Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D50 vs Marantz 620  (Read 21064 times)

Offline Siryu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony D50 vs Marantz 620
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
Hi Guys,
Im trying to find my ideal midrange portable ,i´ve already read all reviews (transom, wingfield, etc..)and im thinking 620 and D50 might be the best.
First of all i intend to use it for ambs and quiet ambs such as birds, parks , distant traffic.... and occasional live music...  no voice rec ....no ext mics
Seeing this i need a recorder with a very low hiss,good pre, good built-in mics and easy to move ( no matter $  between d50 & 620)
Specifications vs Size? Is D50 much better in quality to kill 620 or is the lightweight and size of the marantz enough to win?

Thanks to all

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony D50 vs Marantz 620
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:08:26 PM »
The Transcom review of the 620 points out a pretty high noise floor using the internal mics.  I don't think Marantz reveals the self-noise specs, but Sony claims 20dB for its mics, which I would guess is better than the Marantz.  The Sony also gives you the choice of angling the mics anywhere from zero to 120 degrees.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:38 AM »
Actually, the Transom review says, "the 620 makes relatively clean recordings, sounding clearer and less hissy than most of the other small handheld flash recorders, including its larger predecessor, the Marantz PMD 660", while a post on Linder's blog gives the internal mics on the Sony an 8.5 out of 10 and the Marantz an 8 out of 10.

It should also be noted that the internals on the PMD620 are omnis, so the inability to change angles is not a big deal compared to the directional mics on the Sony.

As far as I am concerned, however, the above is all sort of meaningless given the type of recording you want to do.  I think you will find the internals on both machines to be too noisy for quiet ambient stuff.  Both are also pretty susceptible to handling noise.

Have you considered going with external mics?  The difference is amazing... :)

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
The PMD620 is capable of making very nice ambient and music recordings with external electret mics, but I would not seriously consider using the internal mics for music.  They're clearly designed for voice recordings, and I can tell you the results for live music are pretty awful.  I agree that they wouldn't be very good for quieter ambient sounds either, you probably want externals + a preamp for that.

I have no experience with the Sony.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:40:50 AM »
Actually, the Transom review says, "the 620 makes relatively clean recordings, sounding clearer and less hissy than most of the other small handheld flash recorders..."

My understanding is that the above statement refers to the noise contributed by the pre-amps, not the internal mics.  In the sample recording with the internal mics, the reviewer says, "There's a noticeable amount of hiss and broadband noise back there..."

http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200712_marantz_620/audio/Transom-620-InternalMics.mp3

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
Siryu, are you sure that you want to exclude external mics?  None of the internals sound that great, in my opinion, including the R09, PCM-D50, H2, and PMD620.  Maybe the H2 sounded the best of the lot (but pretty subjective).  I thought the Sony was marginally better than the Marantz (a little less brassy, but not much less noise).

Have you considered the R09 with the Church Audio mic modification?  I haven't heard it, but suspect it's an improvement over the others.  And switchable caps (omni or cardioid).  Just a thought! :)
What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline brado

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
What are the reasons that the internal mics on the Sony have received 8,5 out of 10 and the internal mics on the Marantz have received 8 out of 10? What are the Sony and the Marantz frequency response and the frequency response of their internal mics? Is there any laboratory test/review?
Thank you

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »
So much for trying to help people out with what I thought were thoughtful posts.  Minus eight tickets in one day???  Administrators--HELP.  Who's out to get me anyway?  Be a man and tell me what your gripe is.

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »
What are the Sony and the Marantz frequency response and the frequency response of their internal mics?

No idea about the Marantz, but from the Sony website:

Built-in Microphones
     frequency response 20 Hz to 20 kHz.  
Frequency Response (Line Input to Line Output)
     For Fs = 22.05 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 10 kHz; For Fs = 44.1 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 20 kHz; For Fs = 48 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 Hz to 22 kHz; For Fs = 96 kHz: Frequency Response = 20 to 40 kHz

Offline Siryu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
It seems that the marantz is going to win the bet, and in the future i´ll purchase a pre and ext mics

Anyhow,Professor Halfbaked said:"None of the internals sound that great, in my opinion, including the R09, PCM-D50, H2, and PMD620.  Maybe the H2 sounded the best of the lot (but pretty subjective)"....sure?? ...somebody else thinks like that?

And another thing, is it easy to get into the shows with a recorder like the 620??

Thank you all ;)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
It seems that the marantz is going to win the bet, and in the future i´ll purchase a pre and ext mics

Anyhow,Professor Halfbaked said:"None of the internals sound that great, in my opinion, including the R09, PCM-D50, H2, and PMD620.  Maybe the H2 sounded the best of the lot (but pretty subjective)"....sure?? ...somebody else thinks like that?

And another thing, is it easy to get into the shows with a recorder like the 620??

Thank you all ;)

Yes. That thing is really small.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:12 PM »

Thank you all ;)

When I got my PMD620, a friend (who actually sort of inspired me to take the leap) had the other three.  So we tried all four internals at the same time, recording from a loud stereo.  None of them were really horrid, but none of them were that great either.  But I thought the Zoom sounded the best of the lot.  Of course, your mileage may vary and all. :)  Then again, the Zoom sounded the worst with the externals hooked up, in my opinion.

And, like Dede2002 said, it is pretty small...I think the new Olympus (LS-10?) is a little smaller, but I haven't heard anything about how they sound yet...

What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
So much for trying to help people out with what I thought were thoughtful posts.  Minus eight tickets in one day???  Administrators--HELP.  Who's out to get me anyway?  Be a man and tell me what your gripe is.

+T for your outrage ;D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »

Same thing here. Minus 8 or 9 tickets in less than 48 hours. This is amazing and a real mistery to me ???. I've never been rude, unpolite or anything bad. I'm just trying to learn and help when I could, despite my lack of knowledge. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »

+T for your outrage ;D

Thanks very much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com