Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying  (Read 9227 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
I will soon need a replacement for my trusty Edirol R-09HR... blocks (not just pixels) of screen are out, making recording a challenge.

Is the Sony M-10 still the recorder of choice for lowpro taping? I've used it before (borrowed from a friend) and have always loved it, but if there's something later and greater in the same price range I'd like to know what to research.

Thanks!
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best choice for portable recorder - R-09HR screen dying
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
The Sony M10 is still the choice of a lot of folks around here.  Some people run two of them for different setups -- that's how well respected it is.  The Roland R-05 is also a strong contender as well (albeit not as popular). 

Doubt Sony is replacing the M10 anytime soon, either.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
Adrian is right--sony m10 is still well respected around here even after the 3-4 years it's been out.

Are you looking for something more than the 09HR offered?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
Adrian is right--sony m10 is still well respected around here even after the 3-4 years it's been out.

Are you looking for something more than the 09HR offered?

Well, IF I could find something in the general price range that could deal with 2 Line inputs (or even 1 mic and 1 line-in) and still be in the form factor of the M10/R5 I'd certainly think about it. But I was very happy with the R-09HR while it lasted.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
Tascam DR-2D

This is the recorder to grab if you're interested in two microphone inputs (1/8-inch) in a small form-factor.  The problem is that Tascam has discontinued it so it's becoming a little harder to find.

If you were very happy with the R-09HR, the Roland R-05 is the most similar to it overall: size, design, controls, etc.  It's on pretty equal footing with the Sony M10 that everyone likes so much.  The biggest disadvantage I found with the M10 (and which I've heard anecdotes from a few people on) is that the gain wheel on the side does not lock and there's a possibility it can inadvertently move.  Likely not an issue if you tape openly, but if you stealth there's a risk of moving that gain adjustment while placing the recorder in, or when removing it from, your pocket.  Also, I know some people are not terribly fond of the microSD storage cards that it uses instead of full-size SD cards.  YMMV on both counts.  Where the Sony really shines is the ridiculously long battery life; it's in a class by itself there. 

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Sony, mostly because it's been out five years now and I've seen very few reports of problems. I won't go Edirol again because of the screen issues I'm now having. As for the Tascam, the Sony has a better rep overall and although the dual-input thing would be nice, I really don't see many times I would use it.

Anyone know why I SHOULDN'T buy the Sony?

ilduclo

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
I had my Sony d50 go out after a year of light use, and their product service people were not the most friendly.....

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Not really. If you dont need 4 channels then either of the R05 or the M10 is a better recorder. As to which one; well I've used both and I prefer the M10. It takes a hotter signal and is easier/more intuitive to use with a better screen display and longer battery life . The gain wheel on the M10 is actually pretty stiff so unless you put it in tight pockets its not gonna move.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
The biggest disadvantage I found with the M10 (and which I've heard anecdotes from a few people on) is that the gain wheel on the side does not lock and there's a possibility it can inadvertently move.  Likely not an issue if you tape openly, but if you stealth there's a risk of moving that gain adjustment while placing the recorder in, or when removing it from, your pocket.

I think the gain wheel spins way too easily, which is why I prefer the R-05, or the DR-2D (which seems like a no-brainer if you want the option of 4 tracks).
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline yltfan

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
And looky here--a DR-2d for $130
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167708.0;topicseen
Save $100, get 4 channels, and no self-adjusting gain wheel.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
I'm looking for long term reliability.. I want this to be my last purchase.

Microtrack (original)... 3 years, battery and input plugs needed replacement
R-09HR - 5 years, screen becoming unreadable

I don't want to spent another couple hundred bucks in five years again. Although at my age, how much longer will I be in this hobby?

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
I'm looking for long term reliability.. I want this to be my last purchase.

Microtrack (original)... 3 years, battery and input plugs needed replacement
R-09HR - 5 years, screen becoming unreadable

I don't want to spent another couple hundred bucks in five years again. Although at my age, how much longer will I be in this hobby?

I think you'll be very lucky if you haven't spent another $200 within the next 5 years : ;D

Offline yltfan

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
I think the only way to really guarantee that your deck will last for a very long time is to spend a bunch more money on something built like a tank: R-44, Sound Devices...

I can't see why you wouldn't jump on that used DR-2D. Great price, well-tested around here, pretty similar to the R-09, but with 4 channels.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »

I think the gain wheel spins way too easily, which is why I prefer the R-05, or the DR-2D (which seems like a no-brainer if you want the option of 4 tracks).

I was worried about tales of spinny gain wheels before buying my M10, but I haven't had any problems with it. I think I'd be as likely to accidentally shut the lock switch off as to move the gain wheel — it takes about the same amount of pressure.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
In 5 years, there will likely be some new temptation.  IMO, 2d offers four tracks, not so good battery life.  M10 offers 2 tracks, terrific battery life.   

Offline woodstock64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
In 5 years, there will likely be some new temptation.  IMO, 2d offers four tracks, not so good battery life.  M10 offers 2 tracks, terrific battery life.   
You're welcome. The batteries are better known as 2CR1/3N (also PX28,A544, 544) and they're 6V each. Two taped together are little higher than the 9.4V of the original Eveready 206 battery but shouldn't be a problem. And the best is they're $4.37 for a 2pk. That's a lot cheaper than the $20+ Each the 206s are going for online. Plus these are readily available almost anywhere that sells batteries.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
i wouldnt hesitate to buy an M10. its a lot of gear for $220 and hard to go wrong
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »
The screen of my Edirol R-09HR is also dying :) But my request is slightly different: I need something that can record from two different sources in the same time. I have two sets of cardioid microphones with their own battery boxes (SP-CMC-8 and CA-14) and I want a recorder that will be able to record two different stereo (or at least mono) tracks in the same time. Which probably means being able to record from mic AND line-in input in the same time (or two mic inputs). Can any recorder do that? Tascam DR-40 is able to record from two different mic inputs AND from internal mics as well (so that's actually 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 tracks total!) but those external inputs are XLR. I want standard small "jack" inputs. Is there any recorder that can do that?

(Don't ask about the reason... it's just that I want to tape concerts using both of my mics in the same time because each of them sounds slightly different at different venues and I want to have two different recordings to choose the better one afterwards).

Offline yltfan

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:00 AM »
The screen of my Edirol R-09HR is also dying :) But my request is slightly different: I need something that can record from two different sources in the same time. I have two sets of cardioid microphones with their own battery boxes (SP-CMC-8 and CA-14) and I want a recorder that will be able to record two different stereo (or at least mono) tracks in the same time. Which probably means being able to record from mic AND line-in input in the same time (or two mic inputs). Can any recorder do that? Tascam DR-40 is able to record from two different mic inputs AND from internal mics as well (so that's actually 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 tracks total!) but those external inputs are XLR. I want standard small "jack" inputs. Is there any recorder that can do that?

(Don't ask about the reason... it's just that I want to tape concerts using both of my mics in the same time because each of them sounds slightly different at different venues and I want to have two different recordings to choose the better one afterwards).

Go back and read the whole thread.
Tascam DR-2D does what you need.

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »

I did notice it but the Tascam website describes the dual recording as "the built-in mics plus the line input" (actually it offers three different recordings modes but only this one is remotely similar to what I need). Can it really record two separate files from two mic inputs? From the description it looks like one of the inputs has to be the built-in mics.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »

I did notice it but the Tascam website describes the dual recording as "the built-in mics plus the line input" (actually it offers three different recordings modes but only this one is remotely similar to what I need). Can it really record two separate files from two mic inputs? From the description it looks like one of the inputs has to be the built-in mics.

Two separate stereo files, one from mic in, the other from line in is possible with the DR2D.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »

The 2d will do it, but is discontinued.  The 60d will record four tracks, but two of them are XLR/Phantom power, and you can't stuff the 60d in an ordinary clothes pocket.  It's not huge, but it isn't small, either. 

Offline Mr.Scully

• Taperssection Regular
    • Queen Concerts
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 04:40:26 AM »
Many thanks. I just bought DR-2D on ebay and I'm curious how different it will be from Edirol R-09HR (mainly in terms of handling and battery life). Size should be about the same so it should be good for hidden taping. Apparently the latest firmwares have improved the battery life significantly so I guess it's a pretty good recorder for us tapers :-)

Offline yltfan

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Many thanks. I just bought DR-2D on ebay and I'm curious how different it will be from Edirol R-09HR (mainly in terms of handling and battery life). Size should be about the same so it should be good for hidden taping. Apparently the latest firmwares have improved the battery life significantly so I guess it's a pretty good recorder for us tapers :-)

I only used the R-09 a few times, so I can't really compare them, but the DR-2D is definitely a little trickier just because of the 4-track thing. Read up on the DR-2D threads (especially for advice on what to run in to mic-in vs line-in), but once you get it set up for your needs, it's pretty easy. But with all new gear, it's always good to practice a bunch at home before you head out into the field.

Enjoy!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=154697.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:49:06 PM by yltfan »

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 08:29:49 PM »
UPDATE:

Ordered my PCM-M10 today - couldn't believe how hard it was to find one. Should be receiving it middle of next week, first use planned for an acoustic show on 6/12.

adrianf74

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:12 PM »
Quite odd that there out of stock everywhere.   Wondering if Sony plans to release something new shortly or if they just didn't place an order fast enough?

You'll be happy with the M10 with its excellent battery life and the fact that it's pretty much bulletproof.  I own both the M10 and DR-2D and prefer the layout/menus of the M10 to 2D.  The 2D only gets used when I'm recording four channels.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
M10 in the house today!

First use scheduled for a week from tonight! Could have gotten it for $20 cheaper if I had waited, as it is now back in stock at places like B&H, but who knew?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com