Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Digi switch mod - where to put the switch? Remove optical digital out?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline spaceboy_psy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Always expect the inevitable
Hi everyone, wondered what people were doing with their switches after a UA-5 Digi Switch Mod? Do most just tape it down inside the case? I'd really like it on the outside somewhere but don't have a drill, so wondered if I could remove the optical digital input or output, slip the switch in that hole, and still have a working UA-5? Or would that break the circuit? The coaxial output is another contender but looks harder as it's part of the same piece of plastic as the coaxial input, which I do need.

Cheeeers!

EDIT: Also, wondered if someone could help me out with a little thing. Following this guy's instructions: http://album.he.fi/hessu/ua5-switch-modified/?c=albumview&ctype=large&first=1&count=10

He's cut the trace on the under-side of the board, unlike other digi mod instructions I read, and I wondered where I should test for continuity here? It seems obvious but thought I should check to be sure - between the point right next to the cut (Here: http://album.he.fi/photo.php/hessu.34.1722.large.jpg) and the next point along the trace, below and between C40 and R32?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:32:29 PM by spaceboy_psy »

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
From the lack of response I'm going out on a limb suggesting that probably no one doing a UA5 mod is doing the "switch" mod shown.  Why?  Because the main reason the mod was implemented by the Oade Bros in the first place was to eliminate the need of a laptop in the signal chain via USB.  If you wanted to use a laptop in the field as your recording device, then the mod wasn't required at all.  As we know, the beauty of the mod was that it allowed the box to send output signals with out being tethered to a lappy. 

That said, drill a hole in the case where you can access the switch only as needed.  Personally, I'd not opt for removing any output options.  I think I'd drill out the back just above the digital input selector switch... then hope it doesn't get bumped... 

Good luck.
Not seeing any shows now (thanks Covid)... None at The Fine Line.
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
I'm a Mask-debator, at least till I get glasses. GOHCQC 2 + 2 = 4
Official Archivist (on hold) for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/AT4051a/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline spaceboy_psy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Always expect the inevitable
Thanks for the reply!

Yup, seems the switch mod ain't so popular. I want it not so I can use a laptop in the field but so I can use the UA-5 in my home, and so drilling a hole seems to be the best option now. Will have to find someone who can drill then! Cheers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com