Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you face mics out to the sides (facing more audience noise?) or toward front?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline TaperedMind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
- one might assume you are asking if one runs in a stereo pattern (aka Stereo Array)
or you PATS ( Point At the Stacks)

like OOK stated
read all those links.

before I knew anything about any kind of patterns or arrays- I ran PATS- however I ran cards (Toa K1's ) spaced about 24"  back in the section- at Grateful Dead Shows in starting in 1986.

heck that was before I knew I could even get a patch at shows- all I knew is I needed some mics and a tall stand!

I experimented with 90° both cross Coincident ( on vertical axis) & Near Coincident( spaced but close)- I didn't like the narrow stereo image - even onstage-
ran a modified ORTF  pattern which was crossed R / L

and today usally run either DINa (17cm @ 90°) or ORTF (110° @ 17cm) - I like the stereo image of these arrays
but I run Cardiods- I like the way they sound-  not a fan of hypers- however A niece spaced omni pair is great
or a totally natural  sound from a blumlien pair is awesome.

you'll figure out what you like
and perhaps get many many opinions
check out Archive . org (Live Music Archive) for some ideas of what different patterns and mics can sound like.

peace
--Ian
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:33:08 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Well, there's some enginered ways to do it.  Being more of a hobbyist doing an audience perspective capture, I tend towards the group.  If the group is in a semi circle of acoustic performers (un-amped / no stacks).  I tend towards > 1/4 in from the end, but < 1/3 in from the end.  Generally speaking there's 4 voices in my groups and that puts the mics pointed at the break between sections, ignoring the one down the center.  If I'm too far from the group then I just point them both parallel and at the group.  As best as can be determined through thick windscreens anyway.

If you have a more commercial interest, you're probably better off sticking with the engineered ways (ORTF, X/Y, M/S, .......).  As those might lend themselves better to being mixed to mono (AM Radio / TV) and other processing effects commonly done for broadcasts.  Although I'm sure this subject has been discussed before in greater detail than I could offer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com