Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: external power / battery pack for the R-09??  (Read 2102 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
external power / battery pack for the R-09??
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »
TS-
just wondering what is the word on this? Since it runs on 2 dubya A's, akin to the M1, would an old m1 battery pack be able to fit the bill? Anyone with success with an external batt for this device, or is it still under investigation? I looked for a thread ab00t it in this section, and didnt see one yet.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: external power / battery pack for the R-09??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »
TS-
just wondering what is the word on this? Since it runs on 2 dubya A's, akin to the M1, would an old m1 battery pack be able to fit the bill? Anyone with success with an external batt for this device, or is it still under investigation? I looked for a thread ab00t it in this section, and didnt see one yet.

The R-09 is one of those decks that uses regular alkaline for ~4 hours run time, and runs a long time on (>7-8 hours) on a pair of 2500 ma NiMH cells, and likely over 10 hours on Energizer L91 photo lithium (not rechargeable) cells. Newer OXY-nickel (alkaline type) might run the deck for a solid 6 hours or more.  So need for external powering is moot for most.

External connection to AC adapter requires ~3.3 volts DC and becomes one diode drop less (~.65 volts lower) than the externally applied pack voltage to power the deck's circuitry.  So if connecting up external (2) AA cells, the deck will not run as long as when these same cells are running inside the deck's battery compartment.

So yes, you could connect up a pair of C size alkaline cells to the AC adapter jack, and run the deck for at least 20 hours before the cells drop below deck's operating voltage if you really need the extra running time.   D cells might run the deck over 50 hours connected in this fashion.

Of course, this scheme should be tried before having full confidence in amount of run time available.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 09:57:56 AM »
what he said.
"....need for external powering is moot for most."
just bring extra AAs.
;-)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:35:37 AM »
^^^^
Yup, not really needed.  However, I will add that if you do want to do this there isn't any glitch when attaching or removing external power as long as the internal batterys have charge.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com