Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM H6, any advice?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline cavernut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
ZOOM H6, any advice?
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »
I just lost my Microtrack II, to an unfortunate Cat got on my deck accident.
The weird part is, I don't own a cat.

As a replacement I was looking for something with 2-4 XLR or TRS Inputs.
96/24 capability, but would prefer to move up to 192/24 capability if possible.

I would Prefer to stay with Compact Flash, or go with SD if I absolutely have to.
What are the general consensus thoughts regarding CF v SD?

I have a selection of mics AKG / Rode / Diaphragm & Cardioid.
I have a Sound Devices Mix pre, so yes I am running analog, but I have a Fostex CR-500 as well, so Digital is a possibility…

I was very happy with the Microtrack, I even made a battery mod, to allow me to get rid of that internal nightmare….

I can't seem to find anything that has everything I want, without going way up in price… 2 or more channels is just fine as well…

Very Confused…...

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: ZOOM H6, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
I have no experience with the H6 though I found my old H2 to work better than some would have you believe. I still have it and it still works but sees little use now.

That said, take a look at the Tascam DR-40 (XLR/TRS connectors). Its just two track (4 if you use the built in mics) but you can pick one up new for $150 or so if you find a sale.  I have one and its a pretty solid unit. The DR-100 is similar but a little more expensive. Next step up would be the Tascam DR-680 which can be picked up used for $400 but gives you 8 channels (6 analog and 2 digital, I think). You can run 4 track into the DR-2D but they are out of production so you'd have to find a new-old-stock or a used one. Many of the Tascams can be powered via external lithium batteries via USB. Those can be found for $20. Or if you have access to AC, a cheap cell phone charger will power them.

I love my Edirol (now Roland) R-44 but they have gotten up to around $1100. I got mine new when they first came out for $680 but I guess popularity has driven the price up.

I'd recommend making the jump to SDHC cards over CF. They are much cheaper and you can buy them all over the place.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »
I own both an H6 and a Tascam DR-680...
The 680 has 6 channels, or 8 if you use a pre amp with a Digital Out.
You indicated that you own a Mix Pre instead of a Mix Pre-D, so you have no need for Digital In.
The H6 is small and you can add a module to give you the ability to run 6 channels if you wish.
It also is very easy to set up and use compared to the 680, and runs a long time on 5V USB power.
The 680 needs at least 9V or 12V to operate, and those batteries are more expensive.
I have never ran the Mic Ins on the H6, but some folks here think the Zoom's Mic Ins are crap.
I have used the Mic Ins on a 680 and feel they are alright, but still prefer to use my external Mic pre amps.
The 680 can be bought for less than the H6 if you add the extra module.
As far as cards, CF is on the way out in my opinion.

Offline cavernut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
Good Input, I was always under the impression that CF Cards are faster & therefore able to handle the Broadcast Wave Format easier…..

It really pisses me off that I lost the Microtrack, because in a nutshell it did everything I wanted it to do in a small package and for a reasonable price…

The Zoom Legacy for bad products can't be all correct these days, the H6 does looks very well thought out.

I guess I will have to compromise with the CF to SD Cards, anything that uses CF is always considered Pro and there lies the Jump in Price….

Thanks both for your info…

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
The weird part is, I don't own a cat.

Noone owns a cat. They own us.

As far as Zoom recorders in general go, I've had a H4n and a H2 for years and I'm still quite happy with them. I've been tempted by the H6 when it came out but, then again, there's nothing I'd do with it that I can't do with the H4n. If I didn't have the H4n, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy the H6.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
As far as the SD card issue goes, I've run four channels of 48/24 into a class 2 SD card with no problems.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
Consider the Tascam DR-100 MKii
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
The H6 is a fine recorder, and is half the size of the DR-680 and easily double the battery life. 

That said, one can monitor individual channels on the DR-680 (called soloing) but one may not do this on the H-6. 

However, it is easily used in a fanny pack, something the DR-680 could not fit into.

I happen to have an H-6 for sale in the yard sale area.

I apologize for this shameless plug. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com