Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can a Microtrack take dual sources at once????  (Read 1711 times)

Offline digitalcandy926

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
can a Microtrack take dual sources at once????
« on: April 20, 2008, 05:36:54 PM »
I want to make an attempt at a matrix and am not sure if I can use my mics in addition to plugging into the sbd from the rca outputs on the Microtrack????  also, is there a better way to hook up to the sbd with the microtrack?????  thanks

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: can a Microtrack take dual sources at once????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:29:46 AM »
Hm! You might luck out and get it to work with a passive input splitter!? Main problems I could anticipate is that one feed could be too hot and push your input too hard, and the old issue of interaction between the two sources.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
I want to make an attempt at a matrix and am not sure if I can use my mics in addition to plugging into the sbd from the rca outputs on the Microtrack????  also, is there a better way to hook up to the sbd with the microtrack?????  thanks
Let's clear up what you're wanting to do--you want to make a mic/sbd matrix and record it to the MT, I think.  And you're asking if you can record to the MT from two different inputs into the MT simultaneously?  That's not possible, as you have to select one and only one recording source.  The RCA is output-only, btw, which is another thing that's a bit confusing.  You could in fact plug into the sbd from the RCA outputs on the Microtrack, but it would only be to play from the Microtrack into the Tape In or whatever on the sbd, and I don't think the sound guy would appreciate that much.  Otherwise, though, the RCA inputs won't do you any good for recording.  And you can't have both the 1/8" and 1/4" inputs active at the same time.

Now, you could take a mono board feed into one 1/4 and a mic into the other, but you'd have to mix it together in post for it to be usable, really.  And you might have to correct the synch depending on your distance from the PA.  Or, use the splitter in reverse as mosrt suggested, but unless you're using a mic preamp you're not going to have much control over the balance of the two sources and I think the chances of getting something decent aren't all that high.  Better to use two recorders, really, IMO (or a single 4-channel machine, obviously).

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »
or you could get a ua-5!
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline digitalcandy926

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
thanks everyone!!!!   as you can tell, i'm new to all this....... just trying to figure out what I can and can't do with my setup.  Thanks..... and the ua-5 is in my sights for the future

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com