds for playing back from portable decks).  I probably have something in the basement that had DBX (though I never used that). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline hotdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Thank you , does your deck work still ? Lol trying to find a tascam cassette deck is not easy lol
> 702> 744t

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
I have a Tascam CD-A700 (I think) which is a pro cassette/CD combo deck. Did you have something you needed transferred?
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
I have a Marantz PMD 430 portable deck w/ DBX ...have not used it in years.
Will clean it up and check functionality - will send to you to test if you want Hotdog.
Chris
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline hotdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »
Thanks let me get a hold of the masters will any deck with dbx play or does it have to be the same brand it was recorded on ?
> 702> 744t

Offline hotdog

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
I have a Tascam CD-A700 (I think) which is a pro cassette/CD combo deck. Did you have something you needed transferred?

Yes I do not sure how many but some where recorded with a portable tascam deck with dbx on they will play in any deck but will not sound correct , what I'm trying to figure out can any deck that has the dbx will play them or does it have to be a tascam ?
lol I remember when everyone had cassette decks  :headphones:
> 702> 744t

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »

I didn't know that had dbx.

Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 08:57:21 PM »
I used DBX in recording and playback many times back in the 80's and had the Marantz 430 field recorder for a while and a very high end Teac home unit that both had DBX. Unfortunately the DBX encoded recordings only sounded good on whichever deck it was recorded on. I think accurate azimuth adjustment is critical to the DBX process. Tascam and Teac are closely related so they may be fairly compatible. I still have the Teac working well if you want me to transfer for you.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
I used DBX in recording and playback many times back in the 80's and had the Marantz 430 field recorder for a while and a very high end Teac home unit that both had DBX. Unfortunately the DBX encoded recordings only sounded good on whichever deck it was recorded on. I think accurate azimuth adjustment is critical to the DBX process. Tascam and Teac are closely related so they may be fairly compatible. I still have the Teac working well if you want me to transfer for you.

If you have a working teac with dbx, that is the way to go. And I agree with one addition, correct azimuth is always priority.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline chicofishhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:19:42 PM »
You can get a 224 or 224x unit to run the recordings through to decode them.  Having to play them back on the same deck is news to me.  We always recorded in dbx on a D5 and played the tapes back on a Nak.

Unfortunately, for some reason the old dbx units sometimes lose their ability to decode well.  The one I have, which has been used a lot, doesn't decode tapes nearly as nicely as my friend's, so if I ever digitize an old dbx tape, I borrow his.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
You can get a 224 or 224x unit to run the recordings through to decode them.  Having to play them back on the same deck is news to me.  We always recorded in dbx on a D5 and played the tapes back on a Nak.

Unfortunately, for some reason the old dbx units sometimes lose their ability to decode well.  The one I have, which has been used a lot, doesn't decode tapes nearly as nicely as my friend's, so if I ever digitize an old dbx tape, I borrow his.

The dbx222 I have was a recent find at the swap meet. Got it for $10 last month, looks barely used. I was shocked to find it. 

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 10:52:40 AM »

I knew a taper from Chico back in the day. He also used dbx live with the D5 a few times and certainly on  some 1st or 2nd gen trades. SO, I bought a 224 in order to decode them; I have 2 GD masters where I patched a spare deck into those Cali guys and about 4-5 non GD masters. Still have the dbx224, not certain if it works, but would offer to try to decode the tape for you. OTH, I am betting the discussion about the onboard dbx in the TASCAM if it was made that way originally would be the best way to decode it using the same deck or a similar one with onboard dbx. My memory *thinks* we decided back then that the 224 was a somewhat different dbx circuit than the ones used onboard cassette decks. I could be incorrect about that; what do the other dbx users think/know about this?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:03 PM »
dbx had two general "families" of processors: pro and consumer. The two were based on similar principles, but the implementations were incompatible with one another (different bandpass filtering, frequency weighting and response time for the level sensing circuits). The consumer units were designed to be a little more tolerant of typical frequency response errors in playback, and a little less likely to cause severe tape saturation when used with slow-speed tape recorders (3-3/4 ips open reel, or cassette).

In theory, any consumer dbx decoder should have been able to decode any recording made with any consumer dbx encoder, and likewise for the pro units. But they kept changing the circuit parameters between models, such that any given recording might really not sound right unless it was played back through the same model processor that had been used to make the recording in the first place. It got so bad that some engineers would send their dbx processors along with their master tapes when LPs were going to be cut from them.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com