Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yet another UA-5 Question  (Read 1695 times)

Offline mldemarco4211

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Yet another UA-5 Question
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:00:25 AM »
Just used the UA-5 for the first time today (unmodded).  Its a hell of a device i can tell and I have been impressed with it for recording my guitar. Now to my question.  I ran this config today.

SBDMatrix(Naka 300's)->D8->TRS(stereo unbalanced)->UA-5(no mod)->Soundforge.

My levels were at -2db on average the whole show. With a little figeting the UA-5 balanced the levels, but I was hovering around -2db in the right channel with the sens level on the UA-5 right channel the WHOLE way down.  I was at seven oclock and still almost at clip. I tried changing from Hi to low Z to no avail.  The show came out great and after some post in soundforge it sounds even better. I just think those levels are two close for comfort and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this occured.  At anyrate, the first show with the UA-5 came out great.  I am going to jump into the same line on thursday and was wondering what the case might be. If it is the unbalanced TRS, than I am golden cause my mics will be in that input on Thursday.  I am going to run the board matrix out of the setup previously mentioned, but instead of the TRS ins, i am going to run RCA's to the analog input of the UA-5 and run my C1000s' into the UA-5 for a SBD 4 mic Matrix. I guess my question is "How do I get the levels a little lower? Also, "Is running a four mic mix in this config a good idea (cause the Nakamichi's are so far ahead in the chain that it could cauuse conflict). I figure because the Matrix feed (even with the scary levels) sounded sick, adding a couple a mics to it sound only improve the sound...right?

Offline mldemarco4211

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Yet another UA-5 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:05:43 AM »
Oh...my phantom power refused to turn on today and I was wondering what could cause that to occur.  It wasn't needed today, but I Tested it anyway to be sure it was working...but it wasn't.  I know it works cause it was the first thing I tested when I got the unit a few days ago. 

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Yet another UA-5 Question
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:32:20 AM »
As far as the levels go, that sounds about right.  You were pulling a line level signal from the D8.  The front inputs go from 0-50dB of input gain and you don't need any since you're getting line level.  If you want more headroom, use the rear inputs (which offer some actual attenuation).

Don't know about the phantom problem, unless your batteries were low, in which case phantom dies off while the rest of the unit appears to keep going.

The more mics you use, the greater the opportunity for time alignment and phase errors.  Personally, I would opt for just one set of mics in the best place but others seem to like mulit-mic setups.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com