Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphones 101  (Read 2297 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Microphones 101
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:26:03 AM »
You know...after all these years of recording and accumulating lots of knowledge about recording, how preamps perform, which mics sound best to me etc, there's something that I just realized that I still really don't understand...HOW EXACTLY DOES A MICROPHONE WORK??

I mean, of course I understand that sound pressure goes into one end of the mic and the sound pressure impacts a diaphragm and then there's some electronics that work some magic to covert that into an electrical signal the gets output from the microphone unit for interpretation by a preamp or recorder.  But that really doesn't explain to me what's happening inside that tiny little 'black box' that's called a microphone.  For example, some questions are...

What exactly is a diaphragm and how does is 'hear' the entire range of frequencies.  For example, I suppose it's similar to the human ear where the diaphragm is analogous to the eardrum.  But what I'm confused about is that the human ear has multiple nerve endings in the cochlea that each are sensitive to separate frequencies.  However, a mic has the diaphragm.  So how are separate frequencies being 'heard' by the microphone...or is this thing were refer to as the 'microphone diaphragm' actually analogous to both the eardrum and the cochlea?

What 'magic' process is happening inside the mic where the diaphragm senses a certain frequency and then somehow that gets converted into an electrical signal.  How does it happen?  How does the mic interpret what the diaphragm is 'hearing' such that it gets converted to electrical data.

What electrical data is actually being output from the mic?  For example, I know that many instrument transmitters sense the motive signal (pressure, temperature, etc.) and then convert that into a 4-20mA signal.  The 4-20mA signal then gets interpreted by the end device to display to us humans the temperature, pressure, etc based on the magnitude of the signal (which of course is between 4 and 20mA).  So, is a mic sending out a 4-20mA?

I'm looking at the world through a childs eyes today and just wondering.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:28:42 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microphones 101
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »
From HowStuffWorks:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question309.htm

Condenser microphones - A condenser microphone is essentially a capacitor, with one plate of the capacitor moving in response to sound waves. The movement changes the capacitance of the capacitor, and these changes are amplified to create a measurable signal. Condenser microphones usually need a small battery to provide a voltage across the capacitor.

Dynamic microphones - A dynamic microphone takes advantage of electromagnet effects. When a magnet moves past a wire (or coil of wire), the magnet induces current to flow in the wire. In a dynamic microphone, the diaphragm moves either a magnet or a coil when sound waves hit the diaphragm, and the movement creates a small current.

We typically are using condensor mics.  So basically, the capsule diaphragm moves due to the sound pressure waves.  This movement narrows and expands the distance of the capsule diaphragm from a fixed(?) plate/backplate.  The difference in distance changes the capacitance of the capacitor microphone, which results in a varying voltage from the capsule assembly.

The same general idea of capsule diaphragm movement is at work in a dynamic microphone, but in that case (based on Faraday's Law?), the movement of the capsule through a coil of wire induces a current flow.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
Maybe you should stop by your local library, Steve:

http://catalog.einetwork.net/search~S38?/dMicrophone./dmicrophone/-3%2C-1%2C0%2CB/frameset&FF=dmicrophone&10%2C%2C13

;D

BWWAAAHHAAA.  Hey Gil.  I'm in Slovenia.  Care to direct me to where one might be?  LOL!!!

Thanks for the link though!

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
I'm in Slovenia. 

Now that *is* a nice part of the world to be.  I'll be round the corner in Slovakia at Christmas.  ;D

To answer your questions......

You will find many interesting articles on the Microphone Data website - their Library is extremely useful.

Dynamic Mics: - basically a loudspeaker in reverse - a coil of wire wriggling around in a magnetic field and producing a voltage when the diaphragm moves.

Condense mics (AF and RF):

AF

To start with I should explain the terms AF and RF in the context of condenser microphones. To put it simply, the normal ‘AF’ or ‘audio frequency’ condenser microphone employs a capsule design which is, in effect, a capacitor that stores a static electricity charge.

This charge can be created in one of two ways, but in professional studio mics usually this is generated by a DC polarising voltage applied to the capsule. The amount of charge that can be contained in this capacitor is proportional to various factors, such as the size of the conductive plates (the diaphragm and back plate), and the space between them. These two plates obviously have a fixed size, and the back plate is fixed in position, but the front plate – the diaphragm – is able to vibrate in sympathy with the sound. This vibration back and forth changes the distance between the two plates in direct proportion to the level of the incident sound, and so the value of capacitance varies accordingly. If the capacitance changes, then the size of charge that can be stored changes as well, and a minute current therefore flows in or out of the capsule as that charge ebbs and flows. This current is measured by the head pre-amplifier within the microphone body to generate a more robust audio signal at the microphone’s output.

This is all well and good, and there are a large number of very high quality AF condenser microphones available from a wide variety of manufacturers. However, this simple system is not without certain inherent problems. One of the most important is that the capacitor capsule has to operate in a high impedance circuit. The charge stored in the capacitor has to be maintained at a constant level until the diaphragm moves in response to incident sound waves, and so the head amplifier must have an extremely high input impedance to avoid drawing current from the capsule. While it is technically possible to achieve this, the stored charge is always looking for others ways to escape, and unfortunately in a humid atmosphere the stored charge often finds it easier to escape on water molecules in the air. The result is a noisy and reduced output, and misery all round.

RF

The RF system uses the same basic capacitive capsule design, but in an entirely different way. The principle is to use the capsule as the tuning capacitor in an RF (radio frequency) circuit – where it operates in a low impedance mode with a high frequency signal (typically around 8MHz) passing through the capacitor all the time. Changes in the capsule capacitance (caused by sound waves moving the diaphragm) modulates the tuning of an RF oscillator in proportion to the incident sound waves. A simple RF demodulator circuit converts these RF frequency modulations back to a conventional audio signal. This approach is clearly more complex than the simple AF condenser system, (although still very rugged and reliable), but the low-impedance nature of the circuitry around the capsule helps to make the system far more tolerant of atmospheric humidity. As a result, this technology has become preferred for microphones intended to be used out of doors, or when moving from outside to inside on a cold day!

When condenser microphones were first developed only valve (vacuum tube) technology was available as the active element of the required pre-amplifier / impedance converter. It was simply not a realistic proposition to construct an RF oscillator and demodulator using valve technology if it had to be built into the body of a practical microphone. Thus all of the early condenser microphones were conventional AF condensers. However, by the 1960s transistors had become available...

With the advent of the transistor, microphone companies began to research ways of producing a condenser microphone using these compact transistors. The problem was that transistors have to operate in relatively low-impedance circuits, but an AF condenser microphone requires a high-impedance environment, which can only be achieved using either a valve or a field-effect transistor (FET). However, as FETs did not exist at the time R&D efforts went into finding an alternative way of producing a condenser microphone using transistors and low impedance circuitry. The solution was the development of the RF Condenser principle.

However, because the field-effect transistor came along very quickly after the bipolar transistor, most manufacturers quickly adopted these newer high-impedance devices to produce compact AF condenser microphones. Essentially, they were able to take their existing amplifier circuits, replace the valve with an FET, and immediately produce a condenser microphone with solid-state circuitry. These companies saw no need to spend further time and money developing the technology necessary to manufacture RF condenser microphones when the FET already provided the solution they required. This left only Sennheiser to pursue the RF technology. As Sennheiser had no history of producing AF condensers they were not bound to existing design traditions, and they could see many fundamental advantages in the RF concept, including the immunity to the effects of humidity, lower self-noise (a valve or FET has higher random noise, especially at low frequencies), and the fact that the RF demodulator circuitry lends itself to generating a balanced audio output by simpler means than having to bolt a large, heavy and expensive transformer onto the back end. It is even simpler than the electronic quasi-balancing circuits used in many modern microphones.

Another useful advantage of the RF condenser design is that it can, theoretically at least, have a frequency response that extends down to zero Hz. This has been demonstrated with the development of special measurement microphones such as the MKH 110, which boasts a frequency response specified down to 1 Hz. There was also the MKH 110-1 variant which went down to 0.1 Hz! These particular microphones were discontinued many years ago, although a large number are still in use, and the modern MKH 20 omnidirectional microphone has a frequency response extending down to 12Hz. In fact, with a simple modification it can capture sounds as low as 5Hz – the lower limit is actually determined by the largest physical size of capacitor that can be housed within the microphone body.

I hope this helps - this is, in fact, part of an article I wrote for a magazine a few years back; but I hope it helps in some way to answer you question.

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Totally appreciated John.  Awesome response.  I'll have to read it once or twice more to totally absorb the details.

Have a nice time in Slovakia.  FWIW, I'm only here in biz and will be home by Christmas.  Been here on and off for a loooog time now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 2.213 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com