Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853>PMD620: Best settings?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
AT853>PMD620: Best settings?
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

So I sold off my Schoeps>V3 combo 3 years ago when we bought a house, and I'm pretty sure I haven't taped anything since then. I am coming out of retirement to tape a show tomorrow with my little 853>PMD620 rig. Really psyched to run it actually, but realized I wasn't exactly sure of the best settings for the 620. It's going to be an average volume rock show (Electron in Worcester). I assume I have to go Mic in since I am not using a preamp. Any other settings I need to worry about? I believe there's a digitally select-able pad (-10 or -20 if I recall correctly), should I start with that on?
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: AT853>PMD620: Best settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »
So I'm late on this one.
I love that combination, and have used it a lot:

Create 3 presets for Mic In. Set one at 0db, another at -12db and at the 3rd at -24db.

HOPEFULLY you can pull the show at -12 and start with that, but if you want to change the pad you will have to stop the recording and change to a different preset and start again. You can do that in less than 20 seconds, then adjust the input level, but that's the only way to do it.

You get 24db of volume you can cut with the input buttons on the side, but they are just that: start with them all the way up to 0 and lower the input to -24, -23, etc until they get you down to mute. So if you can start with the -12 pad and only have to lower the input to -12, you have wiggle room. Make sense?

I always hope for an opening band to sort that out.

Hope it worked out!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: AT853>PMD620: Best settings?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
Thanks for the response! It did work out pretty well, and I agree, this is a pretty sweet little combo for taping a couple times a year. Ended up running mic in with the 12db pad on, and was right in the sweet spot. Everything went great. Thanks!
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com