Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I may try my first SBD Matrix w/UA-5 tomorrow...  (Read 6473 times)

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
I may try my first SBD Matrix w/UA-5 tomorrow...
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:34:45 PM »
Any Advice?
Im gonna be running the SBD into iether the 1/4 inch or RCA's in the Back, and my mics infront.  I know the Soundguy, so he has no problem adjusting the Output of the SBD for me from the Board.
What Ratio of the SBD/Mics should i try? 50/50?
How sensitive is the input knob on the back of the UA-5?
Anything else?

thanks,
Rhys
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:I may try my first SBD Matrix w/UA-5 tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:56 PM »
well it depends on what you want- dont go 50/50 though.  if you think the sbd is gonna be really nice then go 70 on the sbd and 30 on the mics, the general rule of thumb, from my experience, is more board, less mics, but thats only if the board is good.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:02:39 PM »

well it depends on what you want- dont go 50/50 though.  if you think the sbd is gonna be really nice then go 70 on the sbd and 30 on the mics, the general rule of thumb, from my experience, is more board, less mics, but thats only if the board is good.
Thanks JP for the info.  Id rather have more of the Board and alittle of the Mics, so ill try to 70/30.
Will the -3 LED Light blink for the Combined signal? Or still only for the XLR Input?

Also, I usually run 24/48...will i still be able to do this since im using the Rear Inputs?  I assume yes, but i dont want to make an ASS out of U and ME  ;D

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 10:05:19 PM by herrmann2burn »

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:16:54 PM »
i dont know, have only run a ua-5 one time in my life and never with both ins

Offline flask

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:53:34 PM »
I agree, I've made some great taped with a 70/30 aud/sbd mix. However, I've also made some equally great taped with a 30/70 mix. A lot of times I will base the mix on how loud the crowd is. If it's a quiet crowd and I'm in the sweet spot, 30/70 (gave or take a few) can sound mighty nice.

Don't forget about the delay factor between what your mics are picking up and what the sbd is giving you. If your far enough back with your mics, you'll need to start putting some delay on the sbd feed.

Alec
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »
I agree, I've made some great taped with a 70/30 aud/sbd mix. However, I've also made some equally great taped with a 30/70 mix. A lot of times I will base the mix on how loud the crowd is. If it's a quiet crowd and I'm in the sweet spot, 30/70 (gave or take a few) can sound mighty nice.

Don't forget about the delay factor between what your mics are picking up and what the sbd is giving you. If your far enough back with your mics, you'll need to start putting some delay on the sbd feed.

Alec
Oh yeah, what is the distance/delay ratio?  I plan on setting up my mics very close to the SBD, becuase usually the Crowd can get pretty rowdy.  Hopefully the Board will be somewhat in the center...ive never been to this venue before.  If i need a delay, can i have the soundman put it on for the output of the SBD?  
Another question...i record in 2 channels with Soundforge...this UA-5 will just mix the 2 inputs into 2 channels, right?  I dont need a 4 track program, right?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 11:03:22 PM »
you're going to need your own delay.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 11:54:28 PM »
you're going to need your own delay.

Ok, so what is the Maximum distance i can be from the Sound Source without having to add Delay?

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 12:43:17 AM »
the 1/4 spots on the back of a ua-5 are outputs. mine is sitting here on my desk for transfers, and its says they are outputs.  but i've ran matrix's with it, no problems for the most part.  i ran rca's in and adjusted as neccesary from them, then ran my mics, no delay needed, but i was running sound and whatnot, and i did my best to guys the delay with the room, and put my mics in the right place i guess, cause ther isn't any that i know of.  

but the mix i made was like 60% sbd, 40 mics, and it was too SBD sounding, the only good thing was the stereo mix i ran on the board.  i'd actually run the other way, 60%+ mics, and 40 or less sbd.  it might be cause i like aud recordings.. but yea, some sbd's are nice, but the overall blend is my favorite.  i'd say try it, and see what you like, try running 50/50 and make and assumption for next time what needs more..  its just hard to run it right like that.  u almost need 2 separate checks of each individual signal.  from mics/sbd.  good luck, hope it works out. peace.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 12:43:22 AM »
ok, there are no 1/4'' inputs on the back of the ua5. there are only coax, optical, and rca inputs on the back so unless the venue has an AD with a spare digi outt you will need to run the board feed into the rca inputs.
now if your ua5's preamps are stock, you can run 1/4" on the inputs in the front as they are designed for both xlr(loZ) and 1/4"(hiZ).  if the pre's have been oade modded then the 1/4" inputs on the front have been disabled. the problem is, if you go this route, then you will need some other mixer for xlr inputs from the mics, or xlr>rca transfromers.

So i recomend going mics, xlr in the front, and SBD, rca in the back.  How you adjust the percentages depends, to me, on the sound of the room and where you are located.  if i am in a good sounding room and have long enough cables to run the board feed to the sweet spot, then, like flask said, i put more audience into the mix(unless crowd is nuts). if i'm off center and it sounds just ok by the board, where i'm set up, then i go 50/50.  if it sounds like shit where my mics are, then mostly board into the mix. so "be the judge" when you get there.

The delay, IMHO, can start to be slightly noticeable at distances past ~50+ft. others may have different opinions since we are talking milliseconds of delay here. the more board mix you have in the mix, the less audible the delay will be. I think the delay is most important for the people gonig for a 50/50 matrix where there mics are far away(think big bands' archivists).  you will most likely be fine without a delay.

yikes that was long; hope my small diatribe helped! sounds like you'll be fine. there are definitely some board members on here who own and/or have used delay units in the field that can definitely provide better info for you on that topic. good luck using the ua5 for matrixing. once you get the level adjusting down you will be making some sick tapes!

peace,
Brian
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 12:45:27 AM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 09:11:12 AM »
Thanks guys.  Ill let you know how it turns out.
~Rhys

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 10:03:26 AM »
hey Rhys!

Where are you going to be taping?

cleantone

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 10:12:09 AM »
as for the delay. It verys even with different frequencies. Your best be it to have your mics onstage to avoid delay. Use the stage snake to send your mics to the board and into your UA-5. There is no MATH for making a matrix. Listen to make your judgment. Don't think about ratios and percentages.

If your gonan have you mics in the crowd you will get different amounts of delay. It only gets VERY obvious at a good distance.

jpschust

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
cleantone, there is math for the matrix, however its a pain- it varies with temperature and distance from the stage- i think 15ft per ms at  65-70 degrees or something like that- i totally forget.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 10:23:55 AM »
Yeah, I've run my UA5 matrix several times.  You will have to experiment with your input levels both back and front to get a good even mix.  Its tough sometimes, you get home and there's too much AUD (happened to me), or too much SBD (again, its happened), or echo from delay (too far back - about 50ft.).

Recently I've switched to XLR out from my local bars SBD and it goes into the RCAs on the back (2x XLR>RCA cables) and ths signal is much hotter than the RCA out from the SBD.  The last MAT I ran (which came out great), was RCA in at 9am, and the mic inputs a 1pm.

I have no idea what that mean percentage wise and whatnot, but that's where the mark on the dial points, approximately, if you imagine the dials as clocks...

Anyways, I'm doing it again tonight, and find the best bet is to guess a good SBD level before you start, and then bring the mic up until you hear them.  I approx with the PA music/crowd noise before the show thru headphones.  Once the show starts, its all a matter of feel and guesswork, I'd say...  Using a pair of amplified headphones helps a little, but at a loud show with loud crowd...

As for the light, I find that it starts to blink before my Nomad overloads/clips, so I'm not worried about the ocassional flash... At it is a combo of both inputs...  Its metering the output...

And you should be able to go 24/48 running matrix...

Good luck and B&P the set if it comes out good!!!  I'll do the same with my tapes from tonight's show!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com