Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP C4's > ?? > R-09  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
SP C4's > ?? > R-09
« on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:19 AM »
I bought SP C4's in the yardsale and I am building an open rig.  The next thing I thought I would set my sights on would be phantom power for the mics.  Someone mentioned this in the yardsale thread:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Phantom2/

Any other suggestions and anyone selling something that would be good for these mics in the yardsale?  I am a newb to this.  I'd like to budget for $200 or less on this item.

Also, would I need a preamp in between the phantom power > R-09 or any type of transformer?

TIA.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline SuperDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: SP C4's > ?? > R-09
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:47 PM »
Look around for a used Denecke PS-2.  It's good clean Phantom(stereo) that you can run on 9 volt batteries.  You may need an adaptor to go from xlr to mini(to go into your recorder).  But I think that would be a good way to do it too.
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »
if you want phantom power and a pre-amp at the same time, i have a Busman modded UA-5 that i ran with my C4s that did great.  willing to part with it if you are interested - just drop me a PM.  you can look in the yard sale too as i think there is one for sale there.

peace,
ts
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:01:49 PM »
if you want phantom power and a pre-amp at the same time, i have a Busman modded UA-5 that i ran with my C4s that did great.  willing to part with it if you are interested - just drop me a PM.  you can look in the yard sale too as i think there is one for sale there.

peace,
ts

Just FYI, with this setup you'd have an A>D>A>D signal path since the UA-5 doesn't have analog pass-through and the R-09 only has analog-in.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline DeepCreatures

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »

peace,
ts

Just FYI, with this setup you'd have an A>D>A>D signal path since the UA-5 doesn't have analog pass-through and the R-09 only has analog-in.

good point - haven't used the R-09 and always went into DAT.  sorry about that and, again, thanks for pointing it out - +T.

peace,
ts
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline Belexes

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:40:16 PM »

peace,
ts

So if I understand correctly: Analog Mics/cable > Digi Pre > Analog-in to the R-09, flash recorded?

There's no other way to change the signal to A > D with this setup?

I do have an M1. Does that have a Digi In on it?

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Belexes

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »
Look around for a used Denecke PS-2.  It's good clean Phantom(stereo) that you can run on 9 volt batteries.  You may need an adaptor to go from xlr to mini(to go into your recorder).  But I think that would be a good way to do it too.

Looks like this is what I may need then? (package #1)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92740.0.html

He even had the mic cables I would need as well.

Not sure if I would need the transformers??

Offline DeepCreatures

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:16:12 PM »

peace,
ts

So if I understand correctly: Analog Mics/cable > Digi Pre > Analog-in to the R-09, flash recorded?

There's no other way to change the signal to A > D with this setup?

I do have an M1. Does that have a Digi In on it?

an M1 would work using the correct cable, which is the way i record with the UA-5.

peace,
ts

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:58:59 PM »

Looks like this is what I may need then? (package #1)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92740.0.html

He even had the mic cables I would need as well.

Not sure if I would need the transformers??
That should get you started, for a very fair price.  I would get the transformers.  You may not need them, but they might help, and the price is right.  I have used my Naks > R-09, and played with LSD2 > Denecke PS-2 > R-09, and you have to crank the gain way up, and they you start to get hiss.  The C4s are intended to work with a low impedance preamp, and the R-09 is intended to work with high impedence mics.  The impedance transformers should give you a boost so you don't have to crank the gain on the R-09 so much, which should help your noise floor.

There are a lot of other analog preamps not mentioned above, and most of them will probably enhance your sound quality a bit, but most of them are going to cost you "at least a few hundred dollars".  If you get that yard sale stuff, it will get you going and give you time to experiment and decide what you want in the long run, and you can sell them again in yard sale for almost what you paid for it.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Belexes

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
+T for all the help!

I moved on the PS-2 in the yardsale.  I'll have to sit back and think about the pre, but perhaps a Denecke AD-20 if I didn't go with the UA-5?

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »
the AD-20 is an analogue to digital converter. It will not work with the R-09 because the R-09 does not have a digital input.

I recommend getting the line transformers. This is almost my exact first rig. I ran SP C4's>PS-2>line transformers>Edirol R-1.

Depending on your taping environment, you may not have enough gain to have a solid signal. The line transformers will at anywhere from 10 to 20 db of gain (depending on what you get). With the line transformers, I never had a problem of not having enough gain.

Good luck and you will make some good recordings with this rig.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline Belexes

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 08:11:20 AM »
This sounds great.

Appears the R-09 has some limitations with the analog-in.  I do have my M1 though and it appears to make more sense to use that for my open rig, especially if I got the AD-20 for it?

Len's 7-pin damaged my connector on my M1 though. I have to look at getting that repaired.  I bought an Oade 7 pin from a fellow TS'er.

Offline colors

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »
If you can find power at the venue, the onyx Satellite Units go cheap.  I will soon be running C4's > Onyx Satellite > R-09

Roving Sign

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »
If you can find power at the venue, the onyx Satellite Units go cheap.  I will soon be running C4's > Onyx Satellite > R-09

Hmmm...cool - but it does look like you can run these off 12V DC...so no venue power needed.

This is a nice option - the Onyx pres are supposed to sound pretty nice...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:00:27 PM by Roving Sign »

Roving Sign

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 08:05:18 PM »
This sounds great.

Appears the R-09 has some limitations with the analog-in.  I do have my M1 though and it appears to make more sense to use that for my open rig, especially if I got the AD-20 for it?

Len's 7-pin damaged my connector on my M1 though. I have to look at getting that repaired.  I bought an Oade 7 pin from a fellow TS'er.

I would be move away from the DAT - save it for transferring shows you already recorded...

I would go for the Onyx option mentioned by another poster - that Onyx unit will probably sound a lot better than the AD-20.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com