Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Seeks Advice:Tascam DR-7 or Zoom H2,Security Staff??  (Read 5015 times)

Offline spook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie Seeks Advice:Tascam DR-7 or Zoom H2,Security Staff??
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »
Hi all,Ive just joined this site so please forgive my inexperience.

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some recording equipment.Basically,  money is pretty tight so i am really only looking at entry level solid state recorders-and the internal mics included therein-to begin with.Eventually i may invest in some external mics depending on how my initial taping efforts pan out.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a choice between the Zoom H2 or the Tascam DR-7.I am leaning more towards the DR-7 because i have been very impressed with recordings made using Tascam and also because of certain problems that some people have mentioned in connection with the Zoom i:e 'cheap' construction,SD card slot snapping off etc.

I will be recording loud Rock/Metal shows,mainly in small to medium sized clubs with the occasional gig taking place in larger concert hall type venues.These will undoubtedly be discreet/stealth recording ventures.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding pros/cons of DR-7 vs. Zoom H2 and especially hints or tips from experienced tapers about recommended positioning and the capture of decent sound using a solid state recorder without attracting the attention of security staff.

Many thanks in advance for your input and all suggestions will be gratefully received.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Newbie Seeks Advice:Tascam DR-7 or Zoom H2,Security Staff??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:16:07 AM »
In my opinion, the Zoom's only plus is good sounding internal mics. However they can distort at extremely loud shows.

For use with external mics the D-07 is MUCH better and I've heard it's internal mics are pretty good as well. I would try to download some recordings made with each and see what you think, but when you upgrade to externals, you'll definitely be happy if you bought the Tascam.

Besides improving the sound, it is inconvenient to stealth with a recorder with built in mics, so you should upgrade to externals as soon as you can.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:03:04 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
Hi all,Ive just joined this site so please forgive my inexperience.

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some recording equipment.Basically,  money is pretty tight so i am really only looking at entry level solid state recorders-and the internal mics included therein-to begin with.Eventually i may invest in some external mics depending on how my initial taping efforts pan out.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a choice between the Zoom H2 or the Tascam DR-7.I am leaning more towards the DR-7 because i have been very impressed with recordings made using Tascam and also because of certain problems that some people have mentioned in connection with the Zoom i:e 'cheap' construction,SD card slot snapping off etc.

I will be recording loud Rock/Metal shows,mainly in small to medium sized clubs with the occasional gig taking place in larger concert hall type venues.These will undoubtedly be discreet/stealth recording ventures.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding pros/cons of DR-7 vs. Zoom H2 and especially hints or tips from experienced tapers about recommended positioning and the capture of decent sound using a solid state recorder without attracting the attention of security staff.

Many thanks in advance for your input and all suggestions will be gratefully received.

The tascam dr1 has the best built in mics I have ever heard on a recorder. And its cheap.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545821-REG/Tascam_DR_1_DR_1_Portable_Stereo_Audio.html
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:51 AM »
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/tascam-dr-07-review.html

For stealth you really need external mics unless you're willing to sew or build something that will hold the recorder without it sliding around. You'll look pretty suspicious standing there holding the thing in your hand.

Also, metal shows are LOUD. I don't know how much the Tascam can handle but you may not be able to prevent built-ins from overloading. For loud shows you will need not just mics but a battery box (about $40-$50) to help handle a loud signal. Look at places like www.soundprofessionals.com, www.microphonemadness.com and Church-Audio, which sells on eBay Canada.

But I think stealth is easier nowadays because everyone at a concert has some kind of digital gadget in hand: camera, smartphone, video camera. So pulling out your recorder and checking your levels now just looks like you're texting.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:09:30 AM by earmonger »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
I just got the DR-07 and tested it at an open show directly next to my Beyerdynamic MC930's. The DR-07 made a tolerable recording at best (IMO). It was better than nothing, but I don't plan on using it's internal mics ever again, unless that is the only option. Even my old Low Cost Core Sound Binurals sounded better.

I think doing something like some Church Audio mics > battery box (or preamp if you don't mind spending a few extra $$$) > DR-07 would sound much better, and you could also keep the large part of that rig (ie the DR-07), in your pocket.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline spook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »
Thankyou very much to all you guys who took time out to answer my queries,I really appreciate your input.

I think im gonna go with the Tascam DR-7. I would love to get DR-1 but as finances are tight the DR-7 is the next best option.Ive read that that the DR-7 is basically a 'lite' version of the DR-1 just without some of the extra features that i probably would'nt use anyway.

I must admit i am pretty apprehensive about using the internal mics for stealth recording as i dont really want to stand there with the recorder in plain view for everyone to see.However,Im gonna give it a shot while trying to be as discreet as possible.Ive got a gig coming up in early february so i will post an update on my initial recording attempt whatever happens.

I was actually looking at the Church audio mics the other day and was very impressed with peoples thoughts on them.If i am compromised using the internals or if the recording isn't up to scratch then i will definately move to externals.I am also very keen on the added 'stealth' factor of using externals which would definately lower the anxiety level!

Many thanks to all of you,This is a fantastic site!!

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Great choice on that DR-7!

One thing you should know:  The auto level setting feature is for speech recording, not music.  If you use that, you WILL be disappointed.  There are no good music recordings made with the auto level setting feature.  If you need convincing, try recording off your home stereo system and see what the result sounds like.

And I'd recommend that you start saving for your external mics and either a battery box or a preamp that can provide a larger open circuit bias than your DR-7 will provide.  I've got a DR-1 and as good as the internal mics are, there is still a noticeable improvement by going with the external mics and the higher mic bias voltage.

For non-critical listening, the internal mics are great.  I have friends that use a DR-7 to record their band's practices and the internal mics are good enough for them to hear their own flaws.  When they want to record something for other people to hear, they break out the external mics and do it right.

How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com