Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 > CA9100 > CAFS  (Read 2636 times)

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
PCM-M10 > CA9100 > CAFS
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Hi
just recently I completed my brand new recording set. I tested it trying to record with my stereo playing loud in my living room.
First I put the cafs directly in mic-in with the plug-in power ON. I had a good recording with good signal.
Then I put the cafs in the preamp and then in line-in. The recording was more quiet even if I put the rec level in 10 and the preamp in max gain. With both parts in unity the recording was really really quiet.
My final attempt was with the preamp connected mic-in with plug-in power OFF. I think I had the best results this way.
Am I doing something wrong?
I want to use it for recording rock concerts seating in front of the stage.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PCM-M10 > CA9100 > CAFS
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
I have some shows up on Dime right now: CAFS > CA9100 > M10:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=318724
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=319650
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=321700

The BOC and John Anderson were taped very close to one of the mains. I always run line-in, use as much gain from the 9100 but not so much it overloads, and am probably around unity on the deck.

I never use mic in, not with the having the 9100, that defeats the purpose of having a pre-amp.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
Chris does not recommend using plug in power with any of his mics, though some of them seem to work fine with the M10's PIP. I don't know if the CAFS is one of those.

As Belexes says, I would go line in with the preamp. Plug in power setting has no effect on the line in.

I would start with the M10 at level 6 (unity gain) and the ST-9100 at full gain (maybe 2:00-3:00 if you expect the show to be extremely loud). If the level is too high, bring it down with the ST-9100. As an extra precaution, if the show is loud and the ST-9100 is near maxed, make sure its clip indicator isn't lighting. I don't think that will happen though if the M10 is at unity gain and the M10's levels are are staying under 0 dB. I actually never look at my clip indicator and have never had a problem.

If you need more gain and the ST-9100 is already maxed, you can raise the  level with the M10.   
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I just want to add some advices by Chris Church for anyone interested in the future. We can use the cafs directly in mic-in with plug-in power ON for acoustic shows. And we can use the preamp in the mic-in with plug-in power OFF with no fear to harm the devices.
Cheers

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I just want to add some advices by Chris Church for anyone interested in the future. We can use the cafs directly in mic-in with plug-in power ON for acoustic shows. And we can use the preamp in the mic-in with plug-in power OFF with no fear to harm the devices.
Cheers

That is correct for situations where you need lots of gain you can use my preamp on the mic input just remember to start with my preamp at about 80% of the way and then slowly increase the gain on the mic input until you have the level that you need.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com