Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D50 vs Marantz 620  (Read 21068 times)

Offline Outrageous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony D50 vs Marantz 620
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »
So much for trying to help people out with what I thought were thoughtful posts.  Minus eight tickets in one day???  Administrators--HELP.  Who's out to get me anyway?  Be a man and tell me what your gripe is.

Same thing here. Minus 8 or 9 tickets in less than 48 hours. This is amazing and a real mistery to me ???. I've never been rude, unpolite or anything bad. I'm just trying to learn and help when I could, despite my lack of knowledge. ;)

Sorry to hear you had the same experience. 

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
So much for trying to help people out with what I thought were thoughtful posts.  Minus eight tickets in one day???  Administrators--HELP.  Who's out to get me anyway?  Be a man and tell me what your gripe is.

Same thing here. Minus 8 or 9 tickets in less than 48 hours. This is amazing and a real mistery to me ???. I've never been rude, unpolite or anything bad. I'm just trying to learn and help when I could, despite my lack of knowledge. ;)

Sorry to hear you had the same experience. 

Well, from one minute to another, I have 4 tickets! Thanks everyone ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 02:55:17 AM »
Here is the noise spectrum graphs of the two models operating at identical MIC input gains, and comparison of LINE input noise using low noise external preamp for same MIC gain.

Comparing the noise performances of these different models over frequency is possible with eyeing the dB scale numbers at the right to the graph lines showing the recorded deck noise levels. 

How audible, or interfering to the audio signal purity a deck's internal noise is going to be depends on the frequency, the character of the noise (like is it continuous Gaussian type or more audible digital impulse with harmonics) and the dB level (loudness-amplitude) of the noise.

It does seem, at least from see the graphs, the D50 has the quieter analog inputs.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »
I have no experience with the M620 but my PCM-D50 has made some of my best stealth recordings in the 5 years that I have been recording. Of course, I was using Sony and Sharp MDs and Hi-MDs before but the mic input and line input seem very quiet and dependable to me.  Just my .02 of course...
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
Thanks a l lot.
+T to everyone.

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
I have no experience with the M620 but my PCM-D50 has made some of my best stealth recordings in the 5 years that I have been recording. Of course, I was using Sony and Sharp MDs and Hi-MDs before but the mic input and line input seem very quiet and dependable to me.  Just my .02 of course...

How would you compare using the mic preamps in the PCM-D50 to using your Beachtek?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
I do find the Beachtek to be very quiet as well.  I pick up just a little more mic self-noise when using my micro omnis (Sound Pro BMC-12's) into the PCM-D50 than when using the Avantone Busmans into the Beachtek which is an XLR input.  But, then again, that external preamp and mic combo tends to handle the louder SPLs than the PCM-D50 preamp unless I activate the PCM-D50 attenuator which is super!

It's hard to compare since it's different mics and different situations but I won't be getting rid of my Beachtek or Avantones any time soon to just use the PCM-D50 mic input if that makes a difference in what you are asking.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 12:28:24 PM »
I do find the Beachtek to be very quiet as well.  I pick up just a little more mic self-noise when using my micro omnis (Sound Pro BMC-12's) into the PCM-D50 than when using the Avantone Busmans into the Beachtek which is an XLR input.  But, then again, that external preamp and mic combo tends to handle the louder SPLs than the PCM-D50 preamp unless I activate the PCM-D50 attenuator which is super!

It's hard to compare since it's different mics and different situations but I won't be getting rid of my Beachtek or Avantones any time soon to just use the PCM-D50 mic input if that makes a difference in what you are asking.

Thanks.

It sounds as if the PCM-D50 is holding its own anyway, which is heartening.

I was wondering if I should hunt down a battery operated preamp to use with my PCM-D50, and was curious as to how much of a difference it would make.

Unfortunately, Beachtek doesn't make that model anymore. Are there other similar options?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

Thanks a lot for the Bill Frisell recording. Sounds great. ;D

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »

Thanks.

It sounds as if the PCM-D50 is holding its own anyway, which is heartening.

I was wondering if I should hunt down a battery operated preamp to use with my PCM-D50, and was curious as to how much of a difference it would make.

Unfortunately, Beachtek doesn't make that model anymore. Are there other similar options?

What type mics do you have now?  The attentuator on that PCM-D50 does a super job and the digital limiter has it's merits too. If you have a miniplug type mics now, don't waste your time looking for a battery box, just use the PCM-D50 until you find it's not doing the job...

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
What type mics do you have now?  The attentuator on that PCM-D50 does a super job and the digital limiter has it's merits too. If you have a miniplug type mics now, don't waste your time looking for a battery box, just use the PCM-D50 until you find it's not doing the job...

I have an old stereo condenser SONY ECM-979 which has XLR connectors but doesn't put out much signal. I just bought an AT822 (being shipped) which has a mini-plug end so maybe that'll be good enough.

I take it you're happy with the Beachtek preamp. Is there any other one that's as good?

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »
You can run that AT822 into the mic input for acoustic shows and go line input for loud rock and be good to go...

I modified that Beachtek to accept a lithium ion DVD type battery with the help of the company.  It was a whole lot cheaper than what Sony wants for an XLR to miniplug preamp to go with the PCM-D50.  You should be able to find some DXA-10s around the internet if you search or even contact Beacktek directly and tell them what you want,etc. 

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

I have an old stereo condenser SONY ECM-979 which has XLR connectors but doesn't put out much signal. I just bought an AT822 (being shipped) which has a mini-plug end so maybe that'll be good enough.

I take it you're happy with the Beachtek preamp. Is there any other one that's as good?

I made some really decent shows with the AT822 when I first started.  It's a great mic that's easy to setup and run.   It should serve you well with the PCM-D50.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »
Here is the noise spectrum graphs of the two models operating at identical MIC input gains, and comparison of LINE input noise using low noise external preamp for same MIC gain.

<snip>

It does seem, at least from see the graphs, the D50 has the quieter analog inputs.

Hey Guy, thanks for the continued analysis of this gear.

Do you happen to have specs on the voltage/dB level of the Sony D50 inputs (mic lo, mic hi, line)?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »

I modified that Beachtek to accept a lithium ion DVD type battery with the help of the company. 

Did that give you significantly longer battery life when using phantom power?

BTW, thanks for your replies, and I'd give you a +T if I knew how!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com