Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: IRiver H120 / Adapter A3 / OKM II R Experience ?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline elwoodpdowd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
IRiver H120 / Adapter A3 / OKM II R Experience ?
« on: August 06, 2006, 02:06:18 AM »
Was looking for a DAT replacement and got the IRiver 120 with Rockbox firmware.

Last night I used   the IRiver H120 for the first time. As with the DAT I connected
my OKM II R to the A3 adapter and then to the line -in of the IRiver.

Checked the adapter battery light before the show and all looked good.
Usually the battery in the adapater lasts long time . The manual says 100 hours of operating time,
I usually change it after 50 or so. The battery in the adapter yesterday had about 30 to 35 hours
on it before last nights recording .

Anyway the recording went fine but when I checked the recording this morning I had to find
out that after about 100min the sound gets "crunchy" and then after 10 more minutes the recording
gets very low in sound - after it was perfect for the first 100min of the recording.

After some investiigation this morning I finally checked the adapter battery and it was totally dead !
That explains why the recorded sound gets worse during the recording and finally it went to
a recorded volume from about - 60dB.

I dont think its possible but now I wonder and are a little bit scared that the IRiver takes power
from the A3 mic adapter and so drained it out last night ?

Is that possible or was it just bad luck with a bad battery last night ?

Its just no option to change the adapter battery during a recording. !

I stillc ant believe that the IRiver drains out the A3 adapter battery especially as I never had
such problem while DAT recording plus I always thought that the adapters power is used for the OKM II R mic
and not for the recording device.

Has anyone some experiences with this or even tapers who use the same setup can let me know
if that A3 adapter batttery is lasting less time with the IRiver than with my old D7 DAT ?
Or did I just had bad luck last night and shouldnt worry about my next tapeing with a fresh battery ?

Any help with this issue is greatly apreciated !

Thanks  elwood

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: IRiver H120 / Adapter A3 / OKM II R Experience ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »
I would try taping another show with a fresh battery in the A3 module.

Also, the OKMIIR mics can take *a lot* of sound, so you might want to try plugging the mics directly into the Line In on the iriver, and see how that works at a show... because the Line Input on the iriver puts out around 3V of plug-in power.

I suggest trying out only the plug-in power because it works fine for some mics (e.g. Sennheiser MKE-40s took A LOT of bass, and did not distort, using only the plug-in power on my iriver). Since the OKMIIRs can also take high SPLs, they should perform pretty well with plug-in power.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com