Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MIC SET UP MEASUREMENTS  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Tedley

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MIC SET UP MEASUREMENTS
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
I asked this question in Micrphones & Set ups, but may not be seen there very much. I want to know where the measurement point is on mic capsules for mic set up. Example: DIN requires a 20cm distance between mics. Is this measurement taken from the inner edge of the capsules or the center point? I have seen drawings showing each.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: MIC SET UP MEASUREMENTS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
center
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
Agreed, center.

But unless you are really close to the sound source, it will probably not make much difference.  Assuming you are using SDC mics that have a diaphragm diameter of about 2 cm, the mics spacing would change by only 2 cm measured edge vs center.  I don't think I could hear a difference between those spacings if the sound source is more than a couple of meters away in a non anechoic room.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
You measure from the centre of the capsule - NB: *not* the end of the mic.

So you need to know how far back the capsule is set.

On most mics it is pretty close to the end, but on some, interference tube especially, the capsule can actually be set quite far back.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »
^ Right...and while I do agree with an earlier commenter than it isn't necessarily a critical measurement, I figure that if you're measuring, you might as well do it right.  I also think that, the more recording I do, that getting repeatability in my setup is worthy of bothering with.  It's for this reason that I've been paying more and more attention to the Stereophonic Zoom article and evaluating my sound results with respect to the details in the article.  The more recording I do, the more I respect what that article is saying.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com