Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions: Mini-MP > AD-20?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Opinions: Mini-MP > AD-20?
« on: February 08, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
Anyone have opinions on how this does/would sound? I love the Apogee sound (having used the Mini-ME on a few occasions) with my mics but would like to keep a digital signal running to DAT, rather than running the Mini-MP straight into my deck. I've yet to try a Mini-MP and am hoping to borrow or rent one in the next couple of months. Any retailers out there offer equipment rentals?

Let the "burned toast" comments begin...  ;D
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Opinions: Mini-MP > AD-20?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 12:13:14 PM »
I say, don't do it. You'd crap up the Mini-MP's goodness by running it through a second, not-so-hot pre in the AD-20. I think you'd be better off running the MP straight into your deck and getting a diff. AD later.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 12:21:09 PM »
also the traditional apogee sound you are thinking of rarely comes from their pre's, its all about their A/D conversion.  the MMP isnt exactly that traditional apogee sound

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 06:17:35 PM »
yeah, I used a minimp last weekend and have heard 2 different tapes made with it.... I think it sounds pretty clean. if you want that "Apogee" sound you should pickup a minime.

oh yeah and the lights on the minimp are really obnoxious!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »
yeah, I used a minimp last weekend and have heard 2 different tapes made with it.... I think it sounds pretty clean. if you want that "Apogee" sound you should pickup a minime.

oh yeah and the lights on the minimp are really obnoxious!

so how does the mini-mp stack up against the other suspects...V2, MP-2, Sax, etc.?  Sound, ergo's, power options...etc...inquiring minds want to know!

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 06:43:04 PM »
ergos, well it's still got the apogee design but the knobs are much tighter than on the minime. if you're already running the minime then the ergo's won't be an issue.

It runs off of 6v which is nice.

I only listened to a bit of a STS9 show and the opening Ozomatli set (I used it only for the ozo set) and I think it sounds very clean but I'd be totally talking out of my ass if I said much more than that.

Adam gave it quite a workover the past few weeks so I'd bet he'll offer up some opinions soon. Paging Mr. Nizzle!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »
i think you'd be best going for a used minime, which probably wouldn't be too much more expensive than the mmp > ad-20 combo.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »
good info..thanks...just interested....it doesnt seem that anyone is really jumping out from a taping user perspective to get this box...

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 06:50:03 PM »
Adam and Daryan are the only two people that I've heard of using the box.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
i think you'd be best going for a used minime, which probably wouldn't be too much more expensive than the mmp > ad-20 combo.

I have an AD-20 so I figured buying an MP would be cheaper than a ME. FWIW though, I really like the recordings I've made with 463 (Jim Williams mod) > Mini-Me, but was primarily wondering if there's a big difference in sound between the MP and the ME. Thanks for the input.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 07:49:08 PM »
huge difference.

sell the ad20 and you can get a used minime for cheaper than a minimp (which you will surely have to buy new)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 07:55:34 PM »
huge difference.

sell the ad20 and you can get a used minime for cheaper than a minimp (which you will surely have to buy new)

hell, I have seen a couple go for $850-$950 (the minime that is) on ebay in the past month or so....

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 08:00:10 PM »
I sold mine for the equivalent of $950 (modsbm-1 estimated at $550+$400 cash).

when/if I buy another one it will be for around $900/950.... definitely not more.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I am a real American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 08:32:43 PM »
I wouldn't run this because it would be 2 pre's.  As far as i know you can't bypass the pre in the AD-20.  If you really want to run the mini-mp pick yourself up a GP ADC-20.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 11:42:43 PM »
I wouldn't run this because it would be 2 pre's.  As far as i know you can't bypass the pre in the AD-20.  If you really want to run the mini-mp pick yourself up a GP ADC-20.

Denecke sells a 16db attenuator cable that is used to negate the preamp gain in the AD-20 if you choose to run a pre in front of it.  I still would not recommend doing this.

I would investigate a modSBM way before considering running an ADC-20.  I ran both of these and much preferred the modSBM.  True, it costs a little bit more, but is well worth it.

I agree with the other opinions who have stated that the thing to do is sell the AD-20 and pick up a used MiniMe instead if you are thinking of a MiniMP > AD-20 combination.  If you are on a tight budget and want a significant upgrade, think about selling the AD-20 and go with transformers and a modSBM-1.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 11:48:36 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com