Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R 09 Question  (Read 4267 times)

Offline randallanddarcy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R 09 Question
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »
I am going to America to see Pearl Jam in June, and I'm thinking of finally upgrading my MiniDisc gear to the Edirol R09. My question is: these things record straight to a card. I think it only comes with a wee card, I think. I'll be recording my shows as WAV files (as opposed to mp3). I presume the card that comes with it (if it does come with one) won't have enough space to record a whole show onto. How big a card would I need, and would the card be a generic card or one made specifically for this machine? I'll be doing 6 or 7 shows as well, so the ideal would be to have room for them all on the card and then stick on them computer when I get home.

Anybody use these machines and can help? Are they 'buggy'? Someone suggested getting an iriver, but they only record to mp3. Recording to WAV is technically better quality, right?

Any help appreciated.

Randall

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R 09 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »
I've had an R-09 for a couple of months now and I'm really happy with it.  The card that comes with it is only 64MB, so it's worthless.  The R-09 can record in 16 or 24 bit, and you'll get about 1.5 hours per GB at 16 bit and just under an hour at 24 bit.  I'm guessing that 7 Pearl Jam shows would be about 14-16 hours, so you'd need at least a 16GB SD card to get it all on one (at 16 bit).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:14:46 PM by JackDog »

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
I'll second the thumbs-up on the R-09. I love mine. SD cards are cheap too, so it's not too bad to buy a few for your purpose.

BTW, the iRiver will record to WAV format. Not sure if it does in it's native state, but it's easy to "Rockbox" the unit which gives you plenty of options for recording (search this forum for info on Rockbox). Great little units -- I have an H120 that I like a lot. I don't use mine for taping, but instead as a portable FLAC file player.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
no idea on a 16 bit recording, but a 4gb card run as a WAV 24/48 will be right at 4 hours.

Works out well, as 4 hours of run time is a good time to change the rechargeable batteries and the card all at the same time

Offline randallanddarcy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
Thanks lads. The answer will be to just buy a few extra cards. Perfect. I really don't wanna lug my laptop 'round the States. I like to travel light.

Are the Edirol's pretty user-friendly? I think the cheapest way for me to get one is to get one when I start the tour (I'm doing 6 or 7 shows: 2 in Camden NJ, 2 at MSG in NY, 2 in Boston and maybe start the tour in Virginia Beach. Would I be able to come to grips with it quick enough? It's just that I can't find a shop in Ireland that has them, the UK stores are excessively priced, and postage from the US for one of these little crackers is $100.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
I have one here in the states I am trying to unload for US$300 plus paypal fees, and shipping... PM me if you are interested.  It has been used only 3-4 times and stored in the original box.

Offline gtalife

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
I also recommend the R-09, if cost is a problem, arrange to buy one when you arrive in USA, I'd go with a 4GB card, bring your lappy and just transfer data after each show.

Did some tapin' in the UK last fall, took laptop, R-4, R-09, JB3, cables, mics with me, although i did resort to buying a mic stand when i got there!

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:56:06 PM »
Are the Edirol's pretty user-friendly?

Extremely user-friendly.  You could buy it on your way to the first show and have it figured out by the time you get to the venue.

Offline randallanddarcy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
Thanks lads. Yis are great. Feel free to keep on with the advice  ;D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:03:03 AM »
Given exchange rates/shipping/taxes, you'll save a bundle buying equipment in the US.  You should search the web a little to find out if there is a good music shop near your first stop; you could call them and get them to hold a recorder for you (although they might want a credit card number or something).  Otherwise, you can order on-line and have it shipped to your hotel (make sure to call the hotel and tell them you are expecting a delivery).  If you take up gmm6797's offer, it will be more-or-less easy to arrange something...

Have a good time on your trip!

P.S.  And just get a couple SD cards; they are cheap these days and it is nice to have a few cards around just in case...

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »
no idea on a 16 bit recording, but a 4gb card run as a WAV 24/48 will be right at 4 hours.

6 hrs, 25min @ 16bit on a 4gb card

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
Does the R-09 have the same 2GB file limit as other recorders?  Are the splits seemless?

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
you will need over 2.5 hours per show for data at 24 bit in WAV.  dont forget you dont only record when the band plays, its too difficult at times to stop and start its better to just let it roll on.  You will need several SDHC cards.  If you plan to cover PJ with just an r-09 you can keep it at home unless you want it for memories because the shows will be covered.  So you will need close to 4gb per show of 24/48 files.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »
its never a good idea to " try" an new recorder on a Band that you really want to record.  You should practice.

the r0-9 files are seamless at 2gb.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
+T for visiting and helping to prop up our sagging economy.  You'll find all sorts of things are ridiculously cheap here compared to Britain.  Tell your friends to take their vacations in USA!

Flintstone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com