Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Foam Safe for Mics?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Foam Safe for Mics?
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
Are there any precautions that need to be taken with any kind of foam in contact with mics or any other accessories?  I recently found the perfect-sized box in which to store my mics inside my gear bag and plan on cutting some foam to fit it, and then cutting out some slots to hold the mics (KM140s).  I have some nice foam that came inside some Western Digital hard drive boxes, but the drives were in their own antistatic baggies.  Is this foam likely to be fine to use, or is the foam used in Pelican cases, etc., a special foam suitable for electronics?
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Foam Safe for Mics?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:58:41 PM »
Are there any precautions that need to be taken with any kind of foam in contact with mics or any other accessories?  I recently found the perfect-sized box in which to store my mics inside my gear bag and plan on cutting some foam to fit it, and then cutting out some slots to hold the mics (KM140s).  I have some nice foam that came inside some Western Digital hard drive boxes, but the drives were in their own antistatic baggies.  Is this foam likely to be fine to use, or is the foam used in Pelican cases, etc., a special foam suitable for electronics?

get anti-static foam and trash the stuff from the hdd boxes. I don't remember the technical term for it, but there is foam that doesn't build or retain a charge. Paging tgakidis...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:15:04 AM »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »
I'll plead ignorant agnosticism on the static issue, but what I can tell you from bitter experience is that foam breaks down over time (10+ years) and becomes an extremely sticky goo which can ruin the finish of whatever metal objects you may have stored in it.

Also, I've heard (but not seen) that before the meltdown stage is reached, the foam can give off tiny particles of itself, which could settle on the membrane(s) of a microphone--particularly given that condenser microphones work on the same principle as electrostatic air cleaners.

So don't store anything in a foam-lined case long-term, or at least wrap your anything in a plastic bag inside the case.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »
I put mics in ziplocks with small desicant packs thrown in for good measure before storing in the typical cut-foam or pick&pluck foam padded cases.  Cheap insurance against moisture and potential foam rot.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »
Alternate tack is to cut foam to fit, with a bit of extra room, then spray a thin layer of 3M adhesive on the foam (or on the lining material, or both) and line with synthetic suede or velvet material so foam never contacts your gear.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »
I put mics in ziplocks with small desicant packs thrown in for good measure before storing in the typical cut-foam or pick&pluck foam padded cases.  Cheap insurance against moisture and potential foam rot.
^
+T - Excellent suggestion.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
So I ended up placing an order for the CD30 foam from http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html.  They had a minimum order of some strange amount (around $13, but not exactly), so I ended up getting more foam than I need.  With the ridiculous shipping charges, I paid $26.47 for 6 pieces of foam, each 8 inches square and 2 inches thick.  I think I can use 3 of them, but would be willing to sell the other 3 if anybody is interested.  They're $4.41 plus shipping/paypal each.  I imagine it'll cost a couple of bucks at least to ship each of them.  Obviously, all 3 could probably be shipped for significantly less than 3 times the cost to ship one.

If anyone is interested, speak up and I'll dig around for the best/cheapest way to ship them.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
Dumb question, but I assume all of the above concerns apply to the foam inside of a cigar caddy as well?  Meaning I should probably go the Ziploc + caddy route in the future?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
So I ended up placing an order for the CD30 foam from http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html.  They had a minimum order of some strange amount (around $13, but not exactly), so I ended up getting more foam than I need.  With the ridiculous shipping charges, I paid $26.47 for 6 pieces of foam, each 8 inches square and 2 inches thick.  I think I can use 3 of them, but would be willing to sell the other 3 if anybody is interested.  They're $4.41 plus shipping/paypal each.  I imagine it'll cost a couple of bucks at least to ship each of them.  Obviously, all 3 could probably be shipped for significantly less than 3 times the cost to ship one.

If anyone is interested, speak up and I'll dig around for the best/cheapest way to ship them.

I'm interested! What are you putting your mics in? I've got some pelican case to store mine in, maybe the 1060 series.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm interested! What are you putting your mics in? I've got some pelican case to store mine in, maybe the 1060 series.

How many of them do you want?

After looking all over the place, I finally found something that is exactly the size that I was looking for.  It's a plastic sandwich container, which set me back $1.50 at Wal Mart.  It's literally the shape and size of a piece of bread, and about 1.5 inches thick.  I wouldn't transport the mics around in it by itself, but it's perfect for inside my Nova bag and is a huge space saver over the cheap Sound Professionals case I'm using now (which is about twice the size).  Now I just need to figure out how to best cut the foam to fit.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
For my church mics, I found something very similar to what you're describing work quite well. I don't use any foam/padding in it since its so small and it would probably end up getting in the way.

For my SDC mics, I like the pelican 1060. I would only need one piece and here is the case with the interior dimensions:
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1060
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »

One of my extra pieces is spoken for.  I have two more.  It looks like postage will be just a few cents over $2 (in a big manila envelope, with a couple pieces of cardboard to resist puncturing.  Speak up if you want one or both.  One for $6.75 shipped/Paypal.  Two for $12.00 shipped/Paypal.  Again, they're 8 inches by 8 inches by 2 inches and the cheapest order you can place at www.foamorder.com is for about $20 once you figure in shipping.

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
^
+T - Excellent suggestion.

Yup, I like this.  Easy and much smarter than just keeping them directly in my Pelican case.  Thanks for this simple but elegant idea.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
My last piece of foam is sold pending payment.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com