Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best camera to record concerts? - no budget  (Read 13118 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: Best camera to record concerts? - no budget
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11:50 AM »
What? Last pic is correct.
Seriously?  Last pic has a prime lens 12-60 MM f2.8.  The FZ2500 had an attached lens with 8.8-176 MM.  If you do not see that I am sorry.   Carry on.

Last pic is this:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:25 PM » Which is the LAST pic of the two (Fixed lens 24-480)

Not this:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:42:54 AM » Which is the link with the wrong camera (Removable lens 12-60)

I should know as I was the guy who linked to the last picture after the wrong one was on display. If you do not see that I am sorry. Carry on.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 01:17:54 AM »
I believe we have a new contender that offers mic input
Check this out: Sony RX100 VII
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review-in-progress

DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »
That response sounds good on paper, until you're actually at a crowded venue dealing with some asshole security goon or manager who simply doesn't like people with cameras.  They pretty much have the last word.  I have also seen venues that state "no detatchable lenses, or cameras with zoom lenses longer than 2 inches."  I don't know if they would actually have a ruler on hand and make you zoom your lens all the way out so they could measure it, but it just sounds like another rule that would give them the authority to deny you entry with the camera.  That said, I have taken my Lumix FZ300 into a couple of different shows with no problem, though neither was a large arena/pavilion type venue.  Gonna try it at the Heart show next month and see what happens.

“The policy is clearly stated, and I believe I am in compliance with it. May I please speak with your manager?”

I have a Panny FZ2500.  Takes wonderful video.  I've been denied by venues who have a "no detachable lens" policy.  Probably 50% success rate.

But what do they say when you show them that the lens isn't detachable?

"sorry, no" is a common response.

Offline -jnl-

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »
UPDATE!!!

I bought a camera!

I got the Sony rx100 mk7.

Testing it it wouldnt let me record a full 2 hours in one file.  It would shut off due to heat.  The first test it made it to 1 hour and 55min.  But every test after got shorter and shorter.  Even leaving the camera alone for a day between.  I found using an external battery pack rather than the battery kept the camera cooler.

But in real life, I was able to easily record a full 2 hour concert with no heat warning at all (tho the camera felt quite warm at one concert), by splitting it into multiple files.  I happened to do 5 files per show but i think i should have no problem doing it with only 3 or maybe even 2 files.  Im not sure why stopping the video for 1 second a few times makes such a big difference, but it did.

The picture quality is great, even zoomed in fully, even with smoke on the stage its still good.

If you want to see an example this is the first show i shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjse50OBvLE&list=PL30OplNkcvwTRDmAlmQQ5BN5hiCxWLxFo

Sorry my zooming was crap...i kept pushing the wrong direction than i intended.  And i spent the whole show just learning how to use the camera.  LOL

I got an external mic:  https://www.amazon.ca/Rode-VideoMicro-Compact-Camera-Microphone/dp/B015R0IQGW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Tho that turned out to be total crap for concerts.  Any bass and the sound is total garbage.
I posted a question in the mics section cause I need to find a better mic that can handle bass better.

Thanks dudes!

Offline -jnl-

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
I believe we have a new contender that offers mic input
Check this out: Sony RX100 VII
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review-in-progress

yup.  thats the best i could find for 4k video.
i need to turn alerts on so i see responses to my threads!

Offline xjsb125

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • An Our Lady Peace Fan Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 05:52:21 PM »
Beautiful video! Don't worry about the zooms. Just keep shooting video and practicing with it. Be cautious about letting the camera get too hot. It can cause damage the same way a laptop or desktop would when they overheat. As for the Rode Mic, it's great for interviews, but not so much concerts. You'll get pointed in the right direction for a microphone. Glad you were able to find a camera that worked well for you. Unrelated, did Nothing But Thieves open, and if so, were they awesome?
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline -jnl-

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, Nothing But Thieves opened and they were great.  Id never heard them before and I was impressed. 

I run off external power to keep the heat lower, and i pull the screen away from the camera to reduce the heat and get more airflow.  The first show the camera barely got warm.  Second show the camera got hot I think cause I had kept turning it on a number of times before the show started, and possibly because i had charged it in the afternoon.

12-13 shows coming up before the end of Oct (all Thom Yorke), so I will have a lot of practice.

ordered this mic to try out...the specs look like it might be ok.....
https://www.amazon.com/NASUM-Microphone-Professional-%C2%ADOmnidirectional-Smartphones/dp/B07SSTTXDD/ref=sr_1_56_sspa?qid=1569113340&sr=8-56-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0hRT1pJSEk1Szg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjkxMTQzNTQ2QThVMFBQV0c2JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MTc0NzcyOFpUQ0lYOU5FS0g1JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ

its small and cheap but i needed something fast cause I leave for the first TY shows wednesday.

if that doesnt work well i might try this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P7DLQN/?coliid=I38044WZ49BJNU&colid=31FH9Q16YWMC2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com