Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H5 announced  (Read 9971 times)

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom H5 announced
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
Does the optional input module provide phantom power?

It doesn't on the H6. Another thing that strikes me is the lack of a 3.5 mm mic input on the H5's XY microphone module.

Ralf

yes, there is one on the right hand side, what I don't see are -20db pad switches, may be it's done in firmware.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 07:58:31 PM »
How bout a spldf in/out? Cant figure out why lotsa these decks dont have them.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
How bout a spldf in/out? Cant figure out why lotsa these decks dont have them.

What's the point of having one on a portable unit? My whole home audio system is connected through SPDIF but I couldn't think of a sensible use for it on the road.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
What's the point of having one on a portable unit? My whole home audio system is connected through SPDIF but I couldn't think of a sensible use for it on the road.

Ralf

Their are alot of people that use external Pre's and AD's to use SPDIF.   Or someone may want to have a backup recorder attached digitally.  People have done this for years (since the early 1980's when the first PCM setups become available - where the AD and recorder where different pieces of hardware)

Zoom's are not aimed at the professional market (only the semi-pro, hobbiest, etc) so I can never see them adding this feature.   They offer recorders to staple to your camera to get moderately  better sound then you will get out of the camera internal mic.

I think the only reason Sony and Tascam offer digi in's on there midrange handhelds is because they have offered this in the past.

True bit buckets are all but dead as their just isn't a big enough market any more.  How many videographers do you see lugging around a V3 or even mixpre-d around with there DSLR setup.

Maybe if camera makers start offering digital in's with 24bit bit perfect recording a rebirth of external AD's and thus bit buckets will hit again.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
Here's a review of the H5 at B&H

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9RMOC8d3s

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »
On sale now at the usual outlets.  Typical price $270.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com