Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie looking for a recorder  (Read 2183 times)

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Newbie looking for a recorder
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »
Hello,
I am new here and want to get into taping. I know I need a couple things, but first I am looking to buy a digital recorder. I have seen some good things about the Sony M10 and have been thinking about that one. Any thoughs on it or recommendations of other recorders would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Newbie looking for a recorder
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:21:23 AM »
It's a great machine and very easy to use. As a bonus, if you ever need to use internal mics, the M10's are way better than most digital recorders.

I would go with it.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
The market is pretty solid when it comes to good quality hand held digital recorders.  The one absolute requirement would be 24bit bit depth, which most all of the newer recorders provide.  One of the best features of the Sony that you're looking at that I've read is that it has incredible run time on a set of batteries.  The quality provided by all of these handheld recorders is quite amazing.  The sound you can expect ranges from acceptable when using on-board mics to amazing when using good quality out-board gear upstream of the recorder.  I'd say to try to forecast the type of rig you'll be building around your recorder, then concentrate on any specific features you'll need to support that (for example, will you need a digital input, which the Sony provides).  In the end though, I think almost all of the recorders in this genre will have most of the same feature set.  I think that you'll be quite happy with whatever you end up with, as long as it's not the low end. 

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
Your best bets in the $300 range are probably the M10 and the Edirol R-09HR.  You can't go wrong with either of them (although I haven't used the M10 personally). 

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the M10.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »
Another recommendation for the M10. Great display, very good built-in mics, feels very solid 4GB built-in. Google around and you can now find them for $275--and at that price B&H throws in the Sony case (for storage, not field use).

But note: It does NOT have optical/digital in for realtime recording. The line-in jack is analog. (It does of course have a digital USB connector, standard minijack.)

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FB/

You'll want to get outboard mics to eliminate handling noise, though in a non-stealth situation you don't even need them: The PCM-M10 has a socket for mounting on a tripod.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com