Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FR-2LE - PMD671 opinions  (Read 5677 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
FR-2LE - PMD671 opinions
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
I am reconsidering my choice of either a Fostex FR-2LE or Marantz PMD671.
I had settled on the FR-2LE because of low noise and dynamic range.
Either unit is within my budget.

(wtd/unwtd)

Fostex FR-2LE         -129dBu/-125dBu     84dB

Marantz PMD671    -125dBu/-123dBu     75dB

I'm reconsidering because the 671 has spdif in/out which expands my capabilities if I carry my A/D interface.
(I also have a MicroTrak II which I could use as a bitbucket.) :o
My question now is how audible will the 2-4 dB of noise be?
How much difference will I hear in the 9dB of dynamic range?

I'm trying to create a low to moderate cost all-in-one kit for nature recording and acoustic recording of classical & jazz.
(not for profit, just my own enjoyment)

So, I'd appreciate comments and opinions from anyone that has used these or switched from one to the other.

Thanks
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: FR-2LE - PMD671 opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
Nature recordists need very low noise preamps and microphones.  Here is a chart prepared by a company selling to that market that you may fine helpful.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

See also:

http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm

Note that part of the the lower dynamic range of the PMD671 relative to the FR-2LE comes from the slightly lower 0 dBFS level of the PMD671.

I once owned and have used the FR-2LE for recording Classical music, and preamp noise was never an issue.  Note however, the headphone output on this unit is noisy which is disconcerting until you get to know the recorder.

I've never use the PMD671 but I doubt noise would be an issue with it either.

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
Nature recordists need very low noise preamps and microphones.  Here is a chart prepared by a company selling to that market that you may fine helpful.

http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

See also:

http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm

Note that part of the the lower dynamic range of the PMD671 relative to the FR-2LE comes from the slightly lower 0 dBFS level of the PMD671.

I once owned and have used the FR-2LE for recording Classical music, and preamp noise was never an issue.  Note however, the headphone output on this unit is noisy which is disconcerting until you get to know the recorder.

I've never use the PMD671 but I doubt noise would be an issue with it either.

Thanks.  I've been referring to the avisoft specs for a while.
You've given me exactly the info I've been looking for.
I doubted that the noise level differences would be significant.
The spdif in/out of the 671 are becoming more attractive.

Thanks
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:11:42 AM »
I hate my FR2-LE for many reasons (battery system, headphone amp, can't delete single tracks, not enough gain to suit me).

From what I read here, if you can live with optical in, the Marantz PDM-661 is a much more convenient recorder to use (as well as cheaper) than the 671. If you probably won't use digi-in often, I would definitely get the 661 rather than the 671.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:14:04 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
From what I read here, if you can live with optical in, the Marantz PDM-661 is a much more convenient recorder to use (as well as cheaper) than the 671. If you probably won't use digi-in often, I would definitely get the 661 rather than the 671.

FYI, the Marantz PMD-661 has a coax S/PDIF input, NOT optical.  You are probably thinking of the Sony PCM-D50, which has an optical input.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:08 AM »
Thanks, Jason-my mistake.

Then I really see no reason to get a 671 instead of a 661.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline gatorglenn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:55:21 PM »
"I hate my FR2-LE for many reasons (battery system, headphone amp, can't delete single tracks, not enough gain to suit me)."

Send it to me and I will take care of it.   :)

Glenn

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:22:10 AM »
I love my FR-2LE. I think i would only trade it in for something with more channels or if i wasn't going to open tape anymore.

Edit: But i can't really answer your question on if you will hear a difference or not

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
"I hate my FR2-LE for many reasons (battery system, headphone amp, can't delete single tracks, not enough gain to suit me)."

Glenn

I would like to get rid of it if someone would buy it, but you wouldn't want it unless I gave it to you for free. When I first got it, every recording was marred by frequent clicks no no matter what card I used. I finally sent it back to Busman (it has his original mod, whatever one that was) and he finally returned it in 2 months or so with no comment. I tested it once and I think he fixed the problem, but he left a broken piece of plastic or screw rattling around inside that I can't get out that drove me crazy (I can't figure out how to take it completely apart). Again, I'm in the minority having a bad experience with Busman.

Offline gatorglenn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:48:47 PM »
Hi,

Did you list it for sale? I'm sure if the price is right you could sell it. I might even be interested.

I am sorry to hear that you have not liked it and had problems. I m not familiar with the Busman mods but it does not seem to have helped in your case.

Glenn

Glenn

I would like to get rid of it if someone would buy it, but you wouldn't want it unless I gave it to you for free. When I first got it, every recording was marred by frequent clicks no no matter what card I used. I finally sent it back to Busman (it has his original mod, whatever one that was) and he finally returned it in 2 months or so with no comment. I tested it once and I think he fixed the problem, but he left a broken piece of plastic or screw rattling around inside that I can't get out that drove me crazy (I can't figure out how to take it completely apart). Again, I'm in the minority having a bad experience with Busman.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »
I ran a 671 for a little while and loved the unit.  Very easy to use and has a great interface.  Its S/PDIF coaxial input was a major feature for me, as I originally envisioned using an external A/D with it.  After a little experimentation, I realized that the internal A/D in the unit was so good that I really didn't need an external A/D.

I don't know if the 671 and the 661 have the same A/D or preamplifier circuits, but if they do, you may be better served with the 661, as you won't really need an external unit.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com