Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some help clearing up a recording..  (Read 2550 times)

cotis

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some help clearing up a recording..
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
video taped a gig last night with my Canon HG21 and apparently my audio levels were too high, forcing my recording to become muffled and very bad...

here is a link to the audio:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z9581R13

was wondering if anyone would be able to help me clear it up at all, if you can help and stuff I can provide the whole audio for you to work on.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Need some help clearing up a recording..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
I have CEP with clip restoration feature sometimes working well enough to make stuff listenable.  Program needs very squared off clipping to work well.  Downloading your sample now and will let you know with sample of a restoration if having any luck.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

cotis

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
I have CEP with clip restoration feature sometimes working well enough to make stuff listenable.  Program needs very squared off clipping to work well.  Downloading your sample now and will let you know with sample of a restoration if having any luck.

It's listenable, I'm just overly critical of my own stuff -- as I'm sure you can understand.

Just want to make it, MORE listenable.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 05:49:19 PM »
No luck with CEP as clipping is non-squared soft type looking more like regular unclipped signal. 

While some might find this recording listenable, I find it too horribly distorted to hear more than a few seconds, but that's my ears for ya!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

cotis

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
No luck with CEP as clipping is non-squared soft type looking more like regular unclipped signal. 

While some might find this recording listenable, I find it too horribly distorted to hear more than a few seconds, but that's my ears for ya!

Yeah, well with the camcorder levels being too high that's what I've got to deal with!

Anything else you can suggest?

Thanks for (attempting to) help!

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:30:26 AM »
Use an external recorder?  Double the odds that one might be usable.

Clipping is pretty hard to undo.  An external recorder might also give you some limiter options to prevent clipping.  But after the fact, you really can't do much.  Depending on what is clipping anyway.  Low rumble of pure wind noise and you can filter some of that out.  Maybe even intentionally clip some more to push it out and the subject matter up.  Low pass filter, High pass filter, not really ideal for music sources, but for talking heads it can make an instruction video audible / listenable.

Having downloaded it now.  That sounds more like distortion than clipping.  Maybe even wind noise if your cam was close to a PA or something.  Not much to be done about that IMO.  Was anyone else there recording that might have better audio that you could swap out for yours?

cotis

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »
Likely not, it was a really small show (about 200 people) and it was all thrown together last mionute. Plus not many people (if any) record this band.

I've got an external recorder but as I said it was all last minute I just grabbed my camcorder and got a train.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
enjoy the video--without audio.  :P
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

cotis

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
LOL, THANKS!  ::)

Now anyone else not want to boost their post count and offer some other words of advice? Someone mentioned a "dual 31 band EQ" but I've got no idea.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com