Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iPhone Recorder?  (Read 8352 times)

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
iPhone Recorder?
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
I did a search, but didn't find what I was looking for...or didn't look hard enough.  Can the iPhone (I have a 16gb 3Gs) be used as to record?  More to the point, can you record from a SBD?

Thanks, and sorry if this dead horse has been beaten.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: iPhone Recorder?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »
Yes, the iphone can be used to record, and to record line-in.

some caveats:

- maximum recording quality is limited to 16bit / 44.1 khz (redbook CD quality)
 - you need some form of adapter to run line-in.  Several manufacturers make microphones that plug into the bottom Apple plug, and several of those allow line-in as well as microphone/preamp feed.  I don't know if they can take a pro-level line in such as you would get from a soundboard.
 - in addition to the adapter, you'll also need an app, but yes, there's an app for that (apparently several). 

Do a search on iphone in the microphones board and you'll see some of the devices for recording with the Iphone.

Mike
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Here's a gadget with an audio line in for the iPhone.  It's supposed to be available in a few weeks for $250.  (I hope their engineering is better than their typing.  The web pages are full of typos.)
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaudiointerface_technical_d.html

The Tunewear Stereo Sound Recorder is another option for line in.  The web page shows it with iPods, but it's supposed to be compatible with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, too.
http://tunewear.com/ssr/

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
Here's a gadget with an audio line in for the iPhone.  It's supposed to be available in a few weeks for $250.
T+ for discovering new gear, flintstone. And it provides decent gain at least. But $249...  ::) I can get a UA-5>H120 combo for that money. Go figure...

"The iAI will include a measurement microphone" - Maybe if they unbundled the mic, they could hit a price that could appeal to iPhone tapers?! And you'll still need an external USB battery to schlep on:
"We have provided a USB port so that the iAI / device combination may be powered from an external source"

For the OP. There are two canonical threads on this topic.
Legacy thread (2008):
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=99817.0
Recent thread (2009):
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=118890.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:31:55 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »

This info might help you...

Here is is an adapter that provides Line-In via 1/8" to the Dock connector.  There are schematics online to make these, but at $39, I'll probably just buy one.  Note this is for the iPod. 

- I don't have an iPhone
- I assume the iPhone has pins for Line-In, but I don't know if they match the iPod

http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/connector.htm  (click on "iPod Line In/Out adapters")

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline skelly14120

• Taperssection Regular
  • My little buddy
    • Shows Recorded -incomplete
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
wouldnt the phone give off a shit load of noise when a text or call is comming in basically killing the recording
Open
At2021>Edirol R-44

Stealth

CA14>St9100 Ver 4.3>Edirol R-09HR

SBD
SBD >Tascam Dr07
SBD

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
wouldnt the phone give off a shit load of noise when a text or call is comming in basically killing the recording

I'm not a EE, but my gut (completely unscientific) tells me that any iPod/iPhone/iTouch is going to produce recordings inferior to most products made for the purpose.  Although, they are pretty stealth.  Maybe it's "just good enough" for some instances. 

Anyone ever tried?  Curious...

--Michael

Offline kdunne916

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
Finally, something I can help out with!

IMO, your answer is the Alesi Protrack.  Its available at B and H for only $149.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579664-REG/Alesis_PROTRACK_ProTrack_Handheld_Stereo_Audio.html

Let me tell you, I did a lot of research about recording to ipod/iphone and this is the best option for your money hands down.  You can plug the XLR's straight in to the device for sounboard recording, and you can just have that set of XLR's with the various adapters to allow for RCA patches, XLR male/female conversions, etc.  I've recorded several shows with this, I use the phantom power feature and it is my only piece of equipment, mics straight into the protrack sled ino the ipod.  Haven't done too much with the internal mics, but they sound about the same as any X-Y internal mics, nothing to write home about, but not terrible.

There are also a great deal of remote power options for the protrack.  If you are recording from the SBD aren't using the phantom power option, you can probably get 4 hours of recording from a set of 4 AAA's, so 2 sets should be more than enough for most shows.  However, you can't use AAA's and be able to phantom power, but you can easily buy a couple aligator clips at radioshack and wire them to a 2mm adapter tip with center positive and connect to a 6V lantern battery.  The Rayovac Ultra Heavy Duty model has gotten me over 20 hours of recording with phantom power for only $4.88.  If theres an outlet available, there's an AC adapter included obviously.

A few notes:
-The one drawback ive experienced is the safety of the dock connection to the ipod/iphone.  Without the right thickness foam on the sled, it is easy for the device you are using to come loose from the connector, and from there on youre recording is all static (it sucks...).  However, once i got the right thickness foam, I haven't had any problems, no static whatsoever.
-To record on the iPhone, youll need to get this program ($2 i think):
http://www.iprorecorder.com/
-Idk if you can make your phone be on an "airplane mode", but i'd do some research to see if you can because its really annoying to receive texts, NEVER have your phone on vibrate if you can't turn the ring off, it will come out of the sled on the first ring
-Recordings are about 2 gigs for a 4 hour show so make sure your iphone will be big enough

PM me if you want any more info.  I'm probably one of the only people here using an ipod and its for budget reasons, but theres no need to compromise, this thing is definitely the best of the best for ipods/iphones

"Someday you'll C-2"

Offline sunjan

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:40:10 AM »
IMO, your answer is the Alesis Protrack.  Its available at B and H for only $149.

Let me tell you, I did a lot of research about recording to ipod/iphone and this is the best option for your money hands down. 

-To record on the iPhone, youll need to get this program ($2 i think):
http://www.iprorecorder.com/

I'm probably one of the only people here using an ipod and its for budget reasons, but theres no need to compromise, this thing is definitely the best of the best for ipods/iphones

+T for the research, good post! Nice to see that the price has come down on the Protrack.
Did you see the frequency plot comparison that I posted earlier?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=118890.msg1727066#msg1727066

Note that the sound is even better on the Tunewear and Logitec adapters (although they're lacking XLR inputs of course...)

Regarding software, I believe that Audiofile FiRe is a better deal. The GUI has detailed level meters, and gives a more professional impression. There is even a freeware version out.

I can see the point of the Alesis Protrack if you have very specific and limited demands: you need a stealthable 16bit recorder with phantom XLRs, and have only $150 to spend.
Those with a bigger budget would find that 24bit device is better value (H4 for $220, H4N for $270, DR-100 for $300...)
Or if you opt-out of the XLRs, get a DR-07 for $130 which still probably makes better recordings at the end of the day.  :)

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
Hello:

I have tested this and it also works (apparently, not supposed to, though):

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/BEL-TUNETALK

It works fine on my 3Gs phone with FiRE

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
sales@soundprofessionals.com
www.soundprofessionals.com
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd
Hainesport NJ, 08036
800-213-3021
609-267-4400
609-267-0054 fax

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:07:06 AM »
So can the iPhone be used as a straight bit bucket, taking a 1644 digital signal? It would be great to use the secondary digi out from the ad2k > iPhone as backup...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »
I can see the point of the Alesis Protrack if you have very specific and limited demands: you need a stealthable 16bit recorder with phantom XLRs, and have only $150 to spend.
Those with a bigger budget would find that 24bit device is better value (H4 for $220, H4N for $270, DR-100 for $300...)
Or if you opt-out of the XLRs, get a DR-07 for $130 which still probably makes better recordings at the end of the day.  :)

I would rule out the H4 as well as the iphone. The H4 is unintuitive to use, is noisy when using phantom power with many (most?) mics & has a number of other issues. The H4N and DR-100 would be better choices, but I would go with the DR-07, battery box and Church Audio mics for easy portability, good battery life and, as sunjan says, probably better recordings.

Just because people already have iphones or ipods, why they want to buy adapters to make mediocre recorders out of them is puzzling to me. The very reasonable DR-07 would be a much better choice for those on a budget.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »
Just because people already have iphones or ipods, why they want to buy adapters to make mediocre recorders out of them is puzzling to me. The very reasonable DR-07 would be a much better choice for those on a budget.

Totally agree for those on a budget, these Apple products should be sub-par.  But, to quell the "puzzling", for me it's fun to look for alternative uses for everyday things.  Now, using an iPod to record a concert by loading another OS on it and building a Line-In connector will certainly not qualify to be on the cover of Make magazine - but, fun afternoon project nonetheless.  Since I haven't actually done it yet, I still wonder if the audio produced  in this set up would come close to something like a D8 @ 16/44.1.  If it did, well, that might be just good enough for some situations (a backup to my backup).

--Michael

Offline sunjan

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »
So can the iPhone be used as a straight bit bucket, taking a 1644 digital signal? It would be great to use the secondary digi out from the ad2k > iPhone as backup...

To clarify: no, not as we know it today.
All adapters mentioned in this thread have analog-in only.
AFAIU, the iphone/ipod is being fed an analog signal, and the AD conversion is done internally.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any pin on the Apple dock connector interface that would carry the SPDIF stream.

@Michael: like a D8, but without mic-in w/ PIP and probably not as good AD.

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any pin on the Apple dock connector interface that would carry the SPDIF stream.

@Michael: like a D8, but without mic-in w/ PIP and probably not as good AD.

There looks to be 30 pins on an iPod Dock connector, and none are S/PDIF:

http://ipodlinux.org/wiki/Dock_Connector

If I get around to making my own connector, or buying one pre-made, I'll do a quick test of running a CA9100 into the iPod vs R-09HR vs. D8 on line-in (all 16/44.1). 

--Michael 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com