Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Questions regarding TASCAM DR-07, mics and cheap equip  (Read 4010 times)

Offline mikebert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Questions regarding TASCAM DR-07, mics and cheap equip
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
Hello audio-gurus!
I'm currently researching recording equipment and I'm curious about "better" preferably cheaper equipment. I'm seeing Simon & Garfunkel play here (they'll likely never come back) so I wanted to tape it using cheaper, but good gear.
I was looking at the TASCAM DR-07, but was unsure of what type of microphone to use. Can anyone comment on the TASCAM DR-07's sound quality? is it good enough to just use the internal mic, or would you guys recommend an external mic (itll be loud and its a large venue, so im assuming an external mic)? Unfortunately the SP mics are just too expensive (to me anyways).
The venue is a large arena, ill be situated far away from the stage and soundboard (i'd like to try and get decent-great sound quality, but i'll settle for whatever my wallet can handle) i'll be on the 3rd balcony. Didn't really want to spend over 200 on this project since it'll likely be my first recording (could be the last if i get caught ;) ).
Any recommendations for cheaper recording gear? Comments on the DR-07? My apologies if this has already been posted in the past

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:51:36 PM by mikebert »

dorrcoq

Re: Questions regarding TASCAM DR-07, mics and cheap equip
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:30 PM »
I'm seeing Simon & Garfunkel play here...itll be loud

Really?  Why would you think that?

Offline mikebert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
I'm seeing Simon & Garfunkel play here...itll be loud

Really?  Why would you think that?

It'll be a sold out arena and they'll have a band behind them, how wouldn't it be loud? Maybe your definition of loud is different than mine, no need to be rude about it. Just asking for some advice on equipment, can you at least comment on that?

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »
He is not being rude at all.  On the scale of loud shows S & G are not very loud at all.

From that far back I'd be more worried about the sing alongs.  In a big arena you my find a set of repeaters way back towards the corners and tape in front of them to try and get a stack type of recording.   At the price point you mentioned it will be a struggle to pull a good recording from behind the SBD.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:54:37 PM by kirkd »

Offline mikebert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »
He is not being rude at all.  On the scale of loud shows S & G are not very loud at all.

From that far back I'd be more worried about the sing alongs.  In a big arena you my find a set of repeaters way back towards the corners and tape in front of them to try and get a stack type of recording.   At the price point you mentioned it will be a struggle to pull a good recording from behind the SBD.

It came off as rude - but I see what you mean.
I appreciate the information and you've confirmed my fear of picking up more background noise since im so far away.
Thank you for the info - I'll probably skip recording this one and just enjoy the show.

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

It came off as rude - but I see what you mean.

No I have to really disagree.  dorrcoq  is not being rude.  Questioning your perception of things maybe, but that does not make it rude.  It is direct and to the point.   Anyway......

If you are interested in getting in to this hobby. Spend a few days searching and reading around the site. Then ask the questions you still have after that.  At the price point you are looking there are options, limited as they might be.   Good luck.  And my advice to you is don't take things quite so personally.  The search function is your friend

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
Yeah...not sure why you thought I was being rude.  If I'm going to be rude, believe me, you'll know it. ;D

Anyhow, there is an excellent chance someone else will record with better equipment and from a better spot, so just keep an eye out on torrent sites and you'll surely find a copy.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
Hello audio-gurus!
I'm currently researching recording equipment and I'm curious about "better" preferably cheaper equipment. I'm seeing Simon & Garfunkel play here (they'll likely never come back) so I wanted to tape it using cheaper, but good gear.
I was looking at the TASCAM DR-07, but was unsure of what type of microphone to use. Can anyone comment on the TASCAM DR-07's sound quality? is it good enough to just use the internal mic, or would you guys recommend an external mic (itll be loud and its a large venue, so im assuming an external mic)? Unfortunately the SP mics are just too expensive (to me anyways).
The venue is a large arena, ill be situated far away from the stage and soundboard (i'd like to try and get decent-great sound quality, but i'll settle for whatever my wallet can handle) i'll be on the 3rd balcony. Didn't really want to spend over 200 on this project since it'll likely be my first recording (could be the last if i get caught ;) ).
Any recommendations for cheaper recording gear? Comments on the DR-07? My apologies if this has already been posted in the past

Thank you!

To answer your original question, the DR-07 I believe is thought to be a fine piece of gear. However, I would not use it or any other recorder's internal mics to record music.  Some internal mics aren't that bad, but in the situation you are in, you need something a bit more specialized.

Sounds to me like based on where you'd be in the arena, you should skip taping.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
An audience recording won't be a studio recording. You'll hear people talking, singing along, coughing, etc. You can't talk, either. You need to think of the recording as a souvenir, not a polished audio masterpiece.

But a S&G audience is probably going to be older and relatively respectful, and S&G are probably going to be pretty persnickety about sound. So depending on your neighbors in the arena, you might get surprisingly good results. 

The post about "stack recording" means you should point the mics at the nearest speaker, not at the stage--your ears and eyes need different things.

With any modern digital recorder, the key is the quality of the mics. The recorder itself will do a superb reproduction of what goes into it. But the internal mics for the lower-priced recorders are likely to be geared for speech--a narrow frequency band--rather than music. 

You can get very passable results with the Sound Professionals BMC-2 microphones, which are the size of pencil erasers.

Get them with clips, clip them on your (black for camouflage) shirt collar about as far apart as your ears, check the recording level on the opening act and give it a try. The BMC-2 are omnidirectional, like your ears, and if you clip them to your collar you can have one pointed left and one pointed right, also like your ears. It's not going to sound like "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme" but you'll have a nice concert memory, assuming you don't have someone chattering away nearby. 

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:08 AM »
I appreciate the information and you've confirmed my fear of picking up more background noise since im so far away.
Thank you for the info - I'll probably skip recording this one and just enjoy the show.

I'd still tape it, just for the heck of it. A half-decent pull is better than no pull at all.

BTW, the internal mics of the DR-07 are cards - which is a good thing:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132695.msg1740740#msg1740740
That means, as long as you're able to point the mics towards the stacks, you will limit the amount of chatter.

Depending on your location, I'd reckon that this might even being a better option than running external omnis (binaurals).

There's another thread on the very same topic here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133609.0;topicseen

Otherwise, check in at the gear lonaer program + your local team board here, and try to borrow some external mics from a fellow tapers. A Church combo would be ideal.

If you decide you want to go for some rock-bottom budget externals, I just spotted these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270484548321
$37 for the mics, and another $30 or so for the bbox... Can't vouch for the quality though.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
If you decide you want to go for some rock-bottom budget externals, I just spotted these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270484548321
$37 for the mics, and another $30 or so for the bbox... Can't vouch for the quality though.

Those eBay mics have a frequency range of 50-18,000. BMC-2 go 20-20,000, so they'd have a fuller bass.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Hello audio-gurus!

Thank you!

Cheap but good? That's a tough one....... Good and inexpensive well that's another story :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com