Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-05 or Olympus LS-5, help me choose  (Read 6634 times)

Offline MAP68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Roland R-05 or Olympus LS-5, help me choose
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Hi & hello all,

As this is my first post I thought I'd jump straight in & ask for your collective help in choosing a new recorder for me.  I'm on a really tight budget due to limited funds (I'm disabled & can't work due to loss of use of my right arm, hence tight budget).  I'm limited to £160 max for the recorder & have narrow my choices down to either the Roland R-05 or a Olympus LS-5.  Both are so closely priced, specs differ so slightly I can't make my mind up.

I like the pre-record 2 second buffer of the R-05, but it doesn't offer a remote; where-as the LS-5 has a remote available as an additional option.  From what I understand the LS-5 is effectively a LS-11 but without that aditional pack-ins such as software & remote etc.

I read this on one German site:

"In an interview with Olympus we were assured that the LS-5 built-in microphones and technology are identical to the LS-11.  The new recorder is supplied only with less equipment, less memory and in a different exterior color."

So if this is true, surely the LS-5 makes for a better purchase?

I was wondering if anyone can help me out here, what do you all think?

Cheers

Mark

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland R-05 or Olympus LS-5, help me choose
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
The two recorders have similar price ($200 in USA) and similar preamp performance.  The LS-5 has superior battery life.  The R-05 will handle somewhat louder sources before overloading.   I prefer the LS-5's control layout and display, but I could live with either one.  I see why you're having trouble choosing between these two recorders.

Two models that Tapers Section readers recommend are the Tascam DR-2d and the Sony PCM-M10.  The Tascam is less expensive, and is capable of recording mic-in and line-in simultaneously.  The Sony has excellent battery life and very good built-in mics.  You'll find lots of information on these two recorders on this board.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
I'd go with the R05!!  I had one, but never used it.  I liked the size and build plus roland has had proven track record with the R09HR. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »
Another vote for the R-05 here.  It's a great piece of kit for the price -- around £155 in the U.K.  I'm thinking of getting one myself, for a second rig.

Flintstone mentions the Sony PCM-M10, which is a wonderful recorder, but difficult to find cheap in the U.K., especially if you care about having the 240V AC adaptor.  (The ones offered on Amazon U.K. are U.S. imports with a 110V adaptor in the box.)  I recently picked up a brand-new M10, with 240V adaptor, from Creative Video in the Midlands at the bargain price of £159 + shipping.  Unfortunately for the OP, Creative Video have now increased the price on their website to £230.

But anyway ... having used the R-09HR prior to switching to the Sony, I would have no hesitation in going for the R-05.

Hemming and hawing over the quality of the respective internal mics is moot, IMO.  It depends what you are recording, of course, but it's worth budgeting for even a cheap set of externals, especially if you want to record music.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:49:25 AM by stepeanut »
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »

I read this on one German site:

"In an interview with Olympus we were assured that the LS-5 built-in microphones and technology are identical to the LS-11.  The new recorder is supplied only with less equipment, less memory and in a different exterior color."

Yes, the LS-5 is identical to the LS-11.

The only differences are a smaller internal memory and it does not ship with the case and remote control that the LS-11 does.

I would go for the LS-5, myself - I have used the LS-10 since it came out and recently also got the LS-20M.

Offline Jema

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
I have a LS-5, and one thing that comes to mind is that it's quite ergonomic and simple to use with one hand. Is the R-05 good for one hand use?

Also, will you be using internal or external mics, and for what situations? If external I think they would both do well, but as for internal I know that the LS-5 is a bit noisy. If a well-defined stereo field and directivity isn't important, it could be worth it to stretch to, or wait for, the M10.

Offline MAP68

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
Thanks all,

I'm grateful to everyone for the replies, the Sony is definately out of reach for the time being.  I plan to use the recorder for a bit of everything if I can, but it's main purpose is going to be recording bat calls via a BatBox Baton bat detector.  The tracks will be uploaded to a PC, into Batscan.  With a stereo lead from the ‘line out’ of the Baton connected to a recorder, it will produce sonograms, allowing detailed analysis of calls when used with BatScan software.

However over the weekend I have been inspired by the London Sound Survey to perhaps expand my horizons.  I fully intend to buy or make an external microphone at some point.  Major purchases have to resevered for birthdays & Xmas, little bits & pieces purchased from Fleabay as & when I can find a bargain.

Tell me, which of the two has the better build quality?

Cheers

Mark

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
Will you be using the bat signal?

Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Tell me, which of the two has the better build quality?

Welcome to TS, Mark.

I've never handled any of the Olympus recorders but recently picked up an R-05 to replace my aging and well-used R-09.  The build on the -05 seems a bit more rugged, heavier and "tighter" (for lack of a better word) than the -09.  I've never babied my R-09 and it's still ticking without any hiccups (got an incredibly good deal on the R-05 which is why I bought it) so that can give you a rough indication of build quality.  I also think they've improved the overall ergonomics by putting some of the controls on the -05 in better/easily-accessible spots.  Someone mentioned the ability to operate it with one hand, which I haven't had any problems doing with the R-05; the most needed buttons are on the front of the recorder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com