Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 76570 times)

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
Maybe i'll rephrase the question.

How does the r-44 know which .wav files to play out of each channel?

what if I save 4 wav files from my computer to an sd card.  How would the R-44 know what to do with it?

A computer will generally only play one sound file at a time, per application.

Bring all 4 into a workstation and you can pan left-right.
I'm not sure how to mix multichannel surround. I never really thought about outputting to more than stereo?
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
He's asking about playing the files back using the R-44.

R-44 numbers the files it creates 1.WAV, 2.WAV etc.  Each WAV contains either a single monophonic channel, 2 interleaved channels (stereo), or 4 interleaved channels (in a single polyphonic file), depending on how you setup the recorder.

To copy WAV files to a card with the intent of playing them back using the R-44:
Create a folder with a .pjt extension. Populate it with from 1 to 4 monophonic WAVs, or 1 to 2 stereo WAVs, or a single 4-channel polyphonic WAV.  The recorder will then recognize the files and play them as if they were recorded directly on the machine.

[edit- if using 2-channel stereo files, 1.WAV = chs 1&2 and 2.WAV = chs 3&4]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:56:09 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #437 on: November 08, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
thank you master gutbucket.... was that in the manual?  i couldnt find it, and it was one of the first questions I was looking for even before I bought it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #438 on: November 08, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »
Dunno if it's in the manual or not.  I do it frequently.

When playing back on the R-44 you can set the RCA outputs to be either individual outputs of channels 1-4, or to output a L/R monitor-mix that duplicates the headphone output.  In the second case, RCA out #1&3 are Left and RCA out #2&4 are Right. 

Also, keep in mind that there is no alternate channel assignment or panning ability provided for the monitor mix. Channels 1&3 are always hard panned Left and channels 2&4 are always hard panned Right.  But there is a work around I sometimes use- To effectively pan channel 1 (and/or channel 3) to center in the monitor mix, switch on the Mid/Side decoder effect for that pair (set for playback, not record) and set Width to "0".  This effectively mutes channel 2 (and/or 4).  In that way you can have channels 1&2 hard-panned Left/Right and channel 3 panned center (or vice versa with 3&4 routed L/R and ch 1 panned center).  If M/S "Width" is not set to "0" you'll get the other channel of that pair mixed in instead of muted, also panned to center but with polarity inverted in the Right channel.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #439 on: November 08, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
Some years ago I got Naiant to make me a custom monitor mixer box for the R-44 to allow panning and levelling of the R-44 outputs.  I don't know whether they would now do such a job, but as I recall it, it worked well in the context of classical music location recording.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #440 on: November 09, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
A four or more input channel / stereo output mixer will do that as well, but most of them require mains power.  As I recall, that custom Naiant monitor mixer of yours was battery powered, no?

A small mixer modification I intended to pursue but never actually realized was to tap post-fader outputs for each channel. The intent being level and EQ control over each discrete channel output, in addition to having that control for a 2-channel stereo mix.  I searched but no small/inexpensive mixers seem to provide such a feature.  The R44 does provide that functionality, so this was really more important for the Tascam DR-680 which provides no level or EQ control over the individual outputs, but does provide individual channel level and pan control into the stereo mix bus.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #441 on: November 09, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
But all that said..
Elguapo511, your best bet will likely be to simply import the 4 mono files, or 2 stereo files into whatever multichannel editor you use on the computer and do all the mixing "in the box".

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
Yes, that mixer was indeed battery powered.  It also provided a stereo mix to a backup recorder, and I think a monitor return from that backup to check it was working too.  Sadly, it has sat in my recording bag unused for a few years now since I more or less retired from the recording scene.  Can't bring myself to part with my gear, though!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com