Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lesson in SPL  (Read 2542 times)

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Lesson in SPL
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
Long story - So I'm a relatively new taper, working a DR-05, DR-22wl and a recently found DR-1 (yep, i'm cheap).  I go to mostly smaller clubs and still experimenting with location / mics.  Went to see Ana Popovic in a small club last night and took the 22wl and DR-1.  I recently got some CA-14 cards and a CA9100 and I had tried the mics with just a battery box a couple of times and was not very impressed so that resulted in the purchase of the preamp.  Last night was the first try with the CA9100 (front row, dead center seats/table about 5 feet from Ms. Popvic) going into the 22wl and it turned out to be a most spectacular recording.  I clipped the mics to a glass and set them at the edge of the table/stage and was really surprised how well it turned out.

The DR-1 was on the front of the stage with the mics pointed up and I made sure it didn't brickwall.  However, in listening back, the music somewhat distorts but the vocals are like listening to Neil Young's Trans.  I'm assuming the SPL max of those mics was not equal to the task.  I had used it before to record The Alarm at the same venue although much farther back in the room and the sound came out very nice (i'm assuming the sound level was much lower).

Short question(s) - What is the sound pressure level max on the DR-01 vs DR-05 (125 dB) or the CA-14s(115dB?)?  Does the preamp really make that much of a difference or should I chalk that up more to the location?

Thanks,
SJ
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Lesson in SPL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »
What mode was your DR-22WL running? I always run mine in manual mode (use gaffing tape to keep it from moving), and set the recording level so neither channel is peaking over -12. I try to set the level ahead of time during the opening band, but I always still check it again once the performance starts (I've been using the Android app via WiFi to adjust levels).

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:19:57 PM »
What mode was your DR-22WL running? I always run mine in manual mode (use gaffing tape to keep it from moving), and set the recording level so neither channel is peaking over -12. I try to set the level ahead of time during the opening band, but I always still check it again once the performance starts (I've been using the Android app via WiFi to adjust levels).

That is exactly what I do (minus the gaffer tape) - manual mode and have the sound is just hitting -12 (the green peek light blipping throughout the show).
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
I apologize, I didn't read/comprehend your whole post! So you were running 2 separate recorders, and the DR-1 with internal mics has clipping on the recording?

I'm not familiar with that recorder, but it does sound like you hit the limit of whatever settings you used. Is there a low/high recording level setting? Was it set to low? Is there a limiter function? Was that set to on? Did you position it very close to a speaker?

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
Yes, I was running 2 decks (-22wl & DR-1) .  The -1 was just face upon the stage with no limiting and maybe 2 feet away from her monitor speaker and I made sure the meters on  I was mainly wondering if someone knew what the max SPL of the DR-1 is as I can't find it in the manual or on the web. For all practical purposes, I've learned that it can't handle it and will go with the DR-05 if I'm that close from now on.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com