Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE  (Read 19789 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE
« on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
Thanks to Tim (notsofast) I was able to pull off a semi-scientific comparison between a stock and Busman T-modded Fostex FR2-LE.  It's not perfect, but it's the best I could do.

Right off the bat, I should note that I did this during the soundcheck to a show, so I could swap recorders mid-song without worrying about any cuts.  So to the extent that the recording sounds like it was made in a big empty room, it was, and that should not be considered a fault of either recorder.

The setup was Audix M1290 hypercardioids in a DINa configuration, 7' up, 30' back, DFC, directly into one deck or the other (running at 24/44.1).  I tried to get the levels roughly equal in the field, peaking at about -12 dB.  But to correct for this, I peak normalized both sources in post (using Sound Studio), normalizing each channel independently to hopefully correct for any mismatch in the channel gain settings on the masters.  This was the only post-processing done.

The results are here.  A-D come from one song, and E-H from another.  Each recorder was used at least once for each song.  Edit: Each recorder was used twice on both songs.  Everyone so far seems to have assumed that anyway, and a statistical analysis of the results is actually easier if we assume everyone knows this.

I'll post a key and my own thoughts in a few days, hopefully after some others have given their blind thoughts.  Let me know if anything is obviously wrong with any of the files, I deliberately didn't listen too closely to any in hopes I would be able to forget which files were which.

All files are 24/44.1 FLACs, 10-15 seconds and 2-3 MB each.

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompA.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompB.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompC.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompD.flac

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompE.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompF.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompG.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompH.flac
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:10:51 AM by Will_S »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
Thanks for doing something in the field (and motivating me). I'll post my results (non-field) about the tmod in a bit, I've been slacking.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
+t's to wills and notsofast for this lab test and for further developing the taping section ;)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Will_S

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »
All the FLAC files in one zip file for easier downloading (16.6 MB):

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComp.zip

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
thanks
i don't hear any real difference between any of them myself
i think i will keep my fr2le stock now
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 11:32:37 PM »
thanks

+T for the comparison.

I also can't hear any difference on that material. I'd love to hear a ticking clock comparison in a very quiet location.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
Does anyone have any space for some FLAC files? I've got some 24/96 stuff I recorded before and after the mod that I need some space to host. (clips of some non-live stuff, silence with TRS jacks, etc). Most clips are about 30-45 seconds.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Will_S

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:58:50 AM »
thanks

+T for the comparison.

I also can't hear any difference on that material. I'd love to hear a ticking clock comparison in a very quiet location.

That would have been nice.  Although it's worth noting that for many of us, this was about as quiet an environment as we ever record in - empty theater with no fans or AC running.  I also wish I'd thought to run stage lip for a bit, as more of a test of the ability to image music coming from actual instruments.  Or spent some time running hotter, maybe the upgraded chips can only do their magic when driven near (into?) clipping.

I need to do some more listening before I offer an opinion on whether I can pick out any differences but if they are there, they are subtle at least given my mics, my playback, and my ears.  YMMV.
I need to do some more careful listening before I offer an opinion on whether I can hear any differences.

Keep the comments coming.  PM me if you want a spoiler.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:01:06 AM »
Does anyone have any space for some FLAC files? I've got some 24/96 stuff I recorded before and after the mod that I need some space to host. (clips of some non-live stuff, silence with TRS jacks, etc). Most clips are about 30-45 seconds.

I've got some space, PM me for details.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:07 AM »
Tough for me to compare with such short samples and different portions of songs for each, but a fun exercise nonetheless.  I'm not at all familiar with the mics and / or recorder, or the music (which I definitely like it), which makes it even more challenging.  Here's my stab:

1st Set:  A / D one source, B / C the other.  I had the toughest time placing B, in part due to the lack of vocals which the other clips all included.

2nd Set:  E / G one source, F / H the other.

B/C/E/G sounds like it has a deeper sense of space, more detailed, warmer / fuzzier bass, and levels a bit stronger on the R side.  A/D/F/H sounds like it has less depth / sense of space than the other, less detail, but punchier and a little more up front, with levels better balanced.

Then again, if I have my sample selection all screwed up, then they all sound different and / or the same.  :P

Thanks for the comp!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Will_S

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »
Spoiler sent via PM.  Thanks and +T to everyone who's responded so far.

A couple points that can be discussed without spoiling anything:

The band is the Waybacks.  The drum kit was slightly right (audience perspective) of center stage, the guitar amp slightly left (although I think most of the guitar was coming through the PA) and the bass amp far to the right (although again much was coming through the PA). 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:53:58 AM »
I'm interested in what digifish is wondering. I have a stock FR2LE and when I recording just recording people talking, I have to raise the gain A LOT and this is with an AT822. How much of a difference could/would the mod make for that kind of situation. Everything I've read about this recorder (other than here) indicates it would be great for a 'field reporting' and recording. I would completely disagree unless my recorder has some major problems.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
Oh yeah, my apologies about only B from the ABCD grouping lacking vocals, unfortunately due to the limited amount of material I had for one of the recorders that was a necessity.

OK, here are my semi-blind thoughts.  You can tell I wasn't cheating (at least, not entirely so) because I want to pick 3 groups:

First song:
It sounds to me like B and D group together.  A and C each seem to be distinct from the others.  I felt like I could localize the bass amp best in A.  C sounded like it was calling attention to itself - not blatantly so by any means but it just seemed to grab me more than the others somehow, a little more upfront.
I liked B and D the best overall.

Second song:
I had a tough time picking out differences, but F seemed to stand out as less dark than the rest, maybe grouping with H.

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »
Interesting test and fun to listen and figure out which samples are which deck. Here is my not so golden ear thoughts. Given all the shows over the many years, my ears are not what they used to be.

I prefer the openness , seperation and tonal accuracy of B-D-F-H. I can hear the Mandolin more clearly in the background on D for example. All of the samples are close but from a personal taste and old ears place I like B-D-F-H.  If I have to pick 2, I agree with you Will, I like B and D.

I think I know which samples are which deck but I do have a bias and own one of the decks. This was really fun to do and hope it provides folks out there a good comparison for those shopping for a FR2LE or curious about modding their FR2LE.

Thanks to you Will_S for doing this. Look forward to meeting up with you at other shows.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline Will_S

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
Keep the replies coming folks.

No one's gotten everything exactly right yet.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
Keep the replies coming folks.

No one's gotten everything exactly right yet.

Without naming people it would be interesting to post the statistics when you are done. Remember that even those who do get it 100% correct may do so by chance.

digifish
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:15:33 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
Cool test.  I'll have to listen when I get home. :)

Offline willndmb

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »
i now know the "answer" and i listened again
i think the vocals you can hear a slight difference if you really pay attn
the music i can't hear anything

all this was done on my laptop with no special speakers or anything though

for now i will stick to my stock furtooli
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Will_S

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »

Hmmm.  This is not meant to be a gotcha*, but would you say this is from the same recorder as clip A or from the other recorder (anyone can answer, please say same as A or not rather than which recorder if you've seen the spoiler):

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompCallingU.flac

*I think I might be hearing the same thing as you but it's hard to say since I know where everything came from but this new one should be blind for you.

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 10:33:18 PM »
A and B sound better to me than C and D.

E and G sound better to me than F and H.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »
Listening lab Imac speakers:
B,D, E, and F

all this was done on my laptop with no special speakers or anything though

for now i will stick to my stock furtooli
Yeah if I recorded DMB I would most likely stick to a stock Fr-Le2 to :P
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Will_S

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »
Keep the replies coming folks, and see the new test file as well:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,111772.msg1495443.html#msg1495443

Ideally, I'd love to hear why you prefer certain tracks or think they group together as well as just your letter choices.

Edit:  New responders, note that each recorder was used twice on each song.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:12:36 AM by Will_S »

Offline willndmb

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

Hmmm.  This is not meant to be a gotcha*, but would you say this is from the same recorder as clip A or from the other recorder (anyone can answer, please say same as A or not rather than which recorder if you've seen the spoiler):

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompCallingU.flac

*I think I might be hearing the same thing as you but it's hard to say since I know where everything came from but this new one should be blind for you.
i'll pm you
if i post public it might give away the goes together

Offline willndmb

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
I'm interested in what digifish is wondering. I have a stock FR2LE and when I recording just recording people talking, I have to raise the gain A LOT and this is with an AT822. How much of a difference could/would the mod make for that kind of situation. Everything I've read about this recorder (other than here) indicates it would be great for a 'field reporting' and recording. I would completely disagree unless my recorder has some major problems.
check to make sure your mic trim is not set to high

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

How do I make sure its not too high? Usually I HAVE to use the knobs to adjust it all the way to the right for more gain.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
I must not have a very good speaker system at home because I had a hard time telling any difference.  Either that or my hearing's shot.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
I must not have a very good speaker system at home because I had a hard time telling any difference.  Either that or my hearing's shot.
Maybe you have to take the xen approach to the ? and instead of looking for a difference look for what sounds good to your ears. ;)
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »
Maybe you're right.  I shall try to Zen it tomorrow night when I have some free time. haha

Offline willndmb

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 12:20:18 AM »

How do I make sure its not too high? Usually I HAVE to use the knobs to adjust it all the way to the right for more gain.
hmm yeah to the right is the least amount of trim
i was thinking maybe you have them to the left and so it was cutting your signal down and in turn forcing you to turn up the gain

Offline Will_S

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
Identities of the individual tracks, as well as the statistics on how people did, will be revealed tonight, probably around 10-11 Pacific time.  Get your blind opionions in while you can!

Offline Will_S

RESULTS/SPOILER Re: Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »
Looking at our results:

9 people in total responded.
4 stated they could not hear any differences.
5 stated they could hear differences, BUT
4/5 of us made incorrect pairings on BOTH songs.  In other words we never identified a sonic difference that was due to the mod. It's not just we wrongly thought stock was mod and vice versa, we thought stock paired with mod in all cases rather than correctly pairing stock with stock and mod with mod, to say nothing of identifying which was which.
1/5 of us got one correct pairing (for one song) and one wrong pairing (for the other song).

The way the test works, for each song we could either correctly pair the two stock samples together (which means we therefore also paired the two modded samples together), or we could match up stock with modded (if we match one set of stock and modded, the remaining pair must also consist of one stock and one modded).  There are in fact two ways to do an incorrect pairing and one way to pair correctly, meaning if we picked randomly we had a 1/3 chance of getting each song right:

A-B (wrong): tonedeaf
A-C (wrong): Will_S (by default if B-D pair), notsofast, rowjimmytour
A-D (right): Brian Skallinder

E-F (wrong): rowjimmytour
E-G (wrong): Brian Skallinder, Will_S, notsofast, tondeaf
E-H (right): nobody

So the numbers pretty much speak for themselves.  I don't think there's an audible difference between a stock FR2LE and a Busman transparency modded deck UNDER THE RECORDING CONDITIONS OF THIS TEST.  Other conditions, and/or other mods, might be a different story.  And the short clips, from different points in time, are a definite drawback.  But I think this test was a good representation of the conditions I record under, and would expect a significant difference to remain audible even under these less than ideal testing conditions.  Personally, I don't plan on getting my deck modded, but encourage you to listen to the samples and decide for yourself.

With such a small sample size, looking for any patterns in our answers is a dubious exercise as spurious relationships can easily come about by chance.  That said, since we were all over the map on song 1, it seems reasonable to conclude that not only were we unable to tell stock from modded, but there was no clear difference in tonal quality due to external factors (eg, mix adjustments by the FOH engineer) that were misleading us into lumping unrelated tracks together.  The most popular grouping was A with C.  The actual temporal sequence in which trackes were recorded was D, A, (switch gear), B, C.  So, it seems unlikely that there was an FOH adjustment that would have led us to group A and C together.

On song 2, which actually came earlier in the soundcheck, one might wonder about the fact that so many of us lumped F-H and E-G together (although tonedeaf and [probably] Brian disagreed with notsofast and myself as to which sounded better [reading between the lines to infer a preference for Brian]).  In fact, if we were simply picking randomly, there is about a 4% chance that 4/5 of us would pick the same choice out of three options (google binomial probability if you want to see how I calculated that).  Arguably, most statisticians would say when the probability of such a result coming about by chance is so small, we can reasonably talk about alternative hypothesis to explain why we identified a difference.  But, significance is arguable in this case, because really we should be doing a significance test on the number of correct pairings across both songs, and overall we clearly did no better than would be expected by chance.  By doing a second test on just a subset of our data, we are perhaps "data mining" and need to use a more stringent standard for statistical significance. 

What strikes me as a possible explanation for so many of us pairing G and H together - given that this was the earlier song in the soundcheck, and the temporal sequence of samples was F, (switch decks), H, E, (change decks), then G - is that the FOH changed the mix slightly before sample E, thus causing most of us to identify F and H as linked.  So perhaps this was not an ideal test, but it does seem clear that the sonic impact of the mod (again, in this recording scenario) was small enough to be completely overshadowed by (possibly) a slight tweak at the board.  You can listen for a change in the mix yourself here:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompTransition.flac

(consists of H, the intervening period, and E)

So I suppose it's possible Brian could in fact hear the difference between decks on the first song, and was misled into not listening more closely to the second song due to changes in the mix.  MAYBE, because as digifish_music mentioned with enough people "guessing", someone should get it right by chance.  Clearly the rest of us were not hearing the effects of the mod.  So maybe 1 out of 9 people can hear the effects of the mod under these conditions.

Here are the actual sources of each track:

A: Stock
B: Mod
C: Mod
D: Stock

E: Mod
F: Stock
G: Stock
H: Mod

But as I said, under other conditions the differences may be audible.  For instance, maybe you can pick out mod vs. stock in these tracks, provided by page.  Hopefully he will explain what we are listening to at some point:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-ayurveda-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-ayurveda-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-miller-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-miller-TRS
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-no-cords-just-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-no-cords-just-TRS.flac
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:35:05 AM by Will_S »

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 01:36:13 AM »
Well I tried to Zen up my listening process earlier tonight with little to no success.  Hell, I even had a Chi Tea Latte and that didn't help.  Still was too close to call.  My ears must be getting old.

Cool test though, thanks for putting it together.  :)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
Thanks for the details and doing the test, as we were discussing in PM, my initial impression they all sounded the same was not quite true, I can hear clear differences in brightness between...

A, C, E & G sound to me are brighter than B, D, F & H

Interestingly this does not correlate with the mod/non-mod recorders :)

If you swap quickly between pairs as follows (as happens if you run down the list), the differences are reasonably clear...

A > B
C > D
E < F
G < H

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
Re: RESULTS/SPOILER Re: Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »
Thanks for doing this Will.  I don't regret getting my box modded.  To me, the recordings I listened to on LMA just sounded better to my ears.  I'll never regret throwing $ at Busman.  He produces quality products.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline willndmb

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
thanks again +t

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
Re: RESULTS/SPOILER Re: Comparison: Stock vs. Busman T-Mod Fostex FR2LE
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
But as I said, under other conditions the differences may be audible.  For instance, maybe you can pick out mod vs. stock in these tracks, provided by page.  Hopefully he will explain what we are listening to at some point:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-ayurveda-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-ayurveda-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-miller-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-miller-TRS
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/P-no-cords-just-TRS.flac
http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/BmodLab/Q-no-cords-just-TRS.flac

(see this for historical reference)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,108899.msg1453583.html

Based on that topic, I selected 5 CDs (these are two of them), and did before comps in addition to purely academic recordings.

The songs were recorded with the following chain:
All were CDs
All recordings were made in BWF 24/96khz
Front end: Pioneer DV-525 > RCA out > 2X [RCA-to-3.5mm cable] > 3.5mm-to-1/4" adaptor > FR2-LE
Back end: BWFs > Audacity (purely for conversion, no edits) > 24/96 FLAC (exported from Audacity, not separate command line).

One scientific control issue that I ran into was that I didn't mark which RCA cable I used on which channel, and I've discovered that one of them is slightly noisier then the other, sorry. Same goes for the TRS adaptors, if one is noisier then the other, I didn't control for that. Also, since I didn't do these right after I got the unit back (ran to a show as the package arrived), I didn't use the exact same gain settings, so keep that in mind.

The non-songs had the same conversion in audacity, but the front end is different. For the no-cords-just-TRS set, what I did was connect the 3.5mm-to-1/4" adaptors to the FR2-LE with nothing attached to the adaptors, then cranked the gain to max and hit record. So what you end up with are really quiet recordings that can be looked at from a frequency analysis perspective. If you look, I recommend that you amp both files by 50db, then do the analysis so you actually have something to look at. I think this is the closest that we can come to seeing the effect of what was modded. With that in mind, I'm not going to say which is P and which is Q (chosen because the letters are far away on the keyboard).

If there is a real interest, I'll do the other three sources and see if Will can host those. I think one is bluegrass, another is symphonic orchestral, and I think Acadian folk music is the last.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »
One thing I would like to add to the test is. This mod to me would not pair very well the the audix mics and especially in hyper pattern. This mod to me would bring out brightness in these mics and with a hyper capsule this would intensify since they tend to have slightly less bass response.  I would reccomend the vintage mod on these mics.  If you listened on computer speakers then you would never hear a difference. our artform of recording is always better heard through a good playback chain.  When I test my mods and listen back it is through studio monitors that will bring out every subtle nuance of change that could possibly be heard.

You will not hear soundstage differences through computer speakers for the most part. Also the definition in the low end needs good playback to hear. I am not trying to discount the test or anyones listening habits just pointing out why you may not hear differences. I will have to do some frequency analysis on a few of the mods when time allows.

Thanks for doing the test and as always, have fun recording great tunes.

Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Will_S

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
Fair points, although I did all of my listening through headphones (Grado SR80s) and my main stereo playback system (a pair of ADS L710s).  A few respondents do seem to have used just computer speakers though.

Edit:  Also the test here wasn't whether the transparent mod paired well with my mics, but whether we could hear a difference, good or bad.  And to present as direct as possible a comparison between stock and modded units in the field, for people to listen to with their own ears on their own systems, and decide for themselves.  In no way do I think the stats from this particular listening test are the be all and end all when it comes to assessing this or any mod.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:15:59 PM by Will_S »

Offline Will_S

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
Update:

In a blind listening test using page's clips, I was not 100% sure I was hearing a real difference, but convinced myself I had a preference on both musical tracks.  And as it turns out, I preferred the modded version on both musical tracks.  Of course there's a 25% chance I would have picked "correctly" for both tracks by chance, so it would be interesting to hear how others do.

For the no cords/just noise samples, I had to play them back at WAAAAAY higher than normal levels to hear anything.  Having boosted each by 48 dB, I could hear an obvious difference, although I'm not sure what practical relevance this has.  Also, I don't know if the mod changes the amount of gain you get at any given knob setting, so I'm not sure how relevant the level of resulting noise is.  I could hear a definite tonal difference too, and suspect one might be less objectionable in practice if I routinely recorded very quiet sources, although either noise floor would be buried in a live show recording environment.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
Here are the actual sources of each track:

A: Stock
B: Mod
C: Mod
D: Stock

E: Mod
F: Stock
G: Stock
H: Mod

Thanks for doing this comp Will.  I wish I saw it when you first posted it. 

I listened to all the samples before moving on to read other's posts and yours revealing the matches.  I found the samples to differ significantly due to the quality of the treble (mostly the cymbals) and used that alone, to the exclusion of other, possibly more subtle aspects, to classify which was which since I'm lazy and was impatient to get to the results.  Not being familiar with the stock sound or the mod, I decided to put the brighter, more sibilant samples in the mod category)

My score when ranking the samples solely by their obvious (to me) high frequency differences-
A-brighter (guessed mod)  wrong
B-less bright (guessed stock)  wrong
C-brighter (guessed mod)
D-less bright (guessed stock)
E-less bright (guessed stock)  wrong
F-brighter (guessed mod)  wrong
G-less bright (guessed stock)
H-brighter (guessed mod)

My take?  The biggest difference I heard between samples was in the high frequencies. Those sound quality differences were obvious and 100% repeatable (ie- I choose the same way with multiple listenings). Now how much of that was due to the mod and how much the ongoing adjustments of the mix engineer during the sound check is impossible to say.  Lots of adjustments happen during the sound check  and I'd expect most of those to be more significant than the subtle differences between the stock and mod'ed recorders. The sound board and the sound check are designed to make large and often obvious changes to the sound. To me this comp does an excellent job of showing the incredible difficulty of eliminating the extraneous variables that can completely skew the results of any comparison.  Those extraneous variables are usually harder to route out and uncover though, and I think the true value of your thread is the highlighting that often hard to acknowledge aspect, which you stated well in the quote below.

What strikes me as a possible explanation for so many of us pairing G and H together - given that this was the earlier song in the soundcheck, and the temporal sequence of samples was F, (switch decks), H, E, (change decks), then G - is that the FOH changed the mix slightly before sample E, thus causing most of us to identify F and H as linked.  So perhaps this was not an ideal test, but it does seem clear that the sonic impact of the mod (again, in this recording scenario) was small enough to be completely overshadowed by (possibly) a slight tweak at the board.  You can listen for a change in the mix yourself here:

http://homepage.mac.com/satterwill/FR2LEComparison/CompTransition.flac

(consists of H, the intervening period, and E)

So I suppose it's possible Brian could in fact hear the difference between decks on the first song, and was misled into not listening more closely to the second song due to changes in the mix.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

My score when ranking the samples solely by their obvious (to me) high frequency differences-
A-brighter (guessed mod)  wrong
B-less bright (guessed stock)  wrong
C-brighter (guessed mod)
D-less bright (guessed stock)
E-less bright (guessed stock)  wrong
F-brighter (guessed mod)  wrong
G-less bright (guessed stock)
H-brighter (guessed mod)

Interesting, I thought A, C, E & G sounded brighter than B, D, F & H, so we agree on A, C but not E & G :)

Actually in terms of brightness I heard...

A > B
C > D
E < F
G < H

Is that your impression?

- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Agreed on the first three, but H sounded brighter than G to me:
H > G
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:01 AM »
I think busman has a point.  Not only do the audix hypers pair better with a warmer mod, but the warmed mod is more noticeable than any of the others.   The stock decks tend to be rather neutral and tranparent so comparing to a transparent mod will not be as noticable as a vintage/warm.  I have had all kinds of mod flavors.  Tranparent, BM2P+, Presense, Clarity, Song Catcher and Warm.  All of these mods did not make a large difference in my recorings, with exception, the warm mod.  If this test was done with a warmer mod, I bet the differences would be obvious....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
Can anyone record *ambient* sounds with these boxes?

Put the mics in your kitchen during dinner time and get voices and random sounds.

This will allow us to hear how natural things sound, and also compare the noise floor.

I do a lot of this type of recording, but I've only got a (self) modded FR2-LE box.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Here's a post about the Oade mod on the fostex forumn.

http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=topic&t=4084

Richard,

Would you want external mics or the internal mics?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Here's a post about the Oade mod on the fostex forumn.

http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=topic&t=4084

Richard,

Would you want external mics or the internal mics?
I'm thinking external mics.  Something fairly transparent, like DPA4060 or a good pair of small condensers (Neumann, Scheops, Beyerdynamic, etc).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dude2010

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
Sorry to rip up this thread - but does anyone have pics of the inside boards after mods, to see what is done? Especially on a Tascam HD-P2?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.362 seconds with 77 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com