Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Open Mounting options for CA-14 cards  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
Open Mounting options for CA-14 cards
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
What are some ways to people are running the CA-14 cards in open situations.   My buddy is wanting to get into taping, but not ready to take the total financial plunge.  So i picked up a small rig for him that will i believe get him good bang for the bucks... CA-14 (c)>CA-9100>R09hr.  He will mainly be using this for open recording situations and likes to boogie, so clipping to hat or any part of his body is out of the question.

all suggestions and experiences welcome
thanks friends
adam
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Open Mounting options for CA-14 cards
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
Sound Professionals makes a nice T-mount, which is flexible, that the mics can slide into securely.  Would need to obtain a stand or have a clamp configuration to a rail.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Soling

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:26 PM »
Kwon or Nola Bar > Shure a53m or Busman mount or Schoeps a20.  Mount will run more than the mics unless he borrows the above from you  :D

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »
I run AT853's, so very similar size to the CA mics I think.  I drafted differnt mic patterns in Microstation using cPVC pipe and fittings.  I then printed them to scale 1:1 and made myself some nice cheap mic bars.  I made up DIN-A, DIN, NOS, and ORTF.  I scuffed the surface and painted them matte black.  I think took a 1/2" diameter drill and drilled through the ends of the pipe perpendicular.  That way I can run my mic cables back through the bar and down onto the stand.  I had to shim the inside of the cPVC pipe with some self adhering felt to make the mic body fit snuggly into the end of the pipe.  I then insert the bar into a shock mount and I am ready to go.  It almost looks like i knew what I was doing.

Very cheap to make.  I think I have less than $5 in all of the bars I made.  Very light weight too. 

I have attached a PDF of a couple of the patterns I used.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:37:20 AM by 3-Fan »
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
I came up with what I think is a pretty good mounting option...  I'll post pics tonight.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:30:20 AM »
CA-14card (DINa) + CA-14omni (Healy)

I wrapped about a 3/8" thickness of gaffers tape on the area that you would normally attach a clip.  That made the mounting area of the mics the proper size for the clips that I'm using.  The mics are mounted with "Kwik Clips" cable ties that are adhered to a flat T-bar which is mounted in a Shure Donut.  Fixed positions...  but with this set up,  I can attach a couple of more clips to the underside of the t-bar which would give me another set of options.  I leave em mounted, take em out the case in my bag...  put em on my stand with the quick release...   hit record.  Works pretty well IMO. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:24:12 AM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Tedley

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
I want to DIY some cpvc mic bars. Looking at a few drawings of the measurements, I see the distance between the mic capsules drawn center to center as well as edge to edge. My question is which is correct? Example: DIN the distance is 20cm. Is this measured from center to center of capsule or edge to edge?

Offline absnj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
MY CA-14's have alligator clips, which works great since I mostly tape undercover.  Since I want to try open-taping, this thread got me inspired.  The PVC option does not work so well with the clips, so I borrowed an idea from my friend Ernie, who made a bar from a plastic ruler.

I took a 12 inch stainless steel ruler (I sell them at work), cut it in half, cut the ends at 45 degrees.  I notched the ends to keep the mics from moving around, since the clips don't grip the ruler all that staedily.  My stand has a 1/4 inch stud, so I drilled a 1/4 inch hole through both pieces to mount it with DIN dimensions using a wing nut.  Since there are two pieces, I can drill another set of holes for DIN-A and if I have enough length, for ORTF.  The two pieces can swing separately, for different mounting angles.

Other than for appearance, is there any reason to paint the mount?  I was also wondering if a shock mount might be necessary?  If the size is right, the bar can be mounted in a single shock and then the shock attached to the stand with a 5/8 adapter.  Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »
Nice practical job with the ruler Alan.

As far as "do I need shock mounts?"  Fire up the rig, trip over the stand like a drunken wookie and see how it shows up on your recording.  Some mics I never seem to need shock mounts, other ones seem to pick it up.  From what I remember from using Church Audio mics they don't seem to be bothered by it. If you need some vibration protection it may be as simple as adding some rubber washers from the hardware store where it screws onto the stand, or use a piece of stuff rubber (car muffler hanger) in place of the ruler.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »
LOVE IT! WELL DONE WITH THE RULER.  I AM FEELING CREATIVE NOW
A
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »

I was also wondering if a shock mount might be necessary? 

I clip my CA-14s to a ruler as well. I mounted the ruler directly to the top of the stand. Stand bumps sounded terrible. So I made a shockmount from a small cross-stitch hoop, a thumb screw, a threaded rod connector, and some of my daughter's ponytail holders (it still has the original rubber bands in these pics). It has taken some pretty good wookie bumps without a problem. I used a 3/8-16 rod connector because that's what's on top of my stand. Add a 3/8-16 to 5/8-27 adapter and it's pretty versatile.

Here it is flying, attached to a DIY 3 foot split omni bar with CA-14 omnis:

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline absnj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the cross stitch idea!!!  I found a couple of them at a local Michael's craft store for $1.50 each... now to make ém work

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
Adding to the thoughts here: 

you can grind a notch in those all thread nut connectors so they will lock right into a super clamp socket. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com