Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107005 times)

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »
It seems promising. I just hope someone (SD preferably) offers a Hirose power option.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:03 AM »
Paul,

Those last two posts make everything very concise and clear.  Thanks for the clarification.  It sounds like the unit really does everything we here would want it to do; it's just that the documentation was confusing with regard to if and how that can be accomplished.

One thing I have not seen discussed yet: Would you please share some details of the preamp design?  I'm curious if it is more like the 6-series, or an evolution of that in the 788T.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
It seems promising. I just hope someone (SD preferably) offers a Hirose power option.

Not surprised this wasn't included.  It might to nice to have that heavy-duty connector, but they have quite a few powering options, and you can even power this with a cheap USB power pack through the USB-C port.  I can't find it right now, but I remember reading that it requires 1.5 A.  Most newer packs have a 2 A port, so you'd be covered.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »

Not surprised this wasn't included.  It might to nice to have that heavy-duty connector, but they have quite a few powering options, and you can even power this with a cheap USB power pack through the USB-C port.  I can't find it right now, but I remember reading that it requires 1.5 A.  Most newer packs have a 2 A port, so you'd be covered.

Careful.  The USB-C power option only allows phantom on a single input pair and not both.  It turns the second pair into line in/Aux
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »

Careful.  The USB-C power option only allows phantom on a single input pair and not both.  It turns the second pair into line in/Aux

I believe that it defaults to phantom on a single input pair only with an under powered USB-C source. If your battery pack will supply enough power (and the MixPre-6 will tell you if it does or not), then you will apparently get full phantom on all 4 inputs.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »
I'm sure that the new big USB-c power packs designed for big tablets and small apple laptops will power this just fine.

But even with older smaller USB btteries, SD has provided a workaround. The unit ships with a Y cable which can draw from 2 USB sources in parallel.

That, in combination with hotswapping either the 8 aa or l type batteries should allow for infinite field time.

Do current 744 users have good ideas about the best/least expensive L type battery?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
To preserve battery power, USB-C power sources take priority over batteries if
both are connected with one exception - if the USB-C power source does not
meet the full power requirements of the MixPre-6, you can choose to power
from battery or continue to power from USB-C. We have designed the MixPre-6
so that even with an under powered USB-C source, you will still be able to use
two of the four channels with 48V phantom mics. The third and fourth channel
can still be used with dynamic mics and line, aux, or USB sources. To achieve
this we automatically do the following:
• Dim LCD and LED Brightness
• Disable USB-A port
• Disable HDMI TC port

I cant find what the required amperage is for full operation. Some of the USB-c batteries apparently do 3+ amps but would USB-A at 2.4 provide enough power?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:35:39 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
I cant find what the required amerperage is for full operation. Some of the USB-c batteries apparently do 3+ amps but would USB-A at 2.4 provide enoguh power?

This from Paul Isaacs on the jwsoundgroup.net:

"Question about powering the device through USB: I know it can be powered via USB through a laptop or USB Wall Adaptor, but can it powered via a portable USB Battery charger like an Anker battery pack?  What's the minimum power required via USB for it to fully function?  Thanks, Mark

Yes it can. 1.5A USB power source required for full functionality. The MixPre will tell you if the source is underpowered. "

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/29601-sound-devices-mix-pre-3-and-mix-pre-6/&page=4
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Paul: thanks for taking the time and trouble to participate in this thread and answer all of our questions! Sometimes we tapers forget that we are a small (and rather particular) segment of the market, so your attention to us is very much appreciated!

I think this looks great for my purposes. I am very curious to hear more about the pres. Between this and the new DPA d.vice, my taping budget appears to be poised for a big hit...

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
I must have overlooked the under powered part.  So what happens if your USB power source drops below 1.5v?  It must revert to internal batteries without a hiccup.  ?  I cannot imagine how devastated I would be to stand by and watch P48 drop on channels 3 & 4.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
Couldn't you use the provided Y cable to connect to two different USB batteries?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
I must have overlooked the under powered part.  So what happens if your USB power source drops below 1.5v?  It must revert to internal batteries without a hiccup.  ?  I cannot imagine how devastated I would be to stand by and watch P48 drop on channels 3 & 4.

That's why you'd also have the 8 AA (or L type) sled in the back. Redundant power.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
I think this looks great for my purposes. I am very curious to hear more about the pres. Between this and the new DPA d.vice, my taping budget appears to be poised for a big hit...

Same. MicPre6, plus the mics of your choice (x4), the d.vice and some 406x's would be a perfect combo for everything I do. ...provided they all do what I think they will do.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
Do current 744 users have good ideas about the best/least expensive L type battery?

Lenmar LIS970P  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830994418

I've been using these exclusively w/ my 7xx devices since the 722 first launched (I was on the pre-order list) and now use them in a 744.  I've had to replace a few due to age, of course. But otherwise solid as a rock.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »

I believe that it defaults to phantom on a single input pair only with an under powered USB-C source. If your battery pack will supply enough power (and the MixPre-6 will tell you if it does or not), then you will apparently get full phantom on all 4 inputs.

While I'm typing this I see dogmusic found the post I read at JWSound where Paul states the 1.5 A spec (thanks).

This means that the MixPres have yet another low-cost option for redundant powering, and one which most of us probably already own.  All that would be needed is a USB-C cable. 

Consider that the sales literature and manual says the MixPre will run off a wall wart USB power source, and most of those you see are 1.5-2A.  It's the older USB phone chargers that only put out 1 A or even less that probably will force the MixPre into "low power" mode.

The MixPre is also meant to be used as an audio interface, and USB 3.0 will only provide 1.5 A / 5 V.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com