Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dat xfer (Sony LP setting) A/D question  (Read 5987 times)

Offline indietaperwloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Dat xfer A/D question
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
For my DAT transfers, I use this:

Fostex D-5 > (TOSLINK S/PDIF) > Radio Shack TOSLINK to coax format converter > (Coax S/PDIF) > M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 (via S/PDIF/MIDI dongle to DB9 port)

Does the conversion from TOSLINK to coax cause any issues?

I have a D-5 that is sitting idle and have always liked that deck over my Sony PCM-R500 which I currently have running to my M-Audio 2496 because it has coax outs. I may pick up a converter though if there are no issues. Im just getting back into things and trying to archive my DATs. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with my Radio Shack unit but if you want something bi-directional and something that's more of a sure thing, get the M-Audio CO-2.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html
MSRP is around $80 but I think the street price is usually around $60-70 and I'm sure you could get one on eBay for a lot cheaper.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »
UPDATE:
Came to find out that some of the Dats were recorded on D8 LP setting which the P1 does not support so I got a Sony PCM-R500.  Now I wish I still had a P2 just for the AES input but I'm sure the coax will be fine.  Thanks again everyone, Kirk
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:38:06 PM by kirkd »

Offline mc1620

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the tip!

[/quote]

I've never had a problem with my Radio Shack unit but if you want something bi-directional and something that's more of a sure thing, get the M-Audio CO-2.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html
MSRP is around $80 but I think the street price is usually around $60-70 and I'm sure you could get one on eBay for a lot cheaper.
[/quote]

kirk97132

Re: Dat xfer (Sony LP setting) A/D question
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Some of the tapes were recorded in LP setting on a sony D8.  I'm using a Sony PCM-R500 for playback now and there is no problem playing the tapes....BUT.... I can't get the Edirol R-44 to lock on the didgital signal. It seems that the R500 is passing the signal bit for bit but its at 32hz.  So do I use the A/D  in the UA- 5 Bmp2+ or the R-44? Is there some way to get "bit perfect" copies from32 Hz? I'm thinking UA-5 To the R-44 @ 24/44.  Kirk

Offline jerryfreak

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a llama! (taboot)
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
no, its the same digital data over fiberoptic vs hardwired.

think of your computer receiving hte same data over ethernet or wireless, same concept

Fostex D-5 > (TOSLINK S/PDIF) > Radio Shack TOSLINK to coax format converter > (Coax S/PDIF) > M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 (via S/PDIF/MIDI dongle to DB9 port)

I have a D-5 that is sitting idle and have always liked that deck over my Sony PCM-R500 which I currently have running to my M-Audio 2496 because it has coax outs. I may pick up a converter though if there are no issues. Im just getting back into things and trying to archive my DATs. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Roving Sign

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »
no, its the same digital data over fiberoptic vs hardwired.

think of your computer receiving hte same data over ethernet or wireless, same concept

Pretty sure it's the same...

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:28 AM »
Some of the tapes were recorded in LP setting on a sony D8.  I'm using a Sony PCM-R500 for playback now and there is no problem playing the tapes....BUT.... I can't get the Edirol R-44 to lock on the didgital signal. It seems that the R500 is passing the signal bit for bit but its at 32hz.  So do I use the A/D  in the UA- 5 Bmp2+ or the R-44? Is there some way to get "bit perfect" copies from32 Hz? I'm thinking UA-5 To the R-44 @ 24/44.  Kirk

Can you come with a JB3? I think they will lock on to the 32khz rate...

(no settings or menus you are missing on the R-44 to make it lock???)

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »

Can you come with a JB3? I think they will lock on to the 32khz rate...

(no settings or menus you are missing on the R-44 to make it lock???)

I tried every setting just to be sure but the R-44 won't lock on 32hz and there is no 32hz setting on the R-44.  I used the UA-5 for A/D since Busman Audio advised that it is a little better than the R-44.  It's not a pure clone of the recording but it is a solid xfer (IMHO).  As I stated before I liked the way the BMP2+ sounded.  I guess at some point I was going to have to up the bit rate anyway to be able to put it on cd.  I can only hope that I still feel that it sounds good as I change listening gear.  T to ya!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:45:17 PM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com