Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CLAMP.  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
CLAMP.
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »
Ok so admittedly I just embaressed the shit out of myself. But I managed....haha. *skip past the story if you like*

Basically, I'm at a Seawolf show. Because it's a stupid museum, they barred my stand. Not such a big deal, I have 2 squeeze clamps with me, right? Check.

So I go to clamp for the opener and mid way through the soundboard eq I'm clamped to crashes to the floor. So trash that recording, shit.

I say fuck it and run upstairs between sets...there's a rail up there. Try to use my squeeze clamp again on a rail and it decides the rail is just slightly too large and doesn't want to grip (but rather shoot off into the ether). Tried for like 20 mins to get it clamped and finally just, yet again, said fuck it and dropped the clamp and literally taped it to the floor, on the edge.

So I'm getting a recording but....Jesus, never again.

-----> What is the clamp you all use? Superclamp or something? And where can I purchase one asap?

Argh....sorry needed to vent. Feel free to moderate my post. :P
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
Re: CLAMP.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »
To respond to my own topic *shiver* I'll say I found it, mostly.

Manfrotto Super Clamp, yeah? Now...which model, and how can I get one to Riverside, CA by Tuesday afternoon? :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:14 AM »
SuperClamp and Quick Release clamp are popular.  Some discussions involving them here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.0;all
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=120198.0
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »

Manfrotto Super Clamp, yeah? Now...which model, and how can I get one to Riverside, CA by Tuesday afternoon? :)

Buy a Super Clamp at your local camera shop if you need it by Tuesday. Most camera stores carry them.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:47 AM »
I've yet to fins anything the quick release c clamp can't attach to

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252212-REG/Manfrotto_649_649_Quick_Action_Release.html

the super clamp I've had trouble getting on this tables and larger bars so I carry them just about exclusively to clamp to Ibeams and thin stuff anymore.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
^^ Depends how you are running.  I clamp most of the time rather than using a stand, and I use both the Manfrotto quick release and the super depending on the situation.  For a horizontal surface (e.g., tabletop) the quick release is much better.  For a vertical surface (e.g., a post), I like to use the superclamp, then run an extension bar out of it.  Sometimes I attach a Manfrotto 099B 7' pole to that and have a lot of height and nothing on the floor.  Or I just run the mics right off of the extension. 

Generally if I can find a vertical surface I prefer that as I find it a little easier to adjust the alignment of the mics that way.  But this comes with knowing your venues.

Also, I should add, for the OP's benefit, make sure you are careful with clamps in general (your post makes it sound like the thing went flying "into the ether" from a balcony rail into the crowd, but maybe I read it wrong).  If you aren't, you could injure somebody, not to mention your gear or somebody else's gear, by not being sure the clamp is firm.  When I am in any situation where there is even a chance the clamp could fall and hurt somebody or something, I also try to use a DJ safety cable. Venues seem to appreciate that.  Just a thought.  Good luck - I find clamping a lot more hassle-free than guarding a stand, despite being a little tougher to set up sometimes.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »

I don't like the quick release edition of the super for heavy stuff. Something wigs me out about it, but supposidly it's rated for the same load. //superstitious.

I carry a Superclamp, a Nano, and I'm looking at getting a table-compatable (c-style) clamp, but I've been using the super with relative success thus far.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »

this is NOT the 'quick release' and I prefer this kind.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. I was trying to clamp to an inch wide square bar. There was also a 3 inch or so one but nope. The small one was too small and the big one was too big.

I'm thinking I could get one from somewhere around here or fabricate a temp one by tomorrow. Just need something good to hold my Church cards, nothing that special just yet.

@acidjack - that's a good idea. You're right; it shot straight horizontal before my mic cable stopped it (ooooouuch). I caught it but like I said never again so I've gotta get a normal clamp.
Team SoCal

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
I use the MSC (as pictured above) with the 203 Mini-Extension Arm...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »
So I went shopping today. I think I've found the Super Clamp that seems so popular.

It seems like this is the same one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018LQVIA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=055RQ0EJ8ZY8G7K4MGKE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

I had them put the last one on hold for me. Ritz Camera, it's about $34 so I figure it's not too much more expensive than normal.

Does this seem right? And what's that stud thing it comes with useful for? (I'm still sorta a noob, I know).
Team SoCal

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
that is the one I linked you to but you paid a little more than b&h sells it for.

Stud thing is helpful to screw things into. usually these clamps are used for photography so I imaging a good use would be using it for a ball head. for us, if you get the manafretto extension pole, the opening at the bottom may fit over it and allow you to mount your mics onto of the manafretto extension pole.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
that is the one I linked you to but you paid a little more than b&h sells it for.

Stud thing is helpful to screw things into. usually these clamps are used for photography so I imaging a good use would be using it for a ball head. for us, if you get the manafretto extension pole, the opening at the bottom may fit over it and allow you to mount your mics onto of the manafretto extension pole.

Get an rapid adaptor, then it becomes really useful. I use it to get tight screws which don't correlate to the natural threading, I use it to change angles, all sorts of stuff. One of the great benefits is it allows you to standardize a lot of your gear to 3/8th-16 thread so stuff becomes mix/match compatible.

I actually carry two adaptors with me, I use them more then I do my superclamp anymore.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

Get an rapid adaptor, then it becomes really useful. I use it to get tight screws which don't correlate to the natural threading, I use it to change angles, all sorts of stuff. One of the great benefits is it allows you to standardize a lot of your gear to 3/8th-16 thread so stuff becomes mix/match compatible.

I actually carry two adaptors with me, I use them more then I do my superclamp anymore.

rastasean -- I usually would mind [paying a little more] but it was their last one and I physically have it in hand (well, clamped various places at the moment :P) so it's worth it this time. This way I don't have to worry about having it in time for this show on the 27th.
I got the stud thing figured out, really easy to use actually. I knew it was for screwing things on :P that hex end from the picture confused me but now I see how to use it.

page -- Where can I find this? Sounds useful

I got it connected to my.....bar.....but an extension arm would be helpful. Is the 203 the de-facto one thus far?
Team SoCal

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
if you have a super clamp and a rowi 103 you can clamp in about 95% of all situations
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 02:32:10 AM »
if you have a super clamp and a rowi 103 you can clamp in about 95% of all situations

kangfirmed.

rowi clones as well, but I still agree.

page -- Where can I find this? Sounds useful

http://www.google.com/search?q=014-38%20manfrotto&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I thought I'd pasted the link, my bad.

Essentially, any stud that is over 3/8ths or bigger up to 5/8" can be supported which is essentially most of bogen/manfrotto's attachment line. You can get adaptors in 3/8th-16 thread which is useful for euro mic thread shockmount/tbar systems or get a bushing to go 3/8>5/8th-36 thread or whatever "USA Mic thread" is, or 1/4"-20 thread (no audio use that I can garner unless you are doing camera work). The search above is the 3/8th model.

I've got all sorts of manfrotto gear, virtually something for every connecting situation. There was a period of time that I might as well have had a corporate account with B&H...

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 05:16:23 AM »
I'm learning to not start new threats for info and I need a clamp and the super clamp looks good, SO:

You just get the right attachment to accept your normal mount and you're good to go for whatever surfaces it will hold steady to?

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks for this thread! I just ordered the Superclamp and the 203 extension. I've never clamped a balcony rail before so hopefully this works out.

From the pic on Adorama it looks like the 203 extension comes with a stud but I can't tell whether it's 1/4" or 3/8". Which is it?

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks once again...looks to be rain at a show I'm going to and I'm gonna use the clamp to clamp an umbrella to my stand.

I could also use the extension arm though. So is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6C8?ie=UTF8&tag=wareit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00009R6C8

the one? Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4HTDY?ie=UTF8&tag=wareit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001M4HTDY

? Thanks everyone!
Team SoCal

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
I just wanted to say thanks once again...looks to be rain at a show I'm going to and I'm gonna use the clamp to clamp an umbrella to my stand.

I use an umbrella from ted gakidis which comes with a 3/8th thread > Rapid Adaptor > stud > superclamp.

(told ya I use the RAs a lot)

If you want extra distance from the stand, then yes, what you're proposing would work. Just make sure to measure the 7+ inches that you will be departing the stand from to make sure you mics will still be under the umbrella.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
for clamping an umbrella to a stand I use a Latin Percussion Claw. Toss the cowbell mount, and add a kids umbrella from Taget or Wally world....

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Claws_and_Brackets/lp_percussion_claw.html

I'll add photos later if need be...

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »

I could also use the extension arm though. So is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6C8?ie=UTF8&tag=wareit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00009R6C8

the one? Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4HTDY?ie=UTF8&tag=wareit-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001M4HTDY

? Thanks everyone!

Both will work.  Check the spec because it appears one's a bit longer than the other but that's the only difference.

Great clamp and extension arm.  Heavy, though.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com