Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

which pre would you choose to go with km184's & DPA 4061's

V3
SD MP-2 (or variants)
Sonosax sx-m2
Aerco MP-2

Author Topic: Pre (choices) HELP  (Read 5004 times)

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pre (choices) HELP
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
from the neumman.com forums....

Q: Do the km184 and km140 share the same capsule and electronics? i recognize the modular nature of the km100 series, and that the 140 has a -10dB pad, but are there other differences? 

A: Dear Mr. Norman Both microphones are using the same capsule design. Besides of the switch mentioned there are no further differences. With best regards Georg Neumann GmbH, Berlin i.V. Stephan Peus (Director of Development) 

-and a more detailed Q and A-

Q: I'm wondering if the components used are identical-same tolerances, etc. I don't need any more flexibility than the 184 but am skeptical that it will sound like the 140 (which I love the sound-never heard 184s). You mention the use of wind guards in the 140 for wind. While for the 184 you say for wind and plosive sounds. Is there a reason for this or am I just getting too nitpicky. Also do you match mics? Is there more to matching mics other than that they record at the same level? Do people match mics specifically with respect to the frequency response of the individual mic? Should I try to get sequential serial #'s?

A: Dear Mr. Min, the difference between KM140 and KM184 really just lies in the KM140 being part of the KM100 system. Thus it is detachable and can be used with all the different accessories, while the KM184 is a straight-away one-piece microphone. The tolerances for electronics and capsule are identical, so there is no need to worry about that.

Wind and pop noises are due to the same physical reasons (low frequency air movements). The expression 'wind and pop noises' is just a bit more precise than just 'wind noises'.

About matching mics: our standard tolerances given in the data sheets are +/-1dB for sensitivity, and +/-2dB for the over-all frequency response. A simple sensitivity difference can be regulated with the pre-amplifier gain, with no further effect (and 0.5...1dB is just the difference the human ear is able to differentiate). The over-all tolerances could mean, in the case of the KM140/184, at most a slight difference in very high frequency response. But actually our tolerances in production are generally much smaller than the +/-2dB mentioned.
We thus generally say that our capsules are, as a standard, very well matched, and that there is no need for further matching. Consecutive serial numbers are, from an aesthetic point of view, nevertheless an understandably nice thing to have.
Best regards, Georg Neumann GmbH, Berlin Martin Schneider Mic. Development 

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
I wouldnt be so certain that the higher price tag of the skm 140 doesnt have some sort of effect on percieved sound differences. The mind is a powerful thing. I have never heard any difference whatsoever.
I dont see how there could be any difference. It is , for all practical purposes, the same mic. 

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »
this info from Neumann is very surprising to me, I had no idea 184 and 140 are essentially the exact same microphone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com